week out, in's & out's of my week | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

week out, in's & out's of my week week out, in's & out's of my week

Unread 04-07-2009, 10:28 PM
week out, in's & out's of my week

I'm a week out from my surgery. I honestly must say that I was extremely surprised by this surgery.
Rather than have the epidural, I had a spinal. The doctors decided that without consulting me. This was to let me pee as soon as possible the next day. Then to top it off, I woke up twice during surgery. I honestly don't remember if my dr noticed I was awake or I told them I was awake. I don't remember pain, I remember looking up and he asked if i wanted to stay awake and somehow I indicated no. The second time, he said, she's stitching you up, you should stay awake and I think I said no. So that was a horrible experience. I guess because of the spinal he did not put me under as deep. That was terrifying.

When I woke up in recovery, the pain started almost immediately, again, a surprise, because I thought the spinal would take care of the pain. They gave me Fentanyl, which was even touching the pain. They gave me Morphine once I was in my room. I don't remember much about that afternoon. I know I cried because it hurt so bad and the catheter was pulling and hurting. Finally, I ended up on Dilaudid.
I got up the next morning and did my voiding trials. Nothing, not a drop. They were going to send me home with a Foley cath and I begged them to please, please let me cath myself at home. After showing them I knew what I was doing, I was released.
I got about 400-500 ml every hour - 1 1/2 until Friday, when I finally voided on my own. I still had to cath because I wasn't completely emptying my bladder.
I quit taking the Dilaudid on Monday and am only on Ibuprofen now. I also quit using the cath on on Monday. But I now have a bad bladder infection and went from taking 1 Macrobid at night to Cipro 2 times a day and she put me on Ultra C for the bladder spasms and the pain and pressure. Today, I have went to the bathroom 19 times, voiding about 100-150 ml each time.
I had a bowel movement on Monday, that hurt so bad, I sat and cried. I had to strain some. I hope I did not mess anything up. As a result, I have 2 very large external hemmoroids. So as if not being able to sit on my bottom from the surgery wasn't bad enough, now I have another reason. I got an inflatable cushion, it doesn't help at all.

I go to see my dr on Monday. I'm hoping she tells me all is well as far the actual surgical part goes. I have sneezed and coughed and I did not leak and that has not happened for over 8 years! I'm just worried about the frequency of my urination. I literally go at the top of the hour and sometimes more. I'm hoping she can give me some medication.

Sorry this turned into a novel, just wanted to let everyone know how things went. I'm going to reserve my opinion on whether or not this surgery was a good thing until after I see my Dr and give it a few more weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Re: week out, in's & out's of my week

Wow! Thanks SO MUCH for the report. I'll be watching for an update.
Unread 04-09-2009, 06:24 AM

Hi
Glad to hear you are recovering. I had A&P repairs on 12 Feb 09 and I am doing ok. I also had some horriffic bowel movements - hands shaking, sweats, chills, felt like vomiting. All kinds of spasms. Now almost 8 weeks later, things seem to be settling down a little but every day I ask myself if I am going back in to the hospital because everything has come crashing down and then an hour later, I think maybe it's ok. Could drive you crazy...
I think we all have to be very patient and take it easy.
Happy healing.
Anne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2009, 09:53 PM

Anne, I know how you feel about everything crashing down. I ended up back in the dr's office. Whew. Not sure I am prepared for the rest of this recovery! It has to get better, doesn't it?
Unread 04-12-2009, 03:35 PM

Wow! I'm sorry you had so many problems. I had general anesthesia and just assumed that's what they always did. I had some pain afterwards, but they gave me morphine over and over in recovery and sent me to my room with a morphine pump - also gave the nurse orders to give additional pain meds as needed, but I didn't need them and didn't use the pump but a few times throughout the night.

I voided on the first try after they removed the cath the next morning, thank goodness. Like you, though, I did develop a nasty bladder infection a week after going home. Until the infection cleared up, I had to go to the bathroom really often so wonder if that's what your problem is?

I got really constipated as well and ended up having to really strain. I was terrified that I had messed something up, but when I reported it at my 1 week check up, both the gyn and urollogist said it would be really hard to mess it up straining with a bowel movement.

2 weeks past surgery I sneezed and leaked and that scared me to death. I leaked again a few days later just from having a full bladder and was really depressed because I just knew that the surgery had failed. I went back at 3 weeks for the urologist to be sure that the infection cleared up, though, and he said all of this was perfectly normal and not to worry about it at that point.

I'm 3 1/2 weeks out now and last night had a sneezing fit with a full bladder and didn't leak at all - not even a drop!

So, this is all just to say to try not to worry too much at this point. The urologist explained that the bladder is a muscle and it's normal for it to have spasms and contract, etc from the stitches for at least 6 weeks or so.
Unread 04-12-2009, 08:34 PM

Catgal, sounds like your doing really well. I guess I'm just terrified any thing I do will "mess" it up. I go on Tuesday for my 2 week checkup, hopefully, I will find out what this pain is and get something a little stronger the the otc creams I have been using for the hemmoroids.
Thanks for your story, I'm glad to hear that someone is doing so well. I hope you continue to heal so well!
Unread 04-12-2009, 09:26 PM

There is a light at the end of the tunnel!! I am 8 1/2 weeks out from my surgeries and I am pleased to say that I'm no longer leaky and I don't have to wear an incontinence pad.....

I went through a bunch of the stuff that you ladies reported and was scared witless that I had somehow undone all the good that the surgery had done!!

I just needed to be patient with my healing body!!
Unread 04-12-2009, 10:01 PM

I understand what you are talking about Cricket. I have that same fear going on. I was really worried about the constipation. I worry about every pain convinced that it's something coming undone. When I coughed and leaked after 2 1/2 weeks, I absolutely freaked! My urologist has assured me that it's all perfectly normal so I'm just holding my breath and hoping he's right. It appears that he is since the leaking has resolved itself. I'm still having pain off and on, but I'm trying to have faith that it just normal healing as well.

On top of everything else, I had hemmoroid surgery 3 years ago and now they are back as well. That surgery made this one feel like a piece of cake -- talk about a pain in the *****! Literally. I'm going to look into getting those fixed this time with laser surgery (supposed to be almost painless), since I've now more than met the deductible on my insurance this year -- might as well get everthing fixed this year. Not getting anything done for a while, though. Enough is enough.
Unread 04-12-2009, 10:02 PM

That is so good to hear Laura. You are 5 weeks ahead of me and it helps me believe that what the doctors are telling me - that it's all normal and is going to be ok.
Unread 04-14-2009, 06:20 AM

Laura, your op. was the same day as mine.
Hi everyone. I have had little leaks of urine over the last 8 weeks. Sometimes it is after I have emptied my bladder and about a minute later I feel a wet spot on my undies. Also I have had air bubbles coming out of my bladder. Sometimes I have felt my bladder felt like it was folded and other times, coming down again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register