Scheduled TVH Abnormal mammogram and HRT? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abnormal mammogram and HRT? Abnormal mammogram and HRT?

Unread 04-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Abnormal mammogram and HRT?

I'm freaking out a little!

I am having a TVH/BSO on Apr 29th. I had a mammogram on Friday and they just called and told me I had microcalcifications (changes from the one I had last yr) so I have to go in for a magnification next Tues.

Does anyone know if an abnormal mammogram, even if it turns about to be nothing serious, will affect my ability to go on HRT?

Good grief! Not what I needed to worry about right now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Re: Abnormal mammogram and HRT?

Hi That depends on what's found in the follow-up mammogram and the state of your DRs' knowledge about hormones, HRTs and breast cancer risk.

First... try not to panic. Many, many women have to have a closer look due to microcalcifications. Only about 15 to 20% of those end up having biopsies afterwards; and only about 15 to 20% of those who have biopsies end up having any form of cancerous cells. So, the odds are you're just fine and they may just want to follow up in six months to watch for changes.

Second, there is no evidence that estrogen replacement causes breast cancer. The data from the WHI study showed a slight increase in risk in women who used Prempro, which is Premarin (conjugated equine estrogens) plus the synthetic progestin called Provera, but no increase in risk (actually a very small decrease!) in women on Premarin alone. The conclusion from that is that it's the synthetic progestin that's responsible for the increase in risk, and if you don't have a uterus and don't have any history of endometriosis, most likely you would not be taking Provera anyway.

However, some DRs are still under the impression that estrogen replacement causes cancer, and if you happen to have one of those, you may end up wishing to switch DRs after the surgery or spend a lot of time and energy educating yours.

There are some great links to information about hormones and breast cancer in our Resources directory in the Breast Health and Hormone sections. I'd encourage you to browse through there so if the topic comes up between you and your DRs, you'll feel confident about your ability to discuss it.

Good luck with your surgery, and also with the repeat mammogram!

-Linda
Unread 04-09-2009, 07:06 PM

Thanks so much for the reassurance - I really figured that the probability of this being anything significant was low, but definitely was scared that it might result in a resistance to HRT - in which case, I might really reconsider having my ovaries removed.

I will check out the articles you referenced - it is so hard not to let your mind wander to the worst case scenario! And scheduling this surgery has been a long time coming...it just seems like incredibly bad timing.

Thanks again for the response, and I will definitely be contacting my dr immediately if the results of the next exam aren't positive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2009, 07:30 PM

I just want to give you my support. I am going through almost the same thing you are. I had my TAH BSO 7 weeks ago and my doc sent me for my first Mamogram at my 6 week exam. Lucky me gets called back for a follow up mammo and ultra sound. Even luckier me they found a 1.5 cm mass in my left breast that needs "further testing".

I go tomorrow for a consulatation at the Breast Center to discuss my options. You are so right the timming could be so much better.

Good luck to you.
Unread 04-09-2009, 08:00 PM

My heart is so with you - please take care and I wish you the best of outcomes. Also, thank you for sharing - it always helps to know we are never alone in these stressful times.

Keep us posted of what happens.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register