feeling sad and very scared today/tonight | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

feeling sad and very scared today/tonight feeling sad and very scared today/tonight

Unread 04-18-2009, 09:08 PM
feeling sad and very scared today/tonight

Well, it's scheduled for this Wednesday at 12:30pm--I am feeling depressed today and tonight. All of the sudden I got terrified of the waiting I am going to have to do the 2 hours in the waiting room, before surgery.

I did an intake over the phone with the pre-op dept. and she said quit smoking 24 hours before, bowel prep starts at 2pm Tuesday, and I was told 1-2 days in the hospital, is 1 day realistic?

Please someone tell me, I really feel crappy. Also--I heard form some woman in Starbucks yesterday that she gained weight after her hysterectomy, and if you sisters could see me, I look pregnant! I am ravenous, my belly is extended, and my breasts are so sore! My period is due, but my body doesn't usually act like this. I told my surgeon, and he said it was my hormones, but huh? from the fibroids and the cysts?

I am trying to read posts here, but am not having any luck, my computer is so slow, and not sure where I should be reading at this point--pre-op (since it is done) or post op, what to expect?

please guide
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Re: feeling sad and very scared today/tonight

Hi,

I am one week behind you, I am schedule for the DaVinci robotic hysterectomy and they are removing everything including ovaries. My emotions are all over the place.

I go for my pre-op on Tuesday, so I will find out about bowel prep etc. I've heard conflicted reports on weight gain after a hysterectomy. I am afraid that with HRT that it will affect my weight but all I can plan on doing is eat very healthy and resume exercising once I'm released.

I am also schedule to stay in the hospital over night, 23 hours to be exact. Sounds very strange, but from what I hear it is standard.

I am just ready for this to be over with. The anticipation is horrible. Just think how wonderful we will feel once its over with!

Keep me posted!
Unread 04-19-2009, 06:49 AM

Some have reported gaining weight after hysterectomy. I had a tah/bso almost 7 years ago and am still about the same weight as before my surgery. I think that it can depend somewhat on personal lifestyles and eating habits. I think that you should mention this and any other concerns with your dr; maybe he/she will have some helpful advice

There are some wonderful Pre-op Checkpoints that might be helpful to you here:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_preop.htm

Best wishes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2009, 12:08 PM

DoneWithPain,

What type of surgery are you having, If it is RALH, 1 day is very realistic. I had RALH on 4/10 at 12:30 and was reliesed on 4/11 at about the same time. As far as being at the hospital 2 hrs early, you are not going to be just sitting there. They will be preping you and getting you ready to go into the OR.

I did not have to do bowel prep for the surgery but I have had to do them in the past. The hardest part for me was getting the stuff down. If you have to take magnisium citrate DO NOT get the lemon flavor, and don't add the cherry flavoring to Go Lyte.

I promise waiting is the hardest part. You are 3 days out, its normal to freak out. I did and I was excited about the surgery.

No smoking for 24 hrs. Buy some gum, try to keep busy and do things that will take your mind off of it. I know you will be doing bowel prep in the afternoon so you will be busy with that. As far as when you are in the castle. You will be on pain meds and shouldn't think much about it. I didn't.

I know you are dealing with things that are out of the ordinary with your period coming. I think your body somehow knows what you are about to do and goes for its last hooraa. I had the heaviest period that I have had in years the week before my surgery. The PMS was also worse. Just remember, a couple more days and it will be over.

Good luck.

Don't forget to smile
Unread 04-19-2009, 12:18 PM

I really want to encourage you. I am 34 years old. I just had a TAH/BSO on Wednesday April 15th. I was very ready to go home the next day and I feel I would have been fine, but the Dr. made me stay because of blood pressure issues.
It honestly wasn't bad at all. I feel good, just like I had a heavy workout. You don't have to worry about gaining weight. Just modify your diet to have less calories during your "resting period" of 6-8 weeks. After the Dr. give you the OK to start some excercise, get out there and walk or do whatever you like to do. The best thing to do is eat in moderation. Try to eat healthy, and don't stress about it.
Your stomach will go down. It may take a little time, but taking some good probiotics (I use Dr. Ohirra's 12 Plus) will help!
Be encouraged and be positive, it really isn't bad...it is how you look at it. Have a great day!
Unread 04-19-2009, 12:20 PM

Thanks~still a little scared, but just want to rest today, gonna go get something to eat.
Yep--I feel like a walking hormone!!!
My normal wieght is about 160, and I am at least 205 right now This all happend in the last few months.
Anyway, I fiugred it out--I am having a LAVH
I have looked at the checkpoint list, and I believe I am ready to go. I get my blood typed tomorrow.
I will NOT be going on HRT, at first, because I will have one ovary. I keep praying that this will be a new life for me, I feel it symbolizes a lot---emotionally AND physically, I can say goodbye to some "old ghosts"~being a Psych major now, I think like that :-)
The Fentynal patch is working, but just read another post re: pain killers. The Norco gives me a headache, I think it's the Acetominophen. Does narcotics make your ears ring? LOL This isn't funny. I'm so tired.
Rambling....I've been eating McDonalds, sugar by the handful, NOT like me. So, I may as well accept the fact I feel and look BLAH, and begin my new life in every sense of the word, post-op.
I am dealing with some issues w/brother who is abusive, but unfortunately, I have no other place to heal. I have no TV in my room, but a cozy bedroom, with books, mags, all set up, a fan, wish I could go buy a laptop! I told myself no more pack of cigs, and no more Starbucks, and here I go to go buy more cigs, and a DECAF Starbucks iced white mocha--oh well, I think it will be fine. I have all day Monday and Tuesday to really prep emotionally for this, and maybe just have 2-3 cigs.

Does it make sense to say that my thoughts are controlling my fear? When I think--'Gung ** and do it, I will be fine'--I am, but when I start the tiniest of worrying, especially about the anesthesia--I freak inside.
Unread 04-19-2009, 12:40 PM

I just had to comment, because it seemed like it was three days before my surgery that I was most freaked out also. I had terrible thoughts, but turns out it's normal and all will be just fine

I had TVH and I only spent 24 hours in the hospital in Tuesday morning and out before noon on Wednesday. I was fine, the nurses were all shocked they said they had never seen anyone one only stay one night that had had a hysterectomy. I thought that was strange. Maybe my type TVH, of hysterectomy, but I'm pretty sure yours is quite a bit less invasive.

Hang in there, honestly, I thought it sounded crazy too, but waiting IS the hardest part, you'll realize that and laugh about it on Thursday.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Unread 04-19-2009, 02:26 PM

I was the worst 4 days before surgery, but it will be here and done before you know it. As far as waiting in pre-op at the hospital, they will be talking to you probably the whole time: starting the IV, putting on your hose and socks, etc. That part did not seem bad to me because it went really fast - everyone (nurses, surgeon, anesthesiologist) coming and going and getting you ready.

Good luck to you on the surgery and your new start!
Unread 04-19-2009, 03:42 PM

Depending on the size of your fibroids it could cause the abdominal distension. As for gaining weight, I've lost weight....partially due to depression, partially due to watching my diet more closely and trying to get in more exercise.
As for feeling crappy and scared I think most of it go through it. You should read pre-op instructions and the very first set of post-op so you have things set up at home for yourself.
Since my hyster has been my one and only big surgery I was freaking out at the hospital. After they did some of the initial prep they let my husband come back to the prep room to sit with me and that helped calm me down a lot so if you have someone that can do that and the hospital allows it I would highly recommend it. Also I have trouble with them getting IV's into me so the first one hurt like crazy later I found out from a post here that you can request they put some anesthestizing agent on it to numb it. They came in and told me they had to do a 2nd one as back-up and I freaked out when that happened they said they could do it after the knocked me out and I never felt a thing. They started moving me from the prep area and dropped the twilight drugs, I remember them moving me to the surgery table and the next thing I started to wake up in recovery.

Hugs and hang in there.
Unread 04-19-2009, 06:05 PM

I am having my hysterectomy on Wed. April 22 also! mine is at 5:00 am - My dr, said I would go home in 24 hrs. I am having the lAVH leaving one ovary. So now you have a buddy - ME!! I am not nervous... I am very happy to have it done and my awful problems will go away. don't be scared be happy! We can go through it together.

LAVH leaving one ovary
PID, ovarian cyst
bleeding 6 months non stop

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register