Bedroom on 2nd floor - problem? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bedroom on 2nd floor - problem? Bedroom on 2nd floor - problem?

Unread 04-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Bedroom on 2nd floor - problem?

LavH april 22
My bedroom is on the 2nd floor - is that going to be a problem?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Re: Bedroom on 2nd floor - problem?

So was mine and I had no problems. Mostly spent my days in the recliner downstairs. Just take it slow and you should be fine.

Best wishes on Wednesday!
Unread 04-20-2009, 05:23 PM

My bedroom is also on the 2nd floor and I have concerns as well. My doctor said that since I won't have a big abdominal incision, it shouldn't be a problem. It still seems like it would be painful though.

Stonebo, were you able to go up the stairs immediately after surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2009, 05:39 PM

Yes, I slept in my bed the same night I came home from the castle. Like I said, just go slow and easy. Mostly, it just wore me out and made me pant like I'd run a marathon. I don't remember it being painful, just tiring!

I set up "base camp" in the family room in a recliner and did my napping there, so I only had to climb the stairs down once in the morning and up once each evening until I was feeling better. It really wasn't an issue at all.
Unread 04-20-2009, 05:56 PM

I plan on setting my "base camp" in my living room as well. I am even treating myself by buying a recliner! Your recovery sounds amazing and I hope mine is comparable. I am still a little worried though because I usually have to go to the bathroom at least once at night.

I guess I will just take it very slow like you said and if it gets to be too much, the couch or recliner will work until it gets better.

Thanks!
Unread 04-20-2009, 07:08 PM

My bedroom is also on the 2nd floor with a lot of stairs, I did have an abdominal hyster so I rented a twin bed and put it down stairs and I have just been staying downstairs and avoiding the stairs all together. My surgery was 11 days ago. I have the bed for another 10 days so hopefully by then I will be OK to walk up and down. You should be ok as long as your dr says it is okay to walk up and down, maybe just try going up and down just once a day. I brought all the clothes I would need downstairs so i have no reason to use the stairs at all.
Unread 04-20-2009, 09:26 PM

I was able to go up and down stairs from the day I came home from the hospital. I just took it easy. I found that it used my leg muscles more than my abdominal muscles, so it wasn't a problem.
Unread 04-20-2009, 09:58 PM

I had an LSH. My bedroom is on the third floor of my house. It was not a problem. I took is slow, going up the day after surgery.

I did stay up there for the first three days. My mother and daughter brought meals to me, so I lazed around with my TV and Laptop. Got up and walked around, then relaxed again....ah, I felt pampered.

Just take the stairs slowly and, as Cloris Leachman said in Young Frankenstein, "Hold on to the railing, the stair"vey" can be treacherous." LOL!
Unread 04-21-2009, 05:52 AM

My bedroom and only bathroom are on the 2nd floor! I had daVinci RALH/BSO on 4/10,and my doc said at my pre-op appointment that I could do the stairs, just to take it easy. That said--the first day home I came downstairs once. The next day, I came down twice. I've increased it a bit each day, but I can definitely tell if I've done the stairs too much (yesterday) by the increase in swelly belly.

Just take it slow and easy, and you'll be fine.

Hugs!

Liz
Endocervical adenocarcinoma 1a1
daVinci RALH/BSO 4/10/09
NFT 4/15/09 whoo hoo!
Unread 04-21-2009, 06:26 AM

I live in an old house, and my bedroom and shower are on the second floor. My post-op instructions said only one trip per day, but that was never going to work for me.

I didn't have any trouble with the stairs at all, and actually went straight up after returning from the hospital. Use the handrail and take it slow. You will be fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register