Scheduled TAH Bleeding amount after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bleeding amount after surgery Bleeding amount after surgery

Unread 04-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Bleeding amount after surgery

I am worried about the bleeding after surgery. Mostly so I can have some kind of protection ready for the bed. With a TAH, is there bleeding that I need to be ready for?

Do I need to stock up on pads or liners for the bed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Re: Bleeding amount after surgery

Rangerbrook,

I had a LAVH. Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure no matter what type of Hyst you have, I don't think you bleed more with one than with another. Therefore, know that I didn't bleed except for two days of spotting immediately after surgery. I spotted also near 6 weeks post-op during the time the stitches were dissolving, but that only last a couple days and again, it was nothing more than spotting. Going in, I thought it was going to be like recovering after a vaginal birth but I was seriously mistaken...there was no vaginal discomfort whatsoever.

I hope this helps somewhat. Good luck!
Unread 04-22-2009, 01:35 PM

Yes that helps.

I guess that makes sense, I mean our periods come form the uterus and it is gone. I was not thinking logical. :P Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2009, 07:10 PM

Definitely keep some pads around. Some of us have leakage for weeks while the stitches dissolve.
Unread 04-22-2009, 09:11 PM

I had my TAH/BSO 4 weeks ago and had absolutely no bleeding. Even when I was in the hospital after my surgery the nurses were shocked that I wasn't even spotting. So everyone is different.

I went out and bought pads before just in case, now I will have to have a pad burning party.LOL

God bless you and take good care of yourself after you surgery.

----------------------------
jj48
TAH/BSO mar.23/09
Unread 04-23-2009, 04:54 AM

no bleeding for me either, SAH BSO, I did wear pantiliners and a few days had slight bleeding nothing I worried about. I think everyone is different and every procedure is different, I would at least have some pads just in case and for sure have some pantiliners on hand. As soon as my catheter was out I put my big granny panties on with my pantiliner and I was set. I did have pads for in case but I never needed them. They say you can use them to clean your house with or wash the car. hahaha. Good luck to you
Unread 04-23-2009, 05:08 AM

I went into surgery bleeding....came out, not a drop. I had a SAH.
Unread 04-23-2009, 06:11 AM

HAHAHA A pad buring party! I like that but it would be just me. I think what I will do is what someone else here mentioned and donate them to the women bathroom here at work. I might do up a little basket with them and some hand lotions or something. Make it look girly.
Unread 04-23-2009, 07:34 AM

I may be unusual (well, I know I am!!) , but I had almost no discharge at all with my TAH. I had scant discharge at the hospital, and didn't need anything near the huge pads they gave me. I think that since my surgery, I have used a total of 5 thin pads. I just gave my supplies to my niece, because I will not be needing them anymore. Yay!!

Everyone is different, so it will be good to have a pack on hand, just in case.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register