catheter ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-24-2009, 11:04 PM
catheter ?

K I know what it it but does everyone get them??
I have had a D & C and my gall baldder out and never had one .

I also heard someone say that they got shaved "down there" OMG do they do that???? Im only scared of that lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2009, 12:15 AM
Re: catheter ?

I only had a catheter during surgery. It was put in after I was asleep and removed before I woke up. I had a TVH so I didn't have an external incision to worry about. Women who have incisions and have a catheter when they wake up are usually glad they do. From reading around here, having a catheter doesn't seem to be a big deal. Be sure to ask your doctor if you can expect to have a catheter when you wake up.

I wasn't shaved for my surgery. Some women are and some aren't. It is important to follow your doctor's instructions regarding shaving and/or waxing before surgery. Sometimes surgery can be cancelled because the woman shaved herself or had waxing done beforehand and any cut or irritation could risk infection. If you are shaved, again, I haven't read anything that would indicate that it's a big deal. Add this to your list of questions so you'll know what to expect.

You might want to check out the Pre-Op Page for lots of great information to help you prepare. Hang in there and remember, we're here for you!

Deb
Unread 04-25-2009, 01:03 AM

When I had my TVH/BSO, I woke up from surgery with a catheter that was left in place until the next morning. I was actually glad to not have to get up to go to the bathroom for the first night as I was still pretty groggy. As far as shaving, I was told by my surgeon that I could o it myself as long as I used an electric trimmer or they could do it in the hospital before my surgery. But if I chose to do it myself, they would still have o check that all the areas they wanted to do were done. It really is more your doctors' preference than anything else as far as I can tell. Hope that all goes well for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2009, 06:52 AM

You'll have one during surgery, but it will come out soon after you awake or when you are able to get up to use the bathroom - UNLESS you are also getting a bladder sling (for prolapse). You would know this ahead of time...
Unread 04-25-2009, 07:20 AM

I had one after my tah/bso. It was removed the next morning before I was sent to the showers. I was happy to have it the day of surgery too; it was good not to have to worry about getting up for that day

I was shaved a little - only the top part. It wasn't very bad; just a bit itchy when growing back.

Best wishes.

Unread 04-25-2009, 08:38 AM

I got a catheter, and I was shaved.

I was apprehensive about the catheter, because I they had trouble inserting one when I had a miscarriage years ago. In retrospect, I was glad to have it because I didn't have to get up the first 20 or so hours after surgery. As I understand it, they pump tons of liquids into you for surgery, and I would have been going back and forth constantly had I not had the catheter. I had no problems with it whatsoever, and resumed bathroom activity within 10 minutes of its removal. I did not get an infection, nor have any issues with it at all.

Was not a fan of the shaving either. They didn't shave a lot, but it was kind of embarrasing, and I have not enjoyed the growing back process. In all, though, it's pretty minor compared to everything else that's going on!

Best of luck to you.
Unread 04-25-2009, 08:42 AM

I had a TAH and the catheter was in place after I was a sleep and removed the next day. I was worried about the catheter but in the end I'm glad I had it. I didn't have to get up the day I had my surgery. I was pretty out of it that day.
As far as shaving, I had a bikini line cut and they shaved me just a little at the top after I was asleep.
Unread 04-25-2009, 09:36 AM

I had an LSH and they shaved me an inch or so at the top which I didn't even notice til the day after.

I had a catheter which they let me decide when to remove. I asked for it out about 6 hours after surgery because I tend to get urinary tract infections and having it in longer makes those more likely. After a few hours, they suspected I might not be emptying my bladder all the way. They used this cute little mini-ultrasound sort of thing on me and found I still had 200 cc's in me, so I got up, peed 200 more cc's and they did the test again and it STILL said 200 more. So she figured the instrument was broken and I was allowed to go back to sleep. :P

Talked to the doctor the next morning and she was unconcerned. Said I'd been peeing plenty.
Unread 04-25-2009, 10:50 AM

Don't worry about the catheter. I had never had one and was worried about it too. Well, I'm getting a TVT(bladder sling) when I have my TVH so I had to have urodynamics testing done. While there, I was actually shown how to do it and did it myself- in case I have to cath after the surgery. It was a bit embarassing, but pretty simply and not painful. I can't help with the shaving question, I am already bare down there.
Unread 04-25-2009, 06:26 PM

I am having a TAH with TVT and possible BSO, at my preop I was told that I would have surgery tuesday and get the catheter out thursday.
I think its a good idea because I am pretty sure walking to the bathroom 10 bazillion times the first day is out. LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register