Does surgical menopause last forever? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does surgical menopause last forever? Does surgical menopause last forever?

Unread 04-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Does surgical menopause last forever?

I know this has recently been touched on in another post under a different topic so I thought I might start a new thread here specifically for this subject bc I am very interested.....

Does surgical menopause last forever? The post I read before said that post menopause (natural- not surgical) the ovaries still produce about 40% estrogen.

I appreciate the knowledge here but I am so discouraged bc I was really hoping one day I could be weaned off HRT and deal with it in a way that is a little close to the natural way. Not saying that natural menopause is not hard enough bc it is but after so many years life seems to return to normal for most women at least emotionally.

Does this mean that for us who have no ovaries anymore that we will always experience the irritability, brain fog, hot flashes, depression etc. that we feel without HRT?

I always thought that after so many years the hormones we do have thru the adrenal glands and such would balance out and life could return to almost normal the way life does for women who go thru natural menopause.

I need more info on this so if you have any please share! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Re: Does surgical menopause last forever?

Menopause whether surgical or natural goes on "forever". The question is whether / when your body settles down and you don't have as severe of symptoms. From what I've been told w/ surgical menopause you will always be lower in hormones than natural until maybe way later in life. As for weaning off HRT, from what I've heard you can but your body may need to adjust again just as it would going through normal menopause because you decreased the hormones again.
Unread 04-26-2009, 03:27 PM

Menopause is unique for each woman and begins and ends on its own schedule. But once the symptoms start, women want to know, "How long will this go on?" Although there is a usual range for how long menopause symptoms will last, each woman will have her own tale to tell about the journey through menopause.

The vast majority of women will experience their menopause in a 2 to 10 year window of time, probably from their mid-forties to their mid-fifties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2009, 03:59 PM

IMHO surgical menopause lasts forever. I am almost 10 years into surgical menopause and still have symptoms if I attempt to lower my dosage of hrt. For me, the benefits are worth using it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register