Complex Hyperplasia with Atypia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Complex Hyperplasia with Atypia Complex Hyperplasia with Atypia

Unread 05-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Complex Hyperplasia with Atypia

I am so gratefull for this website. I was diagnosed with Complex Hyperplasia with Atypia. I am 45 years old. I have PCOS, am diabetic(Type 2) & obese. I went to the doctor because I was having hot flashes & wanted to know if I was starting menopause. He suggested an endometrial biopsy since I have the PCOS and no periods. He also prescribed progesterone. I got a call from him that he wanted me to have a vaginal ultrasound, & during the US the nurse called in the dr there and they then did a saline ultrasound. There were 4 polyps. At the D&C the gyn removed 3 of the 4 polyps, two polyps were benign and 2 were not, was advised it was Complex Hyperplasia with Atypia.
The 1st gyn/onc surg made me wait 2 1/2 hours, 1 with just a sheet and scared me badly. Could not stop crying. He wanted to do the lapro hyst advising since never had children could be very diff to tug & pull and still might not get it out so would have to do abdominal anyway.
From reading on this site got a 2nd opinion, total visit was 45 min, he kept talking about the safest surg being the abdominal. I am going with him and surg is May 6.
I am grateful for the booklet I got in the mail, it is helping a lot.
I feel guilty tho, since the hyperplasia might have been preventable, from what I have read, they say if I could have lost weight or taken Progesterone ( I react badly to it)....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Re: Complex Hyperplasia with Atypia

Just one more day until hysterectomy...
Unread 05-05-2009, 02:48 PM

I am sorry you have this dx and I know it is very scary to hear the C word even if used as a preC. By al means pls do NOT blame yourself or feel guilty in any way. In fact I wish gyns would begin educating their patients re the possible dangers of excess weight or taking certain hormones; etc; it might be a good incentive for some to lose,etc. Also, as you're aware there are many risk factors contributing to endometrial cancer including heredity, not having children, starting menses at an early age, etc. and generally we have no control over these.
You should be aware that you also have a very good chance of being in the precancer only stage and the surgery will get rid of that. IF cancer is there, it very likely would be in an early stage and thus the surgery alone could be the cure. In fact my gyn and gyn/onc both told me this gyn cancer is the "best" if one gets cancer as symptoms appear often before the cancer has developed.
May you have an easy and complications free surgery and hear good news afterwards. Remember to pamper the new from day one. Pls tell us how things went when you feel up to it. I'll be keeping you in prayer and sending positive thoughts.

peggiesue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2009, 05:42 PM

I also was told I had Complex Hyperplasia with Atypia. My surgery was in 2000 and all I needed to have done was the hyst -- no further treatment because it was confined to the uterus. Everything went well and I hope that you have good results as well. I even lost weight after surgery. The PCOS (which I also had in my late 20's) caused me to have irregular periods.
Take care of yourself and let others help you if you have the opportunity.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register