Nails and polish | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nails and polish Nails and polish

Unread 05-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Nails and polish

Oh no we can't have polish? I have acrylic nails. I will have to ask my Dr. if I can have clear polish on them. If there is no polish on them they are a little fuzzy to see through.

I usually have just the tips colored and decorated. I wonder if that is is alright. Dang. I was going to have them done before I go in as I wont be going in for a fill for about a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Re: Tomorrow is the big day! Exhausted and Scared

I'd definitely call the Dr. about the nails. I've had acrylic nails during a surgery before, and I just took the polish off them and then polished them myself when I felt better. I'd definitely go for a fill beforehand. Maybe your doc will be okay with clear.

I thought about having a massage, too, but it feels like there's a rock in my stomach (or as my doctor put it, a 12" softball). That would be uncomfortable. What about a facial? Or we could have massages and tell them to focus on everything but the back.

I'm still waiting to find out exactly what time my surgery is. They're supposed to call me by 5, and it's 3:47 now. I hope there's a miracle and I'm changed from "approximately 1:30 p.m." to a super-early morning surgery!
Unread 05-04-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerbrook View Post
Oh no we can't have polish? I have acrylic nails. I will have to ask my Dr. if I can have clear polish on them. If there is no polish on them they are a little fuzzy to see through.

I usually have just the tips colored and decorated. I wonder if that is is alright. Dang. I was going to have them done before I go in as I wont be going in for a fill for about a month.
I have acrylic nails also, it was fine for my surgery. I have white tips and my toes are french. You don't want to have surgery with ugly nails and toenails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2009, 04:40 PM

This sounds silly but I'm going to have my eyes lashed tinted/dyed before my surgery. I look like a mole peeking out of a hole without mascara as my eyelashes are totally invisible, yet they are very full and long. You just can't see them. I figure I'll look wiped out enough from surgery without that look of having no eye lashes. Sheesh, the things we think of. DH just had surgery 2-1/2 weeks ago and I'm pretty sure his eyelashes NEVER crossed his mind! LOL

TVH and A&P repair 6/29/09
Unread 05-04-2009, 09:08 PM

Oh Word that just really made me laugh. I know exactly what you mean.

Since I am having a TAH, I don't think they would see my toes, but I am going to get the tips done like I have them now. But some kind of wild color. Bright yellow or neon Green. something fun.

OOOHHHH shave my legs!!! I wont be doing that for a few weeks so better do that the night before.
Unread 05-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Re: Nails and polish

I'd check with my dr about the nails. I was told no polish at all. Each dr is different though. I've read posts where gals have been told to have at least one fingernail that was plain, no polish or acrylic. I'd be cautious and check ahead of time

Unread 05-05-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordwizard View Post
This sounds silly but I'm going to have my eyes lashed tinted/dyed before my surgery. I look like a mole peeking out of a hole without mascara as my eyelashes are totally invisible, yet they are very full and long. You just can't see them. I figure I'll look wiped out enough from surgery without that look of having no eye lashes. Sheesh, the things we think of. DH just had surgery 2-1/2 weeks ago and I'm pretty sure his eyelashes NEVER crossed his mind! LOL

TVH and A&P repair 6/29/09
I think that is a great idea. Especially if it makes you feel better.
Unread 05-05-2009, 07:33 AM

I too have acrylic nails. I am having my done the day before but with an American manicure. It is extremely natural and you will be able to see the color of the nail bed. I would really like to have my toes done but think I will take the polish off of them just in case.
Unread 05-05-2009, 07:50 AM

Great Plan! I am doing a clear French on my toes. I have long nails and I don't have acrylic on them and don't wear color polish just clear.
Unread 05-05-2009, 07:56 AM

Hi! This is a question we see often here.

I understand completely the idea that you want to have your nails (hands and toes) look as good as possible. Many women just don't even feel "dressed" if they don't have nail polish on!

But there's a real reason why your doctors and nurses want you to come to the hospital with no nail polish and (and no makeup for that matter). They want to be able to see your nail beds because one of the signs of oxygen deprivation is that your nailbeds change color. Likewise, they want to see your "bare" face to see whether you've got color or whether your lips have changed color.

Yes, I know they have gauges and all of that to check your oxygen levels. But my theory is that I want to give my medical team the very best chance to help me, and it's just another tool to be able to actually observe my skin and nailbeds. If this means I have to go without nail polish and lipstick, then I find this a pretty small price to pay. Believe me, the hospital team will not care how you look.

I also know from personal experience that these observations can save lives. When my ds was born, everything went great with the C-section and he appeared perfect. They let my dh carry him up to the nursery from the delivery room. As they were walking down the hallway, one of the nurses noticed that his tiny nailbeds had turned blue, and he was rushed to the NICU to be put on oxygen. That nurse saved my son's life, and now I understand the no-polish rule much better.

My suggestion to you would be to make a manicure (and pedicure if that's your wish) be your first self-pampering mission after your surgery. All my best wishes are with you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register