Pain after Supracervical Lap Hyst w/ cauterization | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain after Supracervical Lap Hyst w/ cauterization Pain after Supracervical Lap Hyst w/ cauterization

Unread 05-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Pain after Supracervical Lap Hyst w/ cauterization

I had a Supracervical Lap Hysterectomy w/ cauterizing instead of stitches. My surgery was 2 weeks ago. I felt like I was doing as well as expected for the first week, but now I am in pain and still need to use pain medication.

Has anyone else gone through this? I haven't read anything in the Hyster Sisters book about cauterization, so I am not sure how different this will feel and heal compared to stitches. I am open to thoughts. Please share.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Re: Pain after Supracervical Lap Hyst w/ cauterization

I am sorry you are still having pain. I think any procedure involving surgery just takes some time to heal. Some of us heal fast and some of us slower. We need to give the body a chance to rest and heal for a few weeks or so perhaps.

I would check with the doctor to see if what you are experiencing is normal for what was done.

Hang in there

s
Unread 05-11-2009, 04:04 PM

I had the same surgery a little over 2 weeks ago, 4/23. I felt pretty sore the first week, took my pain meds for the first 4-5 days after surgery. My doctor did tell me to stay on 600 mg of Ibuprophen 3-4 times a day for the first 10 days post surgery.
Four days into week 2 I had two pretty painful days and had to take a vicodin. I was having what I can only call ovary pain, but then walked a bit too vigorusly up a small grade and felt a burning streatchy kind of pain. I was a bit paniced and called the doctor the next day, but was told if the pain was going away I was ok and to tone it down a bit.
My Doctor also explained that with the cauterization the bonds are stronger than normal sutures, so it would take a lot to pull something apart.
I hope you are feeling better soon. I think we all heal differently and we all have different pain tolerences, so it is always hard to compare. Your doctors office should be able to tell you if the pain level you are experiencing is normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2009, 07:04 PM

I had an LSH on Mar. 18th. I had the cauterization as well. I was doing great the first 2 weeks. Although I did take some pain medication especially at night. However, I had more pain in week 3 and 4 and found myself needing more pain meds. than in the first two weeks. The way everyone explained it was that you are feeling so good that you tend to over do it and end up going two steps forward and one step back. I found I needed to slow down a little and make sure I got off my feet more often. This helped. As well as I tried taking a short nap each day (when I was still off from work). You have had major surgery even thought it was an LSH. I hope you feel better soon. Best wishes for a strong recovery.
Unread 05-11-2009, 10:26 PM

Thank you for your reply! I am starting to feel like I need less pain medication and I am now making sure that I spend more time lying or sitting. Thank you again.
Unread 05-14-2009, 04:54 PM

Thank you so much ladies for your responses! I am feeling much better now that I am almost 3 weeks post op. I have found that I need to take it pretty easy. While I can pick up my daughter and do more because I had cauterization instead of stitches, it doesn't mean that I am back to normal. If I work too hard, I pay later in the day. I am now down to one pain pill late in the afternoon and I think I will soon drop even that.

Your replies really helped me get through a tough time. Thank you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register