Definition of "heavy lifting"? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Definition of "heavy lifting"? Definition of "heavy lifting"?

Unread 05-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Definition of "heavy lifting"?

I'm a newbie here - first post last night re: prolapse. I really appreciate being able to read the experience of other people.

I have a dr. appointment on the 20th but need to make a work decision ASAP. I'm pretty sure I have a prolapsed bladder (stage II probably). I am a paint contractor. I have a job coming up that includes working on a staircase. I usually use my Little Giant for stair work but it weights about 40+ lbs.

I'm wondering if folks could tell me what you've been told qualifies as "heavy lifting" - not directly post-surgery but for your normal, getting on with it, life. ?? I need to anticipate what I'm might be about to hear because to be fair to my client I need to let her know ASAP if I won't be able to do the stairway.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Re: Definition of "heavy lifting"?

That is heavy lifting!!!!! and I work out and am pretty strong but ...I would not recommend it!!!!!!!!the damage it may do might not be repairable.....do you have any other options...can someone assist you in the lifting....in fact...painting might be too much......how many weeks has it been since your surgery........because I wouldn't recommend it.........has it been at least 3 months???talk with your doctor...........best wishes..........let me know how you do???
Unread 05-09-2009, 01:04 PM

This is also a good question for me. I do a lot of bending and lifting at work. Some of it is over and over picking up and lifting. Anywhere between 10 to where it is so heavy that I have to get help in order to move parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2009, 08:40 PM

Yes, I'm thinking the Little Giant is a no-go. I could have help but when moving a ladder like that on stairs there are always moments when you're gonna have all the weight. My DH has a lighter ladder that I might be able to use.

My hysterectomy was mid-January - haven't been right since but the economy tanked my business anyway so I haven't been working. I HAVE been painting my own house over this last few weeks but that's just been using a little step ladder and I can take as many breaks as I like.

Only totally prolapsed within the last week or so - before that I think it was all just trying to decide where it was going to go.

Anyway, huge changes coming for me.

I'd still like to know what people have been told in terms of pounds just to keep MORE prolapse at bay. I'm also packing my house - selling - so I need to know how to manage the moving process. Obviously I won't be moving furniture. But what about a box of books? (I've got a boat load of them!)

I have no idea and probably never will know if my pelvic weakness was caused by years of lifing. The lifting was always only occasional. I'm a decorative painter so I'm always doing something different. I spend as much time sitting at a desk as I do on a ladder and most of my jobs haven't required serious heavy lifting. but, you just never know. I have ZERO of the other prolapse risk factors. Go figure
Unread 05-10-2009, 02:41 AM

I was told no more than 10lbs but not sure if that was for 6 months or longer - I know I carry more than 10lbs from time to time (my shopping bag alone!) and I haven't paid a lot of attention because I feel okay physically (6 months for me since op)

However at 4 months I was still quite fragile and I know 40lbs would have been too dangerous - check with your doctor but I think the advice varies so much
Unread 05-10-2009, 05:24 AM

My hysterectomy was the LSH. I was given an all-clear after two weeks. But I sure haven't tried to lift anything as heavy as my ladder yet. So I don't think lifting has caused my prolapse. The trick now is to know how much I can lift without risking making things worse. sigh... How can anyone go through life only lifting 10 pounds? One gallon of paint weighs about that much. A gallon of water weighs 8 pounds! My cat weighs 12! and she's small.
Unread 05-10-2009, 08:10 AM

I know... that's what I thought but I have held a 2 year old baby and moved furniture around without thinking. It was only afterwards I wondered if I should have done it.

I don't get 'swelly belly' much anymore but that was usually a sign that I had done too much. I dont think the restrictions would last a lifetime - I think it depends on what was done, how you recovered etc .... but, I think they would be in place for at least 6 months.
Unread 05-10-2009, 08:20 AM

I wasn't quite right from the beginning - felt like my bladder was sitting on my cervical stump for months. then the ache started and the irritation on my stump stopped. irony is that now that i have prolapsed i have no other ache or irritations suddenly. only this walnut down below and the ache at the end of the day... and squeezing in hopes of holding it all in!
Unread 05-10-2009, 09:18 AM

I hope your doctor can help advise you- are you having another op for the prolapse?
Unread 05-10-2009, 09:40 AM

no plans for surgery at this point - don't even have the official diagnosis yet. i will probably try all non-surgical attempts to forestall more surgery - both to see if anything else falls BEFORE any surgery, plus to give the medical world to come up with some improvements on all these mesh problems. who knows, maybe I can wait long enough to have nano-bots do the work. but i have a low tolerance for chronic irritation. so if hormones and a pessary don't greatly improve what i feel like now...???

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register