aygestin frustrations (again) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

aygestin frustrations (again) aygestin frustrations (again)

Unread 05-10-2009, 07:53 AM
aygestin frustrations (again)

I had my pre-op appointment last Monday. It was a little rushed because my surgeon also had someone in the next room who was getting her cancer diagnosis. While I feel for the other woman's needs, I have cried more than once over the questions I meant to ask, but didn't because I wanted to accomodate her devistating news. (yeah, I know, poor me). My doc was very kind, and did listen to everything I did ask, including my request for an anti-anxiety med until surgery.

The one thing she did do was insist I cut my progestin in half before surgery. I was taking 10mg a day, and now I'm taking 5mg. She did this before my D&C three weeks ago, and the day before the procedure, I began hemorraging. I freaked when she requested I do this, and she told me we would deal with it when/if it happened again. Well, my "period" restarted yesterday - all the pain has roared back, and I had to get up twice to change during the night. I am not hemorraging - yet - but I know it is coming. My surgery is Friday, and now I'm so sick I can't do any of the house work I planned on finishing. I still have three days at work, and I know this is going to be unbearable. The one thing good out of all of this is I absolutely know I must have a hysterectomy. If I'm going to hemorrage everytime I stop progestin, my uterus is shot.

I know there's no tips or advice you can give me about this, but I can't keep whining at my hubby. My sisters are useless, and I actually had a friend say this was a great time of year to take a little vacation. So, thank you for letting me whine here. Everyone is going through the same stuff as me, you understand and won't tell me to "buck up, it's almost over." I am so sore, and scared, and tired, and frustrated I want to run away. I won't, and I will cope, but I'm tired of being a "big girl" and sucking this up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Re: aygestin frustrations (again)

Big big

I think that you should call your dr and let her know what's happening. Hopefully she'll have suggestions that can help get you through the last few days without horrible bleeding and pain.

I wouldn't worry about housework or anything else - just take care of yourself

Unread 05-10-2009, 08:14 AM

I am sooooo sorry you are feeling this way!! I wouldn't worry about the housework it will be there when you are feeling better TRUST ME!!! Sending you a big

Wishing you all my best........
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2009, 10:43 AM

I'm so sorry that you're having these problems.
Best of luck with your surgery.
Susie
Unread 05-10-2009, 07:33 PM

thank you all for your kindness. Not hemorraging yet - still bleeding. I'm not supposed to call unless I "soak a pad within an hour" (sound familiar anyone???).

So that is what I am waiting for. As for the pain, I cannot take advil or Vicadin this close to surgery, and tylenol is useless.

I'm almost hoping things progress at this point so I can call, and re-up the dose and -hopefully- reduce the pain and bleeding. I feel like I am on the train tracks, waiting for the next train stop. MAYBE I'll just stay the way I am - not pleasant - but not anything she will treat. I respect the way she has treated me so far, but I'm just tired of being sick and tired.
Have a wonderful evening ladies - dream pleasant dreams.
Unread 05-11-2009, 09:28 AM

The soaking of a pad in an hour- I soaked pad and super tampon every half hour on my period for 24 hours each month- so yes I can relate- as for the Aygestin I was on that too- what a horrible medication- and I stopped mine one day before hysterectomy and also started bleeding- you are right- your uterus us shot- so was mine- I had a huge uterus w/fibroid- 10 weeks post op- have good and bad days- but no bleeding and no AYGESTIN!!! HOORAY!!! lol- good luck to you- you will be just fine!
Unread 05-11-2009, 10:18 AM

Glad to hear you had such a good result sheric. Today is still periods of gushing - clotting, but not a pad change every hour. My last "real" period started this way, and by day 14 I was admitted to the hospital for transfusions. Luckily I don't have 14 days until my surgery, so I'm thinking my doctor's logic is a little anemia is better than a system full of progestin. I'm still on 5mg a day, so I'm still light headed, foggy memory, anxious and swollen.

I'm glad you responded - no one else has complained about Aygestin - I started to think I was the only one with side effects. Fibroids just sound awful - I don't know how you coped. What type of surgery did you have?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register