Pain in lft side again. 4 1/2 mths post op! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain in lft side again. 4 1/2 mths post op! Pain in lft side again. 4 1/2 mths post op!

Unread 05-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Pain in lft side again. 4 1/2 mths post op!

Hi Sisters,
I haven't been on in a while. Hope everyone is doing well. I am back with bad news.....Let me rewind to 2 months ago. First of all I was feeling GREAT!!! I went to see my gyno. just for my yearly pap. I told him that I was feeling good and he said my exam went well. I expressed to him that my hotflashes were unbearable. I hadn't been able to take my hormone replacement in almost 2 years. Due to endo. He tells me I can begin to take it again. Since it's been that long all the endo. should be dead. So, I began taking it and felt even BETTER! Life had just began again for me. Well for 2 weeks I've started feeling left sided pain and lower back pain again. It getting worse now. I tried to just relax thinking maybe I'd over done it. B/C of my open hernia repair I had in mid Jan. Well it's really hurting now....I feel like I am going back again. So, do you ladies think I should call my gyno. or my general sugeon. I am at a loss. This just can't be happening again. Please send me some good vibes today....I really need some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Re: Pain in lft side again. 4 1/2 mths post op!

I don't have all the answers. In fact, I might not have any answers! But here are some thoughts for what they might be worth!

First, take a deep breath and don't panic! Easier said than done, I know!

Second, I would go see which ever doctor you feel the most comfortable with, maybe even your GP. Talk over the pain and symptoms and discuss what could be going on. Leave nothing out.

For those of us with chronic issues, such as endometriosis, it is easy to automatically assume that any "familiar" pain is that chronic condition again. Sometimes that is very true. It is possible that in your case some endo was missed and since you have started HRT the estrogen replacement has flared up the endo that did not "dry up" or "die off." If you and your doctor suspect this is true, there are a few options to try to determine (without surgery) that endo is the culprit. You could stop the HRT and see if the symptoms stop or at least decrease. You could use some type of progesterone or even try Depo Provera and see if that puts the endo back into remission so to speak.

As I mentioned, leave nothing out when you talk to your doctor. While the pain feels familiar (and it could be), it is possible that circumstances are creating familiar feelings but the issue is something completely different. Maybe you have not realized it but you are not staying hydrated (weather changes, activity changes because you are feeling better, etc.) and your left kidney is protesting. Maybe changes because you are feeling better has allowed you to use some muscles in that area in a way you have not used them for some time and they are protesting. Maybe a lot of things!

I have several chronic health issues that left me in daily pain for years. When I finally felt better, there would be days when, "Ack, that is the same old pain I always had! What do I do?!" Over time I realized that while I am so much better, I am still a human in a human body. Certain activities are going to cause me pain. If I go days without paying attention to my liquid intake, my kidneys are doing to let me know and drinking enough eases the pain and it turns out to not be endo again! If I do a lot of physical work, I am going to feel familiar pain as those areas are going to hurt again, but the pain is not going to linger if I take care of myself. I am not superwoman and I am not going to be pain free every day of my life if I continue to live and be active!

Does this make sense at all? My point is that your pain may not be from a hernia or the repair surgeries or endo or any other previous health issue. It might just be that your current life style is using your body in a new way and your body is protesting a bit, just as when you start a new exercise plan. Or there could be a new health issue that needs to addressed.

Keep track of what makes the symptoms better or worse. Try to think back over your activities as well as eating and drinking habits to see if anything has changed. Then talk to the doctor who is the best listener!

Unread 05-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Re: Pain in lft side again. 4 1/2 mths post op!

Thankyou, Yes, that makes alot of sense! I will let my dr. (gyno) know tomorrow everything. I am just really nervous b/c I started feeling this pain in my lft side/lower back. about 2 weeks ago. I tried to think positive that it would go away. And just give it time....Well unfortionately that hasn't help. But like you said it doesn't mean its endo. or a hernia came out again. I will try and relax and I will post what happens at the dr.'s appt. tomorrow afternoon. Thank's again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register