Not Scheduled Hysterectomy due to Adenocarcinoma-in-situ | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy due to Adenocarcinoma-in-situ Hysterectomy due to Adenocarcinoma-in-situ

Unread 05-13-2009, 06:09 AM
Hysterectomy due to Adenocarcinoma-in-situ

A whirlwind year for me. It's almost a year since I first had the abnormal pap smear that changed my life. What a year.

I've had two surgeries - a LLETZ procedure and a Cone Biopsy. I've consulted three doctors, my gyn, and 2 gyn/onc. My gyn just wanted a H done, my gyn/oncs said a H needed to be done after childbearing is complete.

So I've been taking a conservative treatment approach, and taking time to decide if I want a 3rd child or not.

Initially I did. And I had planned to start trying from September (after another checkup). But in that time, I have seen numerous clients at work with cancer, a lot with terminal cancer, and whilst the way the deal with it inspires me, it also really saddens me, and it kept happening more often. The last one was on Monday, when a couple came in and the wife had terminal cancer. They had purchased her grave plot, revised wills, and were planning the husbands retirement after her death.

It really struck me. So much so that I've changed my mind. I have two wonderful kids. I love them to pieces. I love my husband. I want to be around them, for a long time, forever!

I'm feeling good about this. I feel like I've had time to think about everything, and think about my options. I'm okay with my decision. I'm certainly not over the moon, and I will feel anxious about this for a while, but I know, that it is the right thing to do.

Tomorrow I'll phone my gyn/onc here and arrange another appt. I probably won't book the surgery until September/October, because I need to allow time for my husband to have time off work, and for my mum to come over and help out.

I may also be starting a new job before then, so hopefully they are understanding of the time off work that I'll need.

If I had this back in Victoria, I was told it would be a vaginal Hysterectomy, and I'm really not sure what my gyn/onc over here does (Perth).

So now I'm off to read lots of stories, I need to know about what you do beforehand, how you recover, and how I'll go with looking after the kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Re: Hysterectomy due to Adenocarcinoma-in-situ

I'm sorry to hear you had to make such a hard choice.

I have three wonderful boys and had to decicde during the pregnancy with the third that we were finished with our family---and I mourned the daughter I would never have.

I think you are making a good choice to do your best to be around for your family and to enjoy the blessings you have rather than hold out for a possible blessing and miss more by not being here. It is a hard choice.....and I offer a shoulder to cry on if needed.

Hang in there.......and read lots of threads....
Unread 05-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Re: Hysterectomy due to Adenocarcinoma-in-situ

I had an LAVH (kept ovaries) and a TVT in Sep 07 for cervical adenocarcinoma in situ. This was due to having one of the high risk strains of HPV. The path report on the cone biopsy thought it was abnormal but not adenocarcinoma. Then I had Johns Hopkins look at the slides and they belileved it was adenocarcinoma. So based on my gyn's recommendation I had the surgery. Turned out that when they biopsied the cervix there was no sign of any cancer. They had gotten it all with the cone biopsy. However, in the long run I am glad I went ahead and had the surgery because the HPV could still cause problems for me in the future. I didn't want to have a future of frequent pap smears and biopsies.

Re Picking a Surgeon: My gyn wasn't upset when I decided to go to a surgeon who was more experienced than she was in doing an LAVH. My gyn recommended a surgeon who does only pelvic surgeries on women and is both a gyn and an oncologist. He was great! My gyn told me that she does not perform these types of operations often enough to be proficient and that her patients tend to spend more time on the operating table than those of more experienced surgeons. I appreciated her candor. The referral to a more experienced surgeon showed that she cared more about me getting the best care than about protecting her own ego. She is still my doctor.

I was already finished having children so it was an easier decision for me than it is for you. I hope this all goes well for you. If you do have the surgery, it is a very good idea to have someone in to help you for at least two weeks after surgery. You aren't going to feel like making your own meals and you should not do laundry or housework for several weeks. If your mother or mother-in-law comes, one way they can help is to make some additional meals to freeze so that you can have them after they leave. Take it easy, limit use of stairs, and be prepared for possible problems with constipation caused by narcotic pain relievers. This is very common.

Best of luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register