Neuropathy - dose reduction? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Neuropathy - dose reduction? Neuropathy - dose reduction?

Unread 05-18-2009, 01:23 AM
Neuropathy - dose reduction?

I have had four doses of carbplatin/taxol and each time the neuropathy has gotten worse. I have numbness in my right hand and arm and right foot and leg. For some reason the left side is much less affected. This last time I've gotten more concerned because I can see where it could affect my walking if it got much worse.

When I had a checkup with my gyn-onc, she said sometimes the chemo dose is reduced to prevent further neuropathy. I'm going to ask my oncologist about it and I'm hoping this can be done for my fifth and six doses. Does anyone have experience with a dose reduction? I'm concerned about reducing the effectiveness of the chemo, but on the other hand, I have two little children and expect to have a lot of years of raising children and teaching ahead of me and I need good use of my limbs.

I am already taking glutamine and vitamin b supplements, as well as l-carnitine/alpha-lipoic acid. In fact, I'm taking pretty much everything I could find that is supposed to help with neuropathy. Those things may be preventing it from getting worse than it is, but it's still not good.

Elise

clear cell ovarian cancer stage 1C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Re: Neuropathy - dose reduction?

I am glad to see your post. I have been having problems on my left side only. I called the Dr's office and they sent me for a head ct, apparently to rule out stroke.

I then was told to go home and rest and tell the dr more about it at my next visit - he didn't think it was a side effect of the chemo. I go to a med onc for my chemo.

I am left handed and while the numbness doesn't hurt, it is difficult to hold a pen.
Unread 05-18-2009, 11:12 AM

Dear Elise

I start carbo/taxol on Thursday. Othen than the supplements you mentioned, two things were suggested to me. 1) put your fingertips into ice. It restricts the blood flow into that area. 2) message your feet and hands. Start at the tip of the fingers or toes and pull down towards the hand or foot. It keeps the heavy chemicals from pooling /collecting at those points and supposedly limits the nerve damage.

I was told that dose reduction was fairly common, but they didn't not how much it reduces the effectiveness of the treatment.

Hope this helps.
Lyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2009, 04:26 PM

Upahill -have you had the results of the head CT? My understanding was that it could affect the dominant side of your body more because those cells would be more active and the chemo targets active cells.
Unread 05-18-2009, 04:29 PM

Lyn - thanks for your tips about the massage - I haven't heard that. At waht time and how long did they suggest putting your fingers on ice?nnMy med onc didn't give me any ting advice at all about neuropathy - I 've just been researching online.

I hope your treatment goes well.

Elise
Unread 05-18-2009, 05:31 PM

The putting your fingers in ice was recommended by an oncology nurse. She recommended doing it for 15 minutes every hour until you go to bed the first night. She also recommended drinking an extra 24 to 36 oz of water (not coffee or soda pop) 3 days before treatment and 3 days after. The Oncologist recommended when you feel the sickest, go for a 10 - 15 minute walk. It helps your body eliminate the chemicals.
Unread 05-18-2009, 05:35 PM

Thanks for sharing that. It sounds like you really got a lot of good advice. I will try those things. I was told to drink 2-3 liters of water every day and I've been getting close to the 3. But the walk sounds like good advice - and I'll do the ice thing next time too. Was the ice only for the first day?

Elise
Unread 05-18-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarelise View Post
Upahill -have you had the results of the head CT? My understanding was that it could affect the dominant side of your body more because those cells would be more active and the chemo targets active cells.
the dr's office called and said the results of the ct were fine and that it was nothing to worry about. She wanted me to keep track of how it was progressing and tell the dr about it at my next visit. that will be on Thurs.

It may be that people forget that some of us are left-handed.

what you say makes a lot of sense to me.
Unread 05-21-2009, 05:45 AM

Hi there

I had neuropathy from two rounds of carbo/taxol (I also had bad bone pain from the taxol) so my oncologist gave me only carboplatin for the remaining four chemo rounds - he said that it was just as effective as the carbo/taxol combination and as a result my neropathy disappeared.

Good luck with your treatment.

Cathy Jane
Unread 05-21-2009, 03:21 PM

Thanks for sharing that Cathy Jane. I wonder if they would do that for me. I've already had 4 rounds of the combo. Did your doctor say there are studies that show the carboplatin is just as effective on it's own?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register