HRT and Thyroid issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HRT and Thyroid issues HRT and Thyroid issues

Unread 05-18-2009, 01:05 PM
HRT and Thyroid issues

Hi all I'm set for surgery on the 29th of May. Geez that is getting so close....getting a bit worried. I am wondering about HRT and my Synthroid. I had my thyroid removed in February and now will be having a TLH/BOS and I am so scared of what will happen with my normal even temperment. I am wondering if I will have to be on HRT (I am 34) I see lots of different posts some women taking them some not. How do I know what is best for me??? My mother had a TLH when she was 45 and chose not to take HRT but gets some type of shot for her bones. I dont want to lose my sexual desire! Another issue I have is my family has a very high risk for bone problems. (Afraid to spell ostio... wrong sorry) What do I do can anyone shed light on this situation for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Re: HRT and Thyroid issues

Hi

I remember having all of those same fears. Let me share what I have experienced and some of what I have learned.

First, will you need HRT? Our ovaries, if healthy, continue to produce estrogen for us for the rest of our lives. This estrogen helps with bone and heart health, as well as brain function. Without estrogen, our endocrine system will try to find a way to keep our hormones in balance by increasing/decreasing our other hormones. All of our hormones work in harmony to try to maintain this balance. When estrogen is taken out of the picture, it can cause discomfort for most women. It is true though, that we do see that some women manage to do ok without any supplement.

For me, without estrogen, my blood lipids get really high, my short-term memory is non-existent, and my joints ache badly. I do use a bio-identical estrogen that is delivered through the skin called the Vivelle Dot. I change this twice a week.

You will want to have your Synthroid monitored for a possible need to change the dose. Thyroid is one of those hormones that is affected by our estrogen levels. My endocrinologist believes that it is important to make sure the thyroid level is correct before changing the estrogen dose. Sometimes when the estrogen dose is changed, then we have to go back and tweak the Synthroid again. It is a little more complicated, and can take a little longer for us to find hormonal balance than it is for the woman who is not taking thyroid supplements, but the extra attention is well worth it and is very doable.

At 34 years old, I would think that you would definitely notice a difference without estrogen. Have you discussed this with your doctor? I'm 54 years old, and take enough estrogen to keep me at a "normal" post menopause level. You may need more than that, since you were likely no where near peri-menopause. I think you will also want to discuss this with your Endocrinologist.

All of this is, of course, assuming that you have no risks which would make it dangerous for you to use HRT, such as endometriosis or cancer.

It might help to think of HRT as "hormone replacement" which is the replacement of a hormone which your body would be making itself, if it had all the tools to do so. I see it similar to taking a thyroid supplement to replace the thyroid hormone that our bodies normally make when we have a healthy thyroid.

Here is a link to our Hormone Resources, which may help you with questions for your Doctors.

Kay
Unread 05-20-2009, 06:09 AM

HI I am also 34 and just had my TAH/BSO on May 6th.I also take synthroid for low thyroid function.I am taking Estradol right now till my 6 week checkup and then switching to Femring.Both of my Doc's(Gyn and Primary) agreed that I need HRT along with my synthroid.My GYN said that you would not be going into menopause at 34 if things were normal why would you want to go into menopause now just because of surgery.Talk to your Dr. so far I am handling both meds well,I take one in morning and one at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2009, 09:05 AM

What is the Femring? Have you noticed any change in your sexual response? Have you noticed anything with weight gain or loss? Have you heard anything about bio identical hormones? Have you experienced any side effects? Sorry for so many questions I am just really getting scared to death about this surgery!!!
Unread 05-20-2009, 09:37 AM

A Femring is a soft rubberband kinda looking thing that is put up into your vagina and left for 3 months at a time and then you replace.My Doc expained that way I will have a constant supply of hormones instead of ups and downs.I don't know about sexual response its only been 2 weeks since surgery.With the pills I feel good no hot flashes or anything.I have been losing weight due to the amount of fluid I kept retaining and the fact my uterus was so large.
As for the fear I am doing great,except for the inactivity of rest.Being young you will probably bounce back quicker than someone of more advanced age.I had to get a TAH so I have a 9" cut to deal with but I would do it all over again.
Google the Femring and other types of HRT and talk to your Dr..I had a whole list of questions for Doc at hospital after surgery.He joked that between my questions at pre-op appt. and after surgery I was making him work for his money.
I hope everything works out for you and I will keep you in my prayers.
Unread 05-20-2009, 10:39 AM

Thank you so much! I appreciate all your help do you mind me asking why you had your Hyst.? Mine is because of Adenomyosis PCOS and a failed NovaSure proceedure. I am so worried about this whole operation.
Unread 05-20-2009, 11:21 AM

Mine was because of so many things:scar tissue,adhesions,hemorages,mass, and enlarged uterus and tubes and too many periods and severe pelvic pain.The Doc said my tubes were 6 times normal size and looked like they had used motor oil in them and my uterus was so large he could not get it out in one piece like he hoped.Believe me the pain I have with my surgery is nothing to the pain I was in the last 1-2 years.First few days are the the worst but I have none of the pains I had before surgery and still don't.(lower back,bloating,severe pelvic pain,screwed up periods.mood,etc.)
Unread 05-20-2009, 02:38 PM

Did your Dr explain that this surgery will not cure the PCOS?

PCOS is a disorder of the endocrine system. Have you spoken with your endocrinologist about HRT after having your ovaries removed? It does make finding a balance a little more difficult, and requires a doctor who is very knowledgeable in the recent research and studies concerning PCOS.

s,
kay
Unread 05-20-2009, 02:43 PM

Yes she has told me that it does not cure PCOS but she did say that many times the symptoms to subside a bit. Is that true for you? What dose of Synthroid are you taking and did it change after your Hyst. What type of HRT are you taking and how often? This is for my own peace of mind. Are you still taking Metformin for the PCOS or did you ever take it?
Unread 05-20-2009, 09:33 PM

I am taking 100 mg a day of spironolactone to keep the testosterone levels down, 2000 mg of metformin a day to control the insulin, and estrogen from the Vivelle Dot. My thyroid never tested low before my surgery, and now varies as I am in the early stages of Hashimoto's thyroid disease.

Having my ovaries removed was the best thing I ever did. With HRT and the other meds, I am able to maintain a balance that I never had before. I honestly wish I had been brave enough to do it many years ago.

However, I have to caution, that there are no guarantees with this surgery. There are many women who wish they had never had it. I think that the women who have healthy ovaries removed tend to be the ones who are the unhappiest with the results. For me though, honestly, even the first two years post op when my hormones were fluctuating the most and I had the most symptoms, I felt better than I ever did with my ovaries and the hormonal chaos that they were putting me through.

Only another PCOS sufferer would understand.

I wish you the best.

Kay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register