chest pressure/shortness of breath, Could it be a blood clot? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

chest pressure/shortness of breath, Could it be a blood clot? chest pressure/shortness of breath, Could it be a blood clot?

Unread 05-19-2009, 07:34 PM
chest pressure/shortness of breath, Could it be a blood clot?

For the past 5 days I have been feeling a heavy feeling in my chest which has been a very awkward feeling. Along with it has been a little shortness of breath as well.

I'm scared bc I have been on vivelle dot for 1 year without ever being told I was suppose to be taking an aspirin every day to prevent blood clots. I also started a combination of HRT injections and patches together. I had one injection and by 2 weeks later was using a .1 patch with just a tad bit trimmed off (still a little more than just a .075). Anyway, I had estrogen in my system for sure and even after starting the injections was never told to take an aspirin.

I have pressure in my chest like it's heavy. Not really pain, just heavy. I'm not struggling to breathe but I do not have the same amount of air as normal. It seems as if I need to take a lot of deep breathes to feel better. Could this be a blood clot that has formed? Is there a typical place for it most likely to form when it is a clot caused by HRT?

I'm not going to do injections anymore. I am doing the dot only .075 along with a test cream and I plan on weaning myself down as much as I can bc I am SO SICK of the struggle I have had trying to get it right.

I am going to start lexapro (which I have been fighting against but now I am caving into it) to see if it will help get me over the hump mood wise in order to 1) be happy and 2) wean myself off HRT slowly.

Back to the blood clot scare....anyone else experience this or maybe have another suggestion as to what it could be?

My gyn said it didn't think it was from the hormones but I didn't ask him at the time if it could be a clot. I didn't think about it until after. Stupid me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Re: chest pressure/shortness of breath, Could it be a blood clot?

If there is any doubt at all that it could be a clot go to the ER right now. It's possible that it may not be, but I wouldn't want to take the chance. Bloods clots that travel to the lung can be fatal. Please, either get your doctor on the phone now through his answering service, or go to the Emergency Room. Don't wait until moning.

Please let us knwo what the doctor says.
Unread 05-20-2009, 12:41 PM

Hi, Livinlifetoo! I'm new here, but wanted to reply to your post. Let me first say that I'm a paramedic and have had depression/anxiety for 10 years and had a uterus-only hysterectomy two years ago, then had my ovaries removed this past February. :-)

First, most clots, and I do say "most" here, that occur suddenly are after surgery or long flights/road trips, etc. However, I absolutely echo what Catherine said, do not hesitate to go to the ER if you have any doubts whatsoever!

Secondly, solely based on what you're describing, it sounds like anxiety, which can feel heavy and feel like pressure and feel like you just cannot catch your breath or get a full breath of air. If you've started the Lexapro, this may be a side effect of that, even though it's an SSRI. I know; that's how it makes me feel. I just cannot catch my breath on Lexapro, or Cymbalta, or Zoloft. Effexor gives me a major migraine that I cannot shake. Luvox has been the only SSRI that I can use that treats my depression and anxiety, but it's an old SSRI, so docs don't like to prescribe it anymore. That's how I know how the other SSRIs make me feel. It's been a fun trip, not! ;-)

So, hang in there, please keep us posted, and please do not stop advocating for yourself. Find a doc that will continue to try different options until he/she finds what works for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2009, 05:50 AM

Thanks ladies. I did not got to the ER that night but did call the Dr after hours and went to see him next morning. My GP is so much easier to talk to.

He told me to skip the aspirin I started taking and see if it goes away. Some people can not tolerate aspirin very well. This all started right around the time I started the aspirins. So far this morning I am up with no chest tightness. I was awake for a good portion of the night with my heart pounding hard though. I hate that bc it freaks me out.

I can't believe the amount of anxiety I have been dealing with compared to who I used to be. This is so insane! I just want to be me again so bad. Ugh!

Thanks for your support.
Unread 05-21-2009, 06:34 AM

livinglifetoo - I hope you continue to feel better. It is so hard finding what works. I was so unprepared for how I would feel after surgery. I too had the chest pains and terrible heart burn - ended up having a stress test which I passed thank goodness! I see my GP now for even my ERT, she's been so much more helpful and understanding. Things are much, much better for me now and I hope they get better soon for you!

Take Care,
Teresa
Unread 05-21-2009, 04:26 PM

I've been on hrt for 10 years and have never been told to take an aspirin a day. I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 05-21-2009, 09:05 PM

Yeah, I've not been advised to take a daily ASA, either, nor has anyone else that I know. Sorry. :-(

The heart-pounding is definitely anxiety, though, so hang in there. It's possible there's something in the coating if one of the pills you take that is aggravating the anxiety. Sorry that you're having all of these new problems. That's just what we need when going through menopause, eh? Not!

Clearly, we women are the stronger sex, no? If there's anything I can do to help you or answer any medical questions or answer any questions about my depression/anxiety, please do not hesitate to ask.

Beth
Unread 05-23-2009, 09:47 PM

I was advised to take an asprin...low dose. everyday...
Lemon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register