cervical dysplasia found - help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cervical dysplasia found - help cervical dysplasia found - help

Unread 05-27-2009, 08:34 PM
cervical dysplasia found - help

Hi,

I am recovering from having BSO, Endo, and my cervix removed 4 weeks ago, and just learned that my pathology report came back showing cervical dysplasia. The doctor said not to worry, and get a pap smear in 3 months. I've never had an abnormal pap and now I am afraid. I had my uterus and endo removed in Aug 2008, and had anormal pap 2 months after that. Has anyone been down this road? Should I be waiting, should I be asking more questions. I am just shocked.
Any info would be really helpful.

Thanks!
pei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Re: cervical dysplasia found - help

Hi Pei,
I can understand your shock and that "C" word even when it may be precancer is very scary. If your doctor is not a gyn/onc who are cancer experts , I'd suggest getting a second opinion from one. I believe "watching" and pap smears are the general procedure with this dx so itappears your current doctor is on the mark.
I know others dealing with cervical displasia will come along with more information. May your recovery from the recent surgery go well. Pls keep us updated.
s
Unread 06-08-2009, 11:09 AM

Pei-
I just received the same news today - My LAVH was May 26 and I just received the pathology today, it was sent to the Mayo Clinic for a second opinion. They found endo on my cervix (which my Dr. has never seen before on any of her patients) and mild dysplasia.
I have so many questions and worries, but won't see the Dr. until July 6. I'm sure I could get in sooner if I wanted to, but I'm not even sure what to do at this point. Everything I've read in the last few hours say that this is not cancer, but even the words "pre-cancer" make me cry. Hang in there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2009, 06:39 PM

(((Pei)))

I just want to clarify your situation. So you had subtotal hysterectomy in August 2008 (uterus removed, left cervix). Then you had an abnormal PAP 2 months after that. Then recently you had your cervix and ovaries removed? Did you have your cervix removed due to ongoing problems with endo, or because of the abnormal PAP?

Cervical dysplasia is a pre-cancerous condition. It can be qualified as mild, moderate or severe. Do you happen to know what yours is? Did the pathology report show clean margins (meaning, did they get it all)? If so, then it would be standard practice to repeat a PAP in 3-4 months to determine if there are any additional abnormalities. If, though, for some reason the pathology did not have clean margins, I would suggest asking for a referral to see a gynecologic oncologist. They are the experts when it comes to female precancers and cancers and they are extensively trained in the most current surgical and medical techniques.

Good luck! Please let us know how you are doing!

Unread 06-08-2009, 07:06 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for responding. I have some good news to share. I spoke with my surgeon and he answered all of my questions. Once the word pre-cancer really hit my brain, panic hit hard. And, this was the scoop. They successfully removed all my newly grown endo, the two troublesome ovaries and the endo covered cervix, which had the abnormal precancer cells. He said it was found in only one location, it was a stage 1 and due to the cervix being completely removed my risk of any further abnormal cells is low. I need to go for vaginal smears every 3 months until my smears are negative for abnormal cells. If the abnormal cells continue to appear we will address that problem at that time. I am lucky that the surgeon who performed my surgery this time is the head gyn/oncology surgeon at my hospital. No other surgeon was willing to operate on me, my history was considered too complex. I am scheduled to return for a follow up in July and I will feel better when the result comes back NEGATIVE. Even though I felt sick as could be before the surgery, and I was losing weight rapidly, I am now very grateful my endo was acting up enough for me to be willing to go back and have more surgery. Maybe I will be lucky and they caught a problem that could have been much worse than the endo(as frightening as that is to believe, i thought the endo would kill me. ) I let you want happens. Please let me know what happens with you, Emyrue, since your story is so like mine.

PEI

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register