Walking post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Walking post op Walking post op

Unread 06-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Walking post op

This is my first post ... I have commented on a few but this is my first time to start one.... I had my TVH on May 19th and I am doing good. I have my 2 week dr appt today.

I was visiting with family yesterday and my sister in law was shocked that I am not walking a mile a day already. I told her that my understanding was that I wasn't supposed to do that so soon. She continued to tell me that if I didn't start walking a lot and soon that I would just get weaker and weaker... Have I misunderstood my doctor?

Just thought I would ask you guys and see what you thought of her comments...

I am so thankful that I have found this website... It has been such a help to me and I hope to continue to come back and help others too with my experience..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Re: Walking post op

Welcome!
Thank goodness we have our doctors to ask these questions of rather than our in-laws, no?
My sister kept asking me if I was doing a lot of walking. I guess some people just think that we can excercise our way to recovery.
Just listen to your body, and you'll know how much you can do.
Take care!
Unread 06-01-2009, 09:33 AM

Hi sunshine, and welcome.

My post op directions on walking and exercise were "as tolerated," and my GYN encouraged me to begin walking as soon as the morphine pump was removed. It does promote healing and recovery.

Walking was the one thing I COULD do without problems, so I did a little each day throughout my recovery period. It actually made me feel better (endorphins, maybe???) and I really liked being able to get out of the house for a little while each day.

But, only you know how you feel. Don't let your DSis-in-Law make that decision for you. Since you are seeing your doctor today, ask for his/her thoughts.

Best wishes on your recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2009, 09:42 AM

i've always been encouraged to walk after any surgery. i would ask your dr when you go today. i personally was walking a lot at almost 2 weeks post op.
Unread 06-01-2009, 09:43 AM

Sounds like SIL is passive aggressive. I'm not walking a mile and I am at 17 days post. I walk fine, but still have deep, low pain if I do walk too much. Is this SIL someone who "always has all the answers?" Ugh. So many women feel that they have to knock down what you are doing so that they can show you how smart they are. You will get stronger as you progress in your exercise - not weaker because you started at a slower pace! What she said is actually quite foolish. Talk to your doctor, and listen to that little voice in your heart that tells you that you are doing what is right for you.

Many blessings.
Unread 06-01-2009, 09:47 AM

Wow! A mile?!!

I couldn't even pull that one off BEFORE the surgery! Well, ok, I probably could walk a mile, but really, really wouldn't have liked it. At all. I'm a couch potato at heart. Hate exercise.

I'm in my 5th week post-op and I'm not withering away. I just walk around the house or walk "laps" around the perimeter of our back yard, until I get tired. Then I go lay down for a bit.

Don't let someone else push you into hurting yourself, but don't let fear prevent you from doing what's comfortable for you.

And when in doubt, ask the doctor!
Unread 06-01-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine0719 View Post
I was visiting with family yesterday and my sister in law was shocked that I am not walking a mile a day already.
Dear sunshine

Well, I think SIL is just plain silly.

I normally walk 2 miles a day, during lunchtime @ work. I had a super-easy da Vinci RAVH on May 26 yet I have no plans to walk that much again for a few weeks. I'm healing wonderfully with little real pain, but I can feel the tightness, the stitches, and I know I need to take frequent rest breaks. If I were to walk 2 miles a day it might be in 3 or 4 increments. I really want to take the time to embrace my body, let it heal naturally, and only ONCE. Please listen to your body and not the SIL!

Unread 06-01-2009, 10:07 AM

Thanks, and yes she is one to think she knows it all. I don't have a problem with walking but I do get tired really fast and easy.
And yeah, I didn't walk before surgery either... but I thought I would find out if I was supposed to be so I could get started.. lol.
Unread 06-01-2009, 03:15 PM

You walk as much as you can and want, end of discussion.

I measured my walks more in time than in distance. Also, hilly walks are much harder than flat ones.
Unread 06-01-2009, 05:44 PM

I also wonder how much I'm "supposed" to walk at this point.
I keep getting a burning/pulling pain if I am on my feet a while, so currently I walk ten minutes at a time several times a day. I plan to increase that as it feels easier.

Luckily, I have a treadmill in the basement so I can do this in any weather and watch TV while at it. Perfect for this couch potato. The stairs don't bother me at all.

Listen to your body and to the professionals. I've also learned to just smile and nod when I get advice from those who haven't been there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register