questions, questions, questions, advise needed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

questions, questions, questions, advise needed questions, questions, questions, advise needed

Unread 06-01-2009, 06:11 PM
questions, questions, questions, advise needed

I have posted this question on the pre-op forum but am also posting it here, as you probably don't have much call to visit that forum much.

My Doctor has recommended a hysterectomy which has come as no surprised after the Doctor failed to open my cervix for a D&C last week.

She has suggested a vaginal hysterectomy but I have my concerns:

the reason for the d&C was persistent increase in uterine lining. In previous sonos I was perimenopause but now I am menopause

I had ablation in 2004 and adhesions removed which tied my uterus to the colon. After 5 yrs there are probably more adhesions

I have a cyst in the myometrium which is undefined, has shrunk in the past but is now bigger. ( it is probably degenerating adenomyosis as I am now in menopause)

Given my history I am not sure that a vaginal hysterectomy is the correct course and if ,as she has said, she is now concerned it might be cancerous (why after 5 yrs, of thicken lining, I not sure), shouldn't a gyn/onc be overseeing this operation. If so, how do go about getting a gyn/onc to attend, if they are not actually operating on you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Re: questions, questions, questions, advise needed

I would tell your current gyn that you would like to get a second opinion and could she recommend a gyn/onc. If cancer is a possibility you want a gyn/onc to do the surgery or at least be available, they are the experts and can properly stage and grade the cancer if any is found, do an abdominal wash and test lymph nodes.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
Jean
Unread 06-01-2009, 07:34 PM

Since your gyn has indicated concern re possible cancer/pre-cancer, I also strongly recommend you consult with a gyn/onc - the cancer experts and if you need a hysterectomy have one at the least be present for the surgery to take over if cancer is found. Pls keep us posted.
s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2009, 10:04 PM

My long time gyn referred me to a gyn oncologist, when he found my cancer during a hysteroscopy to remove a polyp. It's always good to get a second opinion.
Unread 06-02-2009, 03:57 AM

Like the other ladies said, you really should get a 2nd opinion and get a gyno/onco involved. If your dr. believes cancer is involved definately have a gyno/onco do the surgery.
Unread 06-02-2009, 11:51 AM

My story is the same as sodapoppers. I had a polyp -- my gp and gyn weren't concerned at all, but after outpatient hysteroscopy, early stage cancer cells were found. So I had a TAH and thankfully, that's all the treatment I've needed thus far. I'd been having heavier than normal bleeding, which we all thought was perimenopause.

No need for you to be scared or overly concerned -- most times it's nothing. But I agree with the advice others have given. I'd recommend a second opinion, and consulting with a gyn/onc if cancer is at all suspected. That way you'll know for sure. The peace of mind is worth it.
Unread 06-02-2009, 02:56 PM

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

I have contacted a local gyn/onc office after I contacted my gyn and said I wanted a referral. She said to me that there might be quite a wait as they are very busy and maybe she could consult with the gyn/onc as that might be quicker. As I have lost all faith in her, I declined the offer. The doctor's scheduler/nurse contacted me within a couple of hours after I left a message and after I related my story said she would be getting my records immediately. So hopefully I will have an appointment soon.
Unread 06-03-2009, 12:27 AM

I'm glad you didn't take your gyn up on her offer that she consult with the gyn/onc in lieu of your meeting with the gyn/onc in person. You can ask your questions, get information firsthand, and get an impression of a person whom you might consider doing your surgery. Shame on the gyn for trying to be an intermediary when one is not necessary.
Unread 06-05-2009, 04:35 PM

Why does it take so long just to schedule an appointment! Got a call from the central office to say yesterday that I might be quicker calling their south office. The scheduler said she would contact the south office for me and if I didn't hear from them by today to recontact them. Left a message with the south office 9am this morning. After no reply after 11 am, recontacted the the central office to say I still had no joy with the south office. At mid-day had to meet my son to take him to a doctor's appt, nasty unexplained skin rash. Whilst driving to the doctor's I got my son to call my daughter at home- no phone calls or messages. Called the south office again and gave my cell phone number (which they had already). Got home just after 3pm to find a message on phone to call back. My daughter had missed it because she was in the shower. So call back immediately, saying I would definitely be at this number (my home number). she was probably upset I had called so frequently by then as I have heard nothing since.

I cannot believe how much I have been waiting on the phone this week- not just for me. My poor husband was attacked by a cat (unprovoked) so there were calls back and forth about what vaccinations he needed - of course he is at work so I was the intermediary .

Just not my week, lol. Sorry to vent about such a trivial thing when you are going through so much but I really want to just get this over and done with. After so many years of one test after another, I have gotten impatient.
Unread 06-05-2009, 04:52 PM

Sorry to hear you are having such difficulty with getting an appointment. It's very frustrating.

I've had the same problem with getting doctor appointments in the past, especially with new doctors. If I don't get any response within a couple days, I try to find another.

I realize that doctors are very busy and it may take a while to see them, but IMHO, their staff can't be that busy to make a call back just to schedule the appointment.

Hope you get it worked out soon.
Hugs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register