Scheduled LAVH How long were you off your feet? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long were you off your feet? How long were you off your feet?

Unread 06-04-2009, 10:00 PM
How long were you off your feet?

I'm having a LAVH in a few weeks, and had my pre-op appointment along with my final Lupron shot just this morning.

My doctor had originally told me that with an LAVH the recovery time is much quicker, but today she told me that i'll need to ask off from work for 4-6 weeks. That shocked me, I'd already asked off for two weeks, not thinking that it would even require that long. I was only out for a week after a gall bladder removal surgery a few years ago.

So I'd like to hear from everyone else as to about how long they think I'll need off. I understand that everyone is different and work is great about letting me do some work from home on my laptop, but I'm afraid that I'm going to go stir crazy if i have to sit at home for 6 weeks.

Btw, I appreciate EVERYONE on this site and all the great information that they are sharing. I"m starting to get more anxious the closer to the date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Re: How long were you off your feet?

I had a TVH and I was up walking in 2 hours out of recovery.I could have easly been back to work in under a week. as long as there is no lifting..
I am finding it verrrrrry hard not to do anything like washing the floor and cleaning the toilet and tub doing the normal daily things like cleaning MY house lol but my DH gets mad and makes me go for walks .
He lets me do small things but I find it hard not to do the big things.
I am in no pain at all and im not even 2 weeks out.
Could you book 4 weeks and go back early if you feel like it? Do you have to lift anything??if you do then I say take 6 weeks off My dr. told me yesterday that even when I am 6 weeks out still dont go crazy doing all kinds of stuff cause you wont be fully healed for 3 months.and I have to listen to her she is my neighbour lol
Unread 06-05-2009, 12:33 AM

I had a LAVH four weeks ago today. My hope was to go back half days after two weeks but afterwards by dr said four weeks at least. I am glad too. I felt great the first week but was mostly laying in bed and having my food brought to me and not doing much but walking to the bathroom and around the room. The second week was a bit better but did too much (even though it didn't feel like it) and had some bright red blood. Dr. said for the next five days I was to to nothing except for laying around and reading, etc. I will be off one more week for a total of five weeks. My DH thought I was still way too tired to go back to work. I had my my ovaries removed too and haven't been sleeping well at all. Oh, by the way, I have a desk job. Sitting up straight for a long period of time is really the hardest thing for me to do still. It just starts to feel achy around my pubic bone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2009, 08:13 AM

Thank you! I too have a desk job and thought that it would be easier to go back early. I guess I'm going to have to buy more books and get a laptop table for the bed/couch. I appreciate the honesty. I just don't know what to expect.
Unread 06-05-2009, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the reminder to take it easy even when I feel like I am back to normal. I am feeling really tired today. It is nice to be reminded to take it easy. Even with the LAVH, it was major surgery and the body needs time to heal. Kris
Unread 06-05-2009, 07:29 PM

I had LAVH May 8th and I went back to work (desk job) on May 26th.
I was pretty tired the first few days but it worked. I have very nice co-workers who gave me binders out of the shelves because of the NOT LIFTING !!!!!

My doctor told me that some women go back to work after 2 weeks, some need 4 weeks. Every person is different and every recovery, too.

I wish you all the best and take care! Your body will tell you if you can work or not. Listen to that. Nobody will say "Thank you" if you come back too soon and you have to suffer from a bad recovery.

If I wouldn't have felt strong enough I wouldn't have done it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register