Torn Vaginal Cuff - 3 mos postop | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Torn Vaginal Cuff - 3 mos postop Torn Vaginal Cuff - 3 mos postop

Unread 06-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Torn Vaginal Cuff - 3 mos postop

HELP! My new BF and I had sex for the first time since surgery, 3/2/09. I immediately felt excruciating pain, and we stopped. A few hours later we tried again, but the pain was much more intense and now I'm bleeding! I must tell you this pain is the worst pain I have EVER felt! It was so unbelievable that I needed help getting dressed and to the hospital, the Dr.s told me that I have a high tolerance to pain...Guess I learned one thing!

I went to ER, had a cat scan and no one can tell me what exactly has happened! I spent the night, they wanted me to go in for emergency surgery, but if they didn't know what the problem was I said no way! The on-call OB GYN told me that in 9 years he has never seen anything like this and thought that i either had an abscess or cyst rupture upon penetration.

I saw my regular OB GYM Wednesday and she was no help either. No diagnosis, no sex for three more weeks and go back to see her...in three weeks! I thought I was on my way to feeling better and now this! I may have a torn vag-cuff is what she said, she doubts its a ruptured abscess, possibly a ruptured cyst. What do I do? I cant wait three weeks to ask her my questions. Any suggestions? Besides take it easy and wait it out?

Any help or suggestions would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Re: Torn Vaginal Cuff - 3 mos postop

(((Michelle))) I'm sorry you have had this scare. What questions exactly do you have that you don't feel your DR has answered? If there's something you wanted to ask and didn't, I'd strongly encourage you to call the office and ask. There should be no problem with them having the DR call you to answer your question.

Meanwhile, "take it easy and wait it out" sounds about right. ABSOLUTELY no sex, nothing in the vagina. It could be you had an area tear at the cuff, or it might be that you had a hematoma on your cuff that ruptured, or, as you were told, a ruptured abscess or ruptured cyst. Or, even more rarely, you could have had a vaginal adhesion that tore during penetration (sounds much worse than it is). But if you refused to let the OB GYN in the ER do the emergency surgery, how would you find out for sure?

If you do call the DR, you might also ask if some vaginal estrogen might help your cuff heal better... just an idea.

-Linda
Unread 06-06-2009, 04:17 PM

I guess I would like to know if sex will ever be the same since this. I have been told that going without it for so long changes you. My Dr. reviewed the CAT scan and diagnosed the incident as an abscess bursting. What does that mean? Will it affect me long term? will there be scar tissue making sex feel different? Should I be doing any exercises? is there anything I can do to help my recovery? I smoke about 3-4 cigarettes a day, is this affecting my recovery? (I know I should quit).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2009, 05:08 PM

Watch for signs of infection closely!! Increase in temp, pain, swelling, discharge, etc.

Also, whoever told you going a while without sex for so long changes you is full of it!! I have NEVER heard such a thing and went 2 years once without sex and it didn't change me or kill me.
Unread 06-06-2009, 05:39 PM

((notfeelingthis))

It sounds like you need to sit down and discuss all your questions and concerns with your doctor. Write down all of your questions and take them with you to your appointment. This way you won't forget any of them and you can write down the answers. At your appointment, your doctor can also explain in more detail what the CAT scan shows and how best to aid your healing. He may even have some suggestions to help you stop smoking, especially if it is slowing your healing.

Take care!
Unread 06-08-2009, 10:56 PM

I agree that you should contact your Dr and ask more questions. A ruptured pelvic or abdominal abscess is considered a medical emergency. Google it and check it out. That is what happened to me. It is a life threatening complication. The fact that your Dr told you that really confuses me too!

I would not wait, but get back in so you can understand what happened and know that you are safe and well cared for. Peace of mind is priceless.

Good Luck to you,

Starbgirl
Unread 06-09-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfeelingthis View Post
I guess I would like to know if sex will ever be the same since this. I have been told that going without it for so long changes you. My Dr. reviewed the CAT scan and diagnosed the incident as an abscess bursting. What does that mean? Will it affect me long term? will there be scar tissue making sex feel different? Should I be doing any exercises? is there anything I can do to help my recovery? I smoke about 3-4 cigarettes a day, is this affecting my recovery? (I know I should quit).

Thanks!
Michelle -

No you shouldn't be doing any exercises. Not at this stage maybe later. Will it affect you long-term? Who knows unfortunately you'll have to be patient and see how things progress. Will there be scar tissue? No way to tell because you aren't sure what happened yet and there are options for scar tissue. Can going without make things feel different? Did you have your ovaries removed? If you did you might experience dryness and things might be tighter first few times. Is there something you can do to help your recovery? Be patient, take it easy and stopping smoking helps all your health.
Unread 06-09-2009, 08:38 PM

Hi Tauruslady, once again I agree with your statement..my surgery was vaginal..........and the first couple tries were very painful.....I thought for sure it was over....but like Taurus lady said ..wait a few more weeks..WHATEVER you do not stop trying........each try shoud improve....honesty I can't remember...but I think by the 6 or 7th try it was pain free........each body heals so differently..I just wish someone had told me...because it was stressful........because I did not understand.......it would take time and several tries.......

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register