Would like Lupron Information (Facing Hysterectomy) ... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Would like Lupron Information (Facing Hysterectomy) ... Would like Lupron Information (Facing Hysterectomy) ...

Unread 06-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Would like Lupron Information (Facing Hysterectomy) ...

Hi, thank you for your help. My OB/GYN would like to start me on LUPRON (for 3-6 months, with plans to perform a Hysterectomy, if the LUPRON works well). I am in constant pain (severe lower back, constant dull menstrual cramp type pain, off/on sharp ovarian pains). My uterus is twice it's normal size. I have many fibroids. I have Adenomyosis. I had to have an Emergency Endometrial Ablation in March, because a "normal menstrual period" sent me to the Emergency Room bleeding so heavily, that the ER Dr. removed 35 golf ball size clots with a Q-Tip, and then hollered "get her OB/GYN in here now!" The ablation was ineffective. They could only do 1/2 of my uterus, because it was too large ... so I am STILL bleeding heavily each month. I am 43. I've had heavy periods my entire life. My Dr. wants to see if the shrinking of my uterus (with the LUPRON) will stop the back pain & the cramping that I'm having. My biggest fears with a Hysterectomy are: weight gain, PMS type moodiness, reduced sex drive/desire/feeling (the ablation has already affected my orgasms ... or I just haven't healed yet ... more pain than pleasure). Anyway, I would appreciate any/all help. THANK YOU!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Re: Would like Lupron Information (Facing Hysterectomy) ...

I had Lupron in prep for fibroid removal because of my heavy bleeding, and it worked great. I recommend it if only because typically, when it's in question, the quality of life currently is pretty honkerblonk poor, so chances are good for improvement.

I had some weight gain, hot flashes, night sweats, and acne with the treatment, but it stopped me from bleeding to death, which was basically a certainty without it. My quality of life improved dramatically for those three months, and I'm extremely pleased with the shot. Hot flashes are nothing compared to the stress and drama of fierce bleeding spells on a regular basis. Whenever I had a hot flash, I remembered the desperation that I felt when I was trapped on the toilet, crying, waiting for it all to end, and Lupron seemed like cake in comparison. I'm hoping now that the fibroids are out I can get on with living once I can actually move or use my stomach muscles. Hehe.

Mine was in prep for fibroid removal with possible/likely hysterectomy, though, not a planned hysterectomy, so others here could probably provide more information. I hope you start to feel better soon.
Unread 06-05-2009, 07:22 PM

Hi Tammy323,

I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for a less invasive hyst (LSH). For me, lupron was a success. It did cause temporary chemical menopause. I had hot flashes and night sweats and I just made it a lifestyle for awhile. Lupron also stopped my periods, it helped relieve my pelvic pressure since my fibroids were shrinking and it brought up my blood count.

Best wishes

~Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2009, 08:28 AM

Thank you both for your replies. I certainly appreciate your time, your thoughts, and your good wishes. Best Wishes to both of you!
Unread 06-06-2009, 09:41 AM

I went through Lupron treeatment two different times, and was a success both times. In my case it was to reduce the ovarian cycts that kept forming, as I was trying to keep my ovaries. It bought me enough time over the years to make it to 31 before I just had my TAH and ovary removal. I say give it a shot to see if it will help avoid, or make a less invaseive Hyst. Good luck you you!
Unread 06-06-2009, 10:22 AM

I did five months of Lupron treatment before my total hysterectomy, for the pelvic pain, constipation and abdominal swelling all to do with my periods. Once on the injection, I was induced into menopause and had minor hot flashes and a little insomnia. But it was well worth it as it stopped the pain all over, the periods quit and I felt the best I had since having my babies nine years ago. My surgery was Dec 30.08 and they took everything. I am pleased to say that taking the Lupron for five months shrank everything down enough that the doctor had no troubles while in my abdomin. The Dr was pleased to tell me that the Lupron was the right step for me to take before surgery. I wish you the best of luck
Unread 06-07-2009, 08:08 AM

I am only 6 weeks into lupron. My periods sound like yours. In April I did not leave the house for 4 weeks except to go to the Drs twice (literally)
The 1st shot of lupron stopped my period after 2.5 weeks.
My fibroids appear to be shrinking as my stomach is very flat compared to 6 weeks ago & beyond. I have also lost 3 #.
The side effects from the lupron are pretty bad for me. But I think still better tolerated then those debilitating periods.
I have my hysterectomy scheduled for Aug. This morning I am contemplating moving it up to July- because my side effects are so bad.
Good Luck to you.
Unread 06-08-2009, 08:28 AM

I did five months of Lupron and could just about quote Interrupted as to how it was for me. The terrible bleeding and huge belly made the instant menopause a cakewalk compared to the Lupron. It worked well for me, my fibroids got much smaller. It took two months for the bleeding to completely stop but it was worth it.

You can opt for the one month shots so you don't need to commit to three months of the Lupron. If you react very badly you don't have to continue taking the shots.

Lupron can be rough but it can also be very helpful. I too had a less invasive surgery because of the Lupron.
Unread 06-08-2009, 09:05 AM

You are ALL so helpful! I so appreciate your input. My lower "belly" is so "huge" right now, I just hate looking at my profile in a mirror! Beyond all the back pain, and true issues that are going on. It sounds like Lupron COULD help. Thanks for your thoughts!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register