TVH that turned into a TAH:) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH that turned into a TAH:) TVH that turned into a TAH:)

Unread 06-08-2009, 12:20 PM
TVH that turned into a TAH:)

So where to start. My doctor suspected Adenomyosis so we scheduled a TVH. May 28th I went in at 8:30am terrified and had amazing nurses and great anesthesiologist who were so calming. My doctor is wonderful. He was going to make this the least invasive he could. He said no catheter so that we could avoid any bladder irritation. I was happy because I hate catheters. fast forward and I wake up in recovery with a second iv, a catheter and pain in my abdominal area. The nurse must have been psychic because she immediately came and gave me some pain meds and a nice warm blanket I rested comfortably and one of the nurses told me that the doc did have to take one of my ovaries, which was not planned. I was okay with that because I had done my research and read here on hystersisters that all can be well on just one ovary. So once I was taken to my room my DH and my mom were allowed into my room. MY doctor came in and had already told my family hat all went down. He said there was so much scar tissue from 2 previous c sections that they could not get my hysterectomy done vaginally. There was some excessive bleeding because of the scar tissue and so he had to go abdominally. My blood levels were not good and they said they were going to have to send me to a hospital if they weren't happy with the progress on recovery after an overnight stay in an outpatient surgical center. At that point I was still so groggy I was agreeing with everything they were saying. The nurses were great and kept the pain meds coming regularly. I am not usually big on pain meds but I can say that I did not hesitate to take them this time! Got to finally take the catheter out at the end of the day. I could not wait! I just kept thinking if I could just get that out I would be fine! So they took it out and asked if I wanted to try and get up. I was fine with that. I remembered from my c sections that the sooner you get up and get walking the better. So I slowly got myself out of bed and asked to walk to the bathroom. I went to the potty right away and went back to bed. It hurt to initially get up. That burning feeling happens in the incision area but it goes away fairly quickly. It comes back less and less the more you get up and walk. Because I was able to get up and use the bathroom, and because y blood levels were all good I got to go home the next day. Ride home was a little nerve wracking. Wish I would have had a pillow for my tummy but something that does help that I remembered from the c sections was that I took a nice large pad (that I didn't use as I was having no bleeding) and put it across my incision. now I am home and somedays are better than others, but some of those "bad" days are more because of hormones i think. I cry a little bit sometimes, which i have never been a cryer so this is odd. But as long as I take it easy all is well. Good luck to all going in for their procedures! Just take it easy! One day at a time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register