almost a year a feeling lousy! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

almost a year a feeling lousy! almost a year a feeling lousy!

Unread 09-03-2001, 04:33 PM
almost a year a feeling lousy!

Hi everyone! I haven't been here for awhile as I've had all kinds of complications since my hyst. My question is this, since my hysterectomy I've been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and highblood pressure. Also, my weight keeps going up and up no matter what I do! My doctor told me the HB was because of the anesthetic (since I had complications with my surgery - they ruptured my bladder - I had to have two surgeries instead of one!) The arthritis they said was because I had a hysterectomy! That it was quite common! I was stunned! Why don't they tell you that before you go in for the operation? Also, I have had little or no energy since my surgery (which btw was Nov. 21 last year). I'm also still having pain during intercourse!

Anyone else having problems like these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2001, 05:20 PM

Hi,

I also have had a lot of side effects that I know are due to the hysterectomy, even though my doctors say otherwise. I have developed arthritis and a lot of joint pain, especially in my fingers and knees. I have numbness in my hands when I sleep. When the numbness goes away, I have severe pain in my fingers for a few minutes. I also have little energy, probably due to lack of sleep from the insomnia I have had since the surgery.

Did your doctor explain why arthritis is a symptom of hysterectomy? Are you on HRT?

I wish you well, and I hope you feel btter soon.
Unread 09-03-2001, 05:57 PM

September 19th will be one year since my surgery. I too have been experiencing pain in the joints, especially in my knees. I thought it was because I had arthroscopic surgery 5 yars ago, but the physical therapist said it's arthritis. I never heard that it could be from the hysterectomy. Does anyone know where we can find out more info relating to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2001, 06:03 PM

{{Laura}},
I'm sorry you are still having problems. It seems energy is one of the last things to return I'm still waiting for mine to come back! I was dx with Fibro several months after my Hyst which causes a lot of joint pain and fatigue. I also have that numbing and tingling in my arms and hands which I will be discussing with one of my Docs on Tues. Sex has become a thing of the past for me 20 months later and it is still extremely painful along with the many other painful parts. Among a few things Nerve damage or Adhesions could cause this. Have you mentioned it to your Doc?
I hope you are able to find some relief, please keep us posted.
Unread 09-03-2001, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by christinarose
Hi,

I also have had a lot of side effects that I know are due to the hysterectomy, even though my doctors say otherwise. I have developed arthritis and a lot of joint pain, especially in my fingers and knees. I have numbness in my hands when I sleep. When the numbness goes away, I have severe pain in my fingers for a few minutes. I also have little energy, probably due to lack of sleep from the insomnia I have had since the surgery.

Did your doctor explain why arthritis is a symptom of hysterectomy? Are you on HRT?

I wish you well, and I hope you feel btter soon.
Although I'm sorry to hear everyone is experiencing the same things, it's nice to know I'm not alone. As far as the arthritis, my doctor said this is relatively new and they are currently doing studies on it, but apparently it has to do with weak immune systems. People prone to allergies and such are far more likely to develop arthritis and especially high blood pressure after surgery. With each surgery, unfortunately, it will get worse.
Currently, I'm on premarin, but I'm seriously thinking of changing it. I'm beginning to think my lethargy might be the cause of the premarin. I literally feel as if someone has cut me open (which they did come to think of it ), but then they forgot to put my blood back in. I'm TOTALLY drained.
Unread 09-05-2001, 05:47 AM

Christinarose,

That numbness and pain at night sounds just like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome! I suffered with it for 12 years until i finally worked up the courage to go get surgery. I t was the best thing i ever did! I finally could sleep at night without having to get up and wildly swing my arms around to relieve the numbness and pain. Amazing how something could be that numb and still hurt! So you may want to check with your doc to see if that's what it is. Christy

P.S. The surgery for carpal tunnel is a trifling little thing compared to the hysterectomy I underwent 9 days ago!
Unread 09-05-2001, 01:33 PM
Christyl

Hi Christyl,

My doctor prescribed wrist braces to wear at night because she does feel that it may be carpal tunnel symdrome. The braces help somewhat, but I find myself ripping them off during the night when I have a night sweat!! I never had this problem unti I had my hysterectomy. I feel it is related somehow.

I wish you well in your recovery. Get lots of rest !!
Unread 09-09-2001, 03:02 PM

i too am almost a year post op (nov 27) i stay tired! i cant sleep good at night and during the day at work i get so sleepy that i cant stay awake hardly. i mean i feel like i have been drugged. you know dizzy and all. and my belly still gets bad swelly! i go from a size 10 to a 14 in one day! i had no idea this was such a hard surgery to get over. i am so tired of the constant pain. it is time for it to STOP! and people around me! they are all the time popping off! that i was faking this. my own dh doesnt think anything is wrong with me. he says the swelly belly is fat. tell me why it goes from almost flat to looking 7 months PG in a matter of minutes! im sorry i am going on and on here huh! thanks for letting me vent!! gentle hugs to all of you!!
Unread 09-09-2001, 07:04 PM

Hi Pam,
I am sending hugs your way. I feel exactly as you do. I can't sleep, I have awful hot flashes and night sweats, and I tire very easily. At times I feel like I can't make it through the work day. I have swelly belly also. It is ok in the morning and by midday, it looks like a basketball, and it hurts!!! I haven't felt well since the surgery. I know that people are tired of listening to me about how awful I feel. I am sick of listening of myself!!!

There has to be a light at the end of the tunnel for all of us. We need to just hang in there and hopefully things will get much better. I wish you all the best.
Unread 09-10-2001, 02:38 PM

yeah, there is a lot the doctors forget to tell you! That blood pressure is common too after a hyst. Please go to the American Heart Association website. They can answer a lot of questions and offer info. Did you know that hysted women have a 400% more chance of developing heart disease? Also this past spring Woman's Day magazine had a great article on heart problems following hysts.
Pain with intercouse a year after surgery indicates a problem. It could be a shortened vagina( did they take your cervix?) or it could be nerve damage or it could be scar tissue or it could mean your vagina is in the wrong location...... please see an urogynocologist . They can help determine what is wrong. Also if it is scar tissue, contact a physical therapist trained in post hyst care or women's issues. It relieved a lot of my pain. good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register