Pre-Cancer: What is the Protocol with 2 doctors | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is the Protocol with 2 doctors What is the Protocol with 2 doctors

Unread 06-12-2009, 05:49 PM
What is the Protocol with 2 doctors

I posted this originally as a reply to another thread on first visit to Gyn/onc and then realised it wasn't really in line with the subject, so I am posting my question here. So how do you delete a post?

what is the protocol when you are consulting with 2 doctors. I am doing the same next week - one Weds and one Thurs. I don't actually have a diagnosis of cancer as they have been unable to get to my lining as they were unable to open my cervix for a D&C plus hysteroscopy . From reading posts here, it seems common to book a hysterectomy at the time of the appointment. Also what is the usual time frame?

Will admit I am getting overly anxious about all this as I thought the D&C with hysteroscopy would have given me certain answers by now but 2 wks later I am no further along than 16 April when mother nature came along unexpectedly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Re: What is the Protocol with 2 doctors

When consulting with 2 docs (I assume they are both gyn/oncs?) you attend each appointment and listen to what they have to say. You do not have to make any commitment after the first appointment or after the second appointment. Just tell them you'd like some time to think about it. After the second appointment, take inventory, compare the notes you've made, and decide which doctor you like better or which you trust more with your situation, then follow up with them on the plan of treatment they suggested.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Unread 06-13-2009, 11:40 AM

Thank you for the reply- its stupid really because its been really bothering me. It was bad enough finding a gynecologist but looking for the next level up is even more stressful. Its not like you are shopping like a dress but sometimes it made to feel like that - is that a weird simile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2009, 02:52 PM

In cases of cancer getting a second opinion is not shocking to the doctors involved - you could even ask them for the name of someone for a second opinion (although in your case it sounds like you already have 2 names).

Ideally you have someone else with whom you can discuss the approaches they recommend - maybe a friend or husband, maybe your regular GYN or a primary care doctor? They may very well tell you something similar, in which case it does pretty much come down to your feeling with them. If they tell you different things, then you can actually tell them what you heard from the other one (for the second one you see this is easier, but you can always call the first one back to talk further too).

I have paid attention to the suggestion on here to have a written list of questions. It helps me to have to not worry about forgetting something, and I have also started taking notes when I see a doctor, just because I don't always trust my memory afterwards - selected memory... Having the same questions for both docs can also make your comparison a bit easier.

I haven't consulted with a second gyn-onc, but I did see a regular oncologist (friend of a friend) just to have someone very knowledgeable to talk to who is able to put my treatment plan into context and who takes the time to explain things to me. I told my gyn-onc up front that I would be seeing him.

I am fortunate to be well-connected in the medical field where I live (via friends and professional contacts) so I was able to get several people to advise me on who was the best gyn-onc her. I was lucky - the same person my gyn referred me to is the name that kept coming up as the one other doctors and cancer experts were telling me would be who they would see or refer a family member to. If you have friends who are doctors or nurses I do think this networking approach is a good one.

good luck - I hope you get a medical team in place that you can trust
Unread 06-15-2009, 06:12 AM

You've got good replies. If the doctors' recommendations should differ, you may want to discuss their opinions with a doctor you know and trust and he/she might also be able to recommend a gyn/onc they know to get a 3rd opinion.
As suggested, pls go with a list of question and you may want to include: What would you advise if I were a close family member? Taking another trusted person along is always helpful too.
Good luck and pls keep us updated.
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:49 AM

thanks Peggiesue, unfortunately I don't have any other trusted person to go with and my husband cannot get the time off. However, I have looked at the suggested questions and written them down. Without this site I would be totally lost, so thank you. I have some questions myself ' like how often does it happen that a D&C can't be performed due to the cervix not opening and will it have a bearing on the type of operation performed".

Getting kind of anxious by it all, to be honest and my blood pressure is all over the place! Saw my GP today and he has put me on beta blockers and zoloft to calm me down. Much as I know deep down that nothing is seriously wrong, my brain is insisting on being overactive and over imaginative. Hypochondriacs anonymous here I come lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register