Surgery in a couple of days - wondering about food beforehand | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery in a couple of days - wondering about food beforehand Surgery in a couple of days - wondering about food beforehand

Unread 06-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Surgery in a couple of days - wondering about food beforehand

How are you doing? What are you eating today?

I'm trying to stick to a soft diet. I had a milk shake for breakfast. Some noodles at lunch. I had some rice pudding and some cheetos. I'm going to have some mashed taters for dinner. I'm having trouble finding things that would be considered "soft". I don't want soup, i'm gonna drink enough broth tomorrow and after surgery.

Is turkey ok? I want to have some sliced turkey and grave with my taters but wonder if that would be to heavy?
I can't believe how fast this weekend is going. I'm trying to get laundry and cleaning caught up.

I need to be drinking more water, but i hate water. LOL I hope my ice tea will count has water.

I have to start prep at noon tomorrow. How about ev1 else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Re: June 23rd ladies?

Hi, I too have surgery on the 23rd.
I had 2 donuts for breakfast and nothing else yet.
My bowel prep starts at noon Tue., 4 Ducolax tabs chased down by a bottle of Magnesium Citrate and then at 6:00 p.m. another bottle of Magnesium Citrate. here I come !!!
I''m not sure what I'll have for dinner, maybe mexican food ?
Best wishes to you on your big day at the castle!

Unread 06-21-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car^go View Post
Hi, I too have surgery on the 23rd.
I had 2 donuts for breakfast and nothing else yet.
My bowel prep starts at noon Tue., 4 Ducolax tabs chased down by a bottle of Magnesium Citrate and then at 6:00 p.m. another bottle of Magnesium Citrate. here I come !!!
I''m not sure what I'll have for dinner, maybe mexican food ?
Best wishes to you on your big day at the castle!

I'd love mexican food but was told to have a low fiber diet for 2 days before.

I too take the Dulcolax then a bottle of Miralax(mixed with gatorage) then 4 more dulcolax. YEA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2009, 06:00 PM

WOO, are we gonna have fun on Monday ! LOL
What time do you have to be there at the castle?
My arrival time is 9:00 w/ surgery at 10:30.
Can't wait for it to be all over with!!!!!!!!!

Carol
Unread 06-21-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car^go View Post
WOO, are we gonna have fun on Monday ! LOL
What time do you have to be there at the castle?
My arrival time is 9:00 w/ surgery at 10:30.
Can't wait for it to be all over with!!!!!!!!!

Carol
I don't find out until tomorrow.
Unread 06-21-2009, 06:30 PM

I'm in the UK and the only bowel prep advice I've been given is, "Make sure you pass a stool on Monday" I resisted the temptation to ask whether it should be bar stool or a kitchen one

I've had a lovely weekend eating whatever I wanted, diet out the window but I can't cope with dieting AND surgery on Tuesday.

Tomorrow I think I'm going for fruit for breakfast and then soups and soft veggies until mid-afternoon then I'll go onto just fruit juice and water. I'm already on dulcoease (stool softener) due to menopause constipation issues so I'm not going to risk having a full gut before I go in. I have to be at the hospital for 7am GMT+1 which is, I think, either 2 or 3am USA East coast time. I'm not to have anything by mouth after midnight. My surgery is scheduled for 9am.

Our young horse has bashed his knee this weekend and we'll need to have the vet out tomorrow as anti-inflammatories, cold water and massage haven't helped. It doesn't seem to hurt him at all and he's not limping but we've kept him in anyway. I did tell him that now was not a good time to be needing additional care as my poor DH is going to have to try and do that on top of look after the house, me and go to work

I'm a bit weepy at times but I'm now just wanting it over and done with. I've got everything in place, including a lovely, big, new cushion 20x20 inches, with a teal blue cover.

I went and got fitted for and bought myself a pretty, lacey, white bra the other day to try and cheer myself up and make myself a bit more feminine and desirable. I'm struggling a bit here as we have a transgender woman in the family and someone said I'll only have the same girly bits as she has after my surgery, (aaaargh) another reckons I'll be back to normal in 2-3 weeks and shouldn't let myself become an invalid, then they wonder why I don't call or visit them much!

Enough waffling, I'm ever so slightly terrified which is totally normal so I'm reassured I'm at least normal in that department.

It's way past my bedtime so night night ladies
Unread 06-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Re: Surgery in a couple of days - wondering about food beforehand

If I remember right, a soft diet usually includes things like hot cereal (Cream of Wheat, Malt-o-Meal, etc.), pudding, cream soups, etc.

Were you told to have a soft diet today? While I didn't have a bowel prep for my hysterectomy, I did not have any particular dietary restrictions before my other bowel prep.

You are very right to drink lots of water. It's really important to stay hydrated. The iced tea counts... but since it contains caffeine, you may want to consider decaffeinated tea (if it doesn't give you a headache). Caffeine tends to dehydrate you a bit... but if that's the only way you can really handle it, then go for it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register