All the appointments | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

All the appointments All the appointments

Unread 06-22-2009, 06:12 PM
All the appointments

I can not wait for my sister to get here. She will be staying with me throughout this whole deal. She will bring her kids and dog and I will have a FULL house. And I do not mind, my boys go to their dad's 2 days a week, and I'm left to alone to let my mind do some serious wandering-----not always a good thing. So having a full house will help keep me occupied and my mind from thinking too much. I also start thinking that my SO will no longer want me and what sex will be like. He tells me over and over he doesn't care about bags or scars, he just wants me to be ok and that is all he needs and the change in my appearance won't change his desire for me. For some reason that is what bothers me the most, stupis I know, I just want to feel attractive still. I have found a lady who created a company who makes very nice and attractive intimate wear and undergarments for pepople who have ostomies and I was very surprised, you can't even tell a person is wearing bags with these things and they are VERY PRETTY! So I am definately going to give this place some serious business.

Plus my sister will take me to all these pre-op appointments. Reality got me for a moment today when the plastic surgeons office called to tell me of my appointment with him on July 2nd. I got to thinking I just might ask for a boob job while he's reconstructing my pelvis. LOL.

I'm glad I can come on here and just ramble random thoughts, it does help. Thanks for being here ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Re: All the appointments

Also, I've never had a long hospital stay. The last time was for the internal rads and I had to lay flat on my back for 3 days straight, and I wasn't allowed to do much of anything.

What do I need to bring? I know I am definately bringing my lap top. I know you ladies are thinking, WHAT? But that is how I am, from my research they try having you up the next day and begina walking. I will become bored, so I will bring the laptop just in case. And my MP3 player. But I don't know the other necessities ladies bring when they are having surgeries so any ideas would be appreciated.
Unread 06-22-2009, 07:01 PM

I had hubby bring my laptop the day after surgery! My friends thought I was crazy, but I checked out my message boards and read email. Didn't write too much, though. Took DVDs to watch--TV channel selection was pretty bad.

Check out the boards for "pre op"--they are great! I took some make up, hand cream, a pretty colored PJ top to make me look my best/keep me warm, magazines, iPod, dry shampoo, and saline nasal spray (it's dry in hospital). I am sure others will give you suggestions, too.

Good luck! Sending positive thoughts your way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2009, 08:32 PM

Get this book and the CD that goes with it:
Prepare for Surgery,
Heal Faster
A Guide of Mind-Body Techniques
by Peggy Huddleston
There is an audio that is a meditative piece that you practice with during the time leading up and then you take the audio and some headphones with you right into surgery and listen to that while you are under. (get a cheapo little mp3 player if you don't want to risk your usual one - just make sure the batteries will allow it to run long enough)

They have some affirmations to have the anesthetist say at certain key times. Apparently they have really studied this and patients who use this have much faster and easier recovery. I got the recommendation from my Dr. but they were offering it to patients at the hospital. I thought the anesthetist might be hesitant, but he was totally into it. The resident who did a lot of the hands on stuff took care of it.

I practiced with the tape in the weeks leading up to surgery and it was very helpful for relaxing and sleeping better - and I am not a good meditator!

If you are going to bring your laptop, be sure to get some sort of lock for it - the wire "leash" ones are easy and cheap.

Hope this helps.
-ll
Unread 06-22-2009, 08:43 PM

First thing that comes to my mind is lip balm. The stuff they give you in hospital is just nasty and makes your dried, chapped lips burn even more. At least it did with me.

Also, some magazines or a book. I took a book, but couldn't concentrate enough to read or even remember what I read because of the meds I was on, so DH brought in some magazines which have quick little articles and pretty pics. I read the articles repeatedly and still couldn't tell you what I read.

Hope all goes well. Hugs.
Unread 06-22-2009, 09:49 PM

The one thing I wish I had taken was a small notepad and pen. I would think of something I wanted to ask the DR and with all the meds I would always forget also a tummy pillow, it helped getting in and out of bed, lip balm and a good lotion for dry skin was nice to have too.

I'm glad your sister is coming to stay with you, it does sound like you are going to have a house full.

Jean
Unread 06-23-2009, 08:25 PM

Hi,
I too really liked ( and still listen to) Peggy Huddleston's CD. Her website is www.healfaster.com. It helped me enormously! My sister was with me for my surgery and I loved having her there. She brought a package of Instant Breakfasts, which I never thought I'd use...but the food was pretty awful and I wound up using the whole lot of them. They are sugary but at least have some vitamins and protein.
I'd love it if someone would make some pretty compression socks and stockings in fun colors or patterns. maybe this could be a business op for someone? Your ostomy undies sound perfect!
All best,
LH
Unread 06-23-2009, 08:57 PM

Way to make lemonade out of lemons. You are doing a fabulous job fighting back against cancer. Wish you smooth sailing
and a speedy recovery.

Get a cute new hair cut easy to manage before going in and your nails done. That always helps cheer me up.
Unread 06-23-2009, 09:06 PM

A back scratcher! I went crazy my second night because the compression socks made my legs itch and I couldn't bend over to scratch them. Also, since you'll be there 10 days, bring a comfy blanket with you. It helps make things less "hospital" and a little more cozy. Your own chap stick will make a world of difference too.
Unread 06-23-2009, 09:56 PM

Definitely lip balm! One of the sisters here suggested taking a fanny-pack (for that lip balm, etc.) that you can hook to your bed rail so you'll have access without having to ask for help. I always take baby wipes whenever I'm away from home. They're nice for a quick freshen-up.

I also took some books but didn't feel "focused" enough for that. Magazines were much better. If you have any used/discount book stores, sometimes they have magazines super cheap (we snagged a bunch for my mom when she was ill recently).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register