PCOS and keeping ovaries??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PCOS and keeping ovaries??? PCOS and keeping ovaries???

Unread 06-22-2009, 06:26 PM
PCOS and keeping ovaries???

I am scheduled for a TVH due to severe uterine prolapse. Two opinions have told me that it will be best to keep my ovaries. I have PCOS though, so it still seems strange that my ovaries should be kept. I would SO appreciate any thoughts on this. I just don't feel confident about keeping them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Re: PCOS and keeping ovaries???

i have PCOS and had a hyst on may 19th. i am 25 years old, too. the dr. told me that i should keep at least one ovary because of the hormone issue, i really am too young for menopause. and she also said that getting rid of the ovaries wont get rid of the PCOS. i guess that many other hormone producing organs are part of the whole thing.
anyway, this is just what i know, i hope it helps a bit!!
Unread 06-22-2009, 08:42 PM

I also have PCOS and had my TAH almost a month ago. My doctor said that even with the PCOS, it's still best to keep the ovaries because they will still produce estrogen, which you will need. If they are removed, the body goes into menopause and HRT is often needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2009, 08:46 PM

I'm 39 and had a hyster in February. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (sp?) have had for years. My GYN told me it was my decision whether to keep them or not. I read A LOT for literally months before the surgery. Everything I read made me believe that I should keep at least one ovary. I won't go into the details here, but google it and you'll see what I mean.

Day of surgery I told my GYN "take the ugliest one" and he did.

I now have only one and I'm very happy with that decision.
Unread 06-22-2009, 09:07 PM

I had PCOS and I discussed it with my doctor in a lot of detail before making the decision to remove both of them. My PCOS conditions were affecting my health, so I decided to have them both removed. I am very glad that I did that as my medical conditions have improved immensely. I also had uterine cancer, so taking HRT wasn't an option for me.
Unread 06-23-2009, 08:04 AM

Hi

There are so many variables that go into making a decision such as this, even with PCOS. These wonderful sisters here who have replied just prove this point.

First, some women have more severe symptoms with PCOS than others. Second, there can be secondary issues, such as cancer as one of our sisters experienced. Third, age also is a factor to consider.

If a woman with PCOS keeps her ovaries, or one ovary, then she can use a birth control pill to keep her hormones regulated if necessary. I have been reading a lot lately where a low glycemic diet may be all that is necessary. I have a friend who keeps her pcos under control with diet, metformin, and spironolactone. I'm guessing that depending on your symptoms, one or all of these treatments may be required.

I had my ovaries removed. They just didn't look good, and were attached to my uterus with scar tissue. They couldn't be saved. Now, instead of using a birth control pill, I take HRT, which (for me) is a much safer alternative. I also use metformin and spironolactone. I am honestly working hard to be able to discontinue those last two meds by watching my diet.

The most important thing to do, with any medical condition, is to find the Doctor who is the most educated you can on the subject, and seriously listen to what they have to say.

In most instances, this would be an Endocrinologist, as they are the hormone experts. Honestly, PCOS is a relatively new diagnosis, it is very complicated because it is an endocrine disorder, and not all Dr's are interested enough to research the latest info "out there".

Having my ovaries removed was the best thing for me. I feel better and more balanced now than I have in my whole life.

I have also seen women with PCOS who have kept their ovaries, such as those who have replied here, who are very glad they did.

If you haven't seen an Endocrinologist yet, you might try to by calling and explaining the decision you have to quickly make. They usually take many months to get in to see, at least around my neck of the woods.

Here are my Best Wishes for you, that your Dr's will help you make the best decision for YOU.

Kay
Unread 06-23-2009, 06:56 PM

Kay your post is most interesting. I posted earlier that I have PCOS and during my Feb hyster, kept only one ovary. What's interesting is that just 2 years ago I was disgnosed with an endocrine disorder. I had a large solid tumor on my thyroid gland. It was completely removed, gland and all. Now I am dependent on thyroid medication for the rest of my life. Luckily, it's readily available and cheap.

I don't know what went wrong with my body really. After my son was born 4 years ago I just got weaker and weaker. I finally went to the dr and was quickly diagnosed with these things. I never knew it was all connected though.

Oh well. Glad that I am beginning to feel like myself again. Really, really glad.

Sorry to steal the thread...
Unread 06-23-2009, 11:30 PM

I have PCOS and had my left ovary removed due to a cyst in October 2007. Within a year I had another ovarian cyst on my right ovary. I don't know whether you have issues with cysts growing rapidly but I did apparently. I am 37 and while I am not as young as some on this post, it wasn't a very difficult decision to make for me. The different avenues that my doctor and I pursued to rid my body of the cyst (birth control pills) only caused the cyst to grow more rapidly and I developed the fibroid tumor.

I had my TAH on March 20, 2009 and the right ovary was removed as well. By the time the cyst was removed it was the size of a large apple and I also had a fibroid the size of a golfball.

Have you had a history of cysts growing and not leaving your body at the onset of your period?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register