1 wk post op from TOTAL hyster, can't sleep! HELP! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 wk post op from TOTAL hyster, can't sleep!  HELP! 1 wk post op from TOTAL hyster, can't sleep! HELP!

Unread 06-25-2009, 02:09 AM
1 wk post op from TOTAL hyster, can't sleep! HELP!

It's been 1 week and 1 day since my TOTAL hyster and I actually feel GREAT except I can't sleep. I will go to bed at 10:00 and be in the process of falling asleep then about 1 1/2 hrs later, RESTLESS LEGS and can't sleep!

Please help with suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2009, 02:39 AM
Re: 1 wk post op from TOTAL hyster, can't sleep! HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug12 View Post
It's been 1 week and 1 day since my TOTAL hyster and I actually feel GREAT except I can't sleep. I will go to bed at 10:00 and be in the process of falling asleep then about 1 1/2 hrs later, RESTLESS LEGS and can't sleep!

Please help with suggestions.
Hi There,

I guess I am not the only one with insomnia this evening? I even took a couple of Tylenol PMs a few hours ago.......and here I am still awake!!
Unread 06-25-2009, 05:59 AM

I am 10 days post-op from LSH on June 16, 2009 (kept ovaries). I had no sleep troubles during the first week, but am having trouble getting to sleep, and am now having trouble staying asleep. I toss and turn all night with a few minutes of sleep in between. I also have bad dreams most of the night. I thought the dreams were caused by the codeine, but I have not had codeine for several nights, and I'm still having the dreams. I tried melatonin last night, but it didn't seem to help. I have a prescription of Ambien, but I am hesitant to use it. I have my post-op appt with my doctor this morning, so I'll ask her about my options. I am 41-years-old and have never had trouble sleeping until now.

I knew that many women have sleep issues during menopause, but I didn't think I would encounter them since I kept my ovaries. I am open to any suggestions and would like to read other stories similar to mine.

Thanks for all your support.

Becky
LSH June 16, 2009 due to endo and adenomyosis
kept ovaries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2009, 06:01 AM

I'm not the best example seeing I slept less than 20 minutes total until 5:15 am when I feel asleep and clock rang at 6:30 I have 2 doctor appointments this morning. But a couple of months ago I used melatonin and that help to break my insomnia cycle a few weeks ago. Check with doc to make sure ok first. I slowly increased the dose until I was able to fall asleep then tapered and stopped. I've used it a few times since at the dose I found most effective. The tylenol PM didn't do anything for me either.
I've heard of a product by never found it called Sleepy Time Tea that is suppose to be effective.
Good luck sleeping.
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:41 AM

I too use Melatonin. I went to a sleep doctor and they suggested it, as it will help "reset" your circadian rhythm. You brain naturally releases Melatonin, as it is the "sleep hormone", but when your sleep cycle gets off, the brain quits releasing it. So, I take my melatonin around 8pm. It is NOT a sleeping pill, and will not help immediately, but over the course of a week, you should notice yourself getting sleepy around 10-11pm. I am no doctor, but this is what has worked for me.
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:43 AM

I am 6 weeks post op and can assure you that none of you are alone! Due to complications following my surgery I have had the luxury of seeing my dr. once a week. To make a long story short, I have taken the following meds alone or somehow mixed with no results: ambien, xanax, flexeril.....yesterday she prescribed restoril 30 mg for me and it actually worked. I have had ONE real nights sleep since May 13. Prior to surgery I had no problems because I take requip for restless legs syndrome and was able to sleep really well. Now I am having to take 2 of my requips in addition to the restoril. I do not regret my surgery but I am ready to throw the insomnia out the window for good!!
Unread 06-25-2009, 02:51 PM

I have never had trouble sleeping before my surgery.Now I have to take benadryl or tylenol PM or I will not go to sleep.
Necessary naps may be part of the problem. I am 5 weeks post RALH.
Unread 06-25-2009, 03:42 PM

i take 15mg of melatonin an hour before bed and it helps a lot. ive tried just about every prescription sleep med over the years and melatonin works just as good or better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register