Surgery soon -- bad cough | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery soon -- bad cough Surgery soon -- bad cough

Unread 07-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Surgery soon -- bad cough

Surgery (DaVinci subtotal hysterectomy, sacrocolpoperineopexy, and TVT bladder sling -- the works) is scheduled for July 17. I really want this over and done with before school starts in late August (I'm a teacher). The prolapses presented themselves in dramatic fashion in March after a bad cough. I'm still coughing a dry cough (doctor thinks it's a combination of allergies and GERD -- just started treatment for the latter and am hitting the allergy hard too with steroid nose spray and antihistimines). Then of course, the day after I see the dr about the GERD, I get a cold, and now the cough is worse. I can't tell if the GERD treament is even working. If I were anyone else, I'd say I have plenty of time to get over the cough, but this is a cough from %$#.

Last night I took cough medicine with codeine and it didn't even help.

It seems like coughing through recovery would be most unpleasant and could possibly jeopardize the repairs. Anyone have any advice or any experience with going into surgery with a cough?

Jeanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Re: Surgery soon -- bad cough

Jeanne--

I personally wouldn't advise going into any surgery with a cough and yes, this particular surgery could be compromised by a chronic cough. I am checked each time before surgery by an anesthesiologist who would not let the surgery proceed if I had any type of cough, I'm sure. I wonder if you'd be allowed to have yours also?

Prolapses can be caused and increased by chronic coughing. You can go to the top of the Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues forum here and click on the 1st thread under 'Resources'. Go to the Pelvic Support Disorders and click on that. You can read about how chronic coughing and other things can affect pelvic organ prolapse.

After each surgery I had, my doctors gave me fairly strict orders against lifting and exercise especially in the first weeks of recovery. You will need to ask your doctor what s/he advises for you. The big surgery I had in 2/07, I was told not to lift anything heavier than the TV remote for 2 weeks and I could not drive during that time either. The weight restrictions were gradually lifted over a period of several weeks until I reached a lifetime limit of about 20-25 pounds. Again, you need to find out what will be your limit.

Hope this helps a little.

Unread 07-06-2009, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the reply. I just got off the phone with the surgeon's nurse. She's going to check with him tomorrow and get back to me.

Yes, I'm told not to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs for six weeks. That I can do. The coughing, though, I don't seem to be able to control.

The only thing I haven't tried is oral steroids, which did do the trick the last time I fell into a three-month long cough.

I have not talked to the anesthesiologist yet, but I plan to because I also have fragile jaw joints (had surgery 1.5 years ago -- don't want to screw that up). In fact I just picked up a letter from the oral surgeon today explaining the problem and emphasizing that the anesthesiologist needs to be very careful with the jaw during intubation.

As I said, I really wanted this fixed this summer. If it's not this summer, then I will likely have to put it off until next summer -- and live with it until then.

Ack....this is getting so complicated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2009, 08:11 PM

Well, the surgeon sent me back to the GP about the cough. She said my lungs are clear so she doesn't see a problem regarding the anesthesia. Good news there. However, regarding coughing through recovery -- she couldn't say.

Has anyone had a cough during recovery? Did that hurt as much as I think it will? Could it jeopardize repairs?

She said allergies were still clearly one of the causes of the cough and changed the antihistamine to something stronger. She also thought maybe I should see an ENT about a possible inflamed larynx. She said I could postpone the surgery and see the ENT first, but she also understood where I was coming from regarding a teacher's schedule. Hard to know what to do.
Unread 07-08-2009, 08:15 PM

I understand that you are wanting to do the surgery, but I wanted to share with you my experience with a cough before surgery.
Before I have my latest abdominal surgery I had a cough that I didnt think was to bad. The anesthesiologist said it was ok, so I did it. 2 days post op I developed a 104 fever and was sick as a dog... My small cough developed into pnuemonia. And try coughing with 100 stitches in your gut...I seriously wanted to die. So, if you have any cough at all, it is worth rescheduling!!! The aftermath is just not worth it!
Unread 07-08-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyme View Post
Surgery (DaVinci subtotal hysterectomy, sacrocolpoperineopexy, and TVT bladder sling -- the works) is scheduled for July 17. I really want this over and done with before school starts in late August (I'm a teacher). The prolapses presented themselves in dramatic fashion in March after a bad cough. . . .

It seems like coughing through recovery would be most unpleasant and could possibly jeopardize the repairs. Anyone have any advice or any experience with going into surgery with a cough?

Jeanne
Jeanne -
Coughing through recovery would be ATROCIOUS. Chronic cough has a role in the development of prolapse for some women, so it would not be any use at all during recovery, which is fraught with enough challenges in itself. I understand the issues with timing for you. Had similar ones in planning my own surgery.
Is your cough seasonal -ie appearing at the same time each year? Could it be you are less fit for surgery during your summer?
J
Unread 07-08-2009, 08:42 PM

I had a horrid cold a week before my due date with one of my pregnancies, coughing, bronchitis etc. Then of course I ended up having a c-section after 5 hrs of pushing (wonder why I have pelvic relaxation problems?) and it was horrendous afterwards, trying to cough. I could not be plagued with a bad cough right now what with this rectocele repair. It hurts enough all by itself. Maybe you could get the cough under control before then, even if it means taking a steroid. I know how it is with school schedules... I planned my surgery for now because DH is a high school administrator and would be home to take care of things at this time. Good luck.
Unread 07-10-2009, 09:47 PM

Thanks everyone. The sore throat is bothering me (drainage down the back of my throat I guess), but the cough is better...not good...but better. I asked my husband and he said, yes, better, but.... The cough is still present enough, though, that a store clerk commented on it today. But at least I'm trending the right direction.

Allergies seem to be up this summer in central Texas -- something to do with the dry, oppressive heat I guess. Too bad I couldn't go someplace cooler and allergy free to recover!

I will have a pre-op appointment on Wednesday and I'm sure I'll get checked out then too.

Anxiety is running pretty high.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register