No Real Symptoms -- fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No Real Symptoms -- fibroids No Real Symptoms -- fibroids

Unread 07-02-2009, 09:20 AM
No Real Symptoms -- fibroids

Hello to all the ladies on this forum, and thanks to whoever created it. I am glad to have found this site however I have read several thread and mine situation is a little different hope someone else out there can relate. I am 39 years old. I found out I had fibroids 2 years ago, with one major bleeding episode. I don't have pain, however I do look about 3 months pregnant. I only bleed during my cycle, however quite heavy at times. I will be going to the doctor today to discuss all my options because it seems my uterus has become enlarged because of the fibroids, and the doctor thinks that the hys maybe a good option. My mother, her sister (obvious my aunt) have had fibroid and have had the hys. My oldest sister has them also, she is scheduled her hys in September.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Re: No Real Symptoms

we're in pretty much the same boat; i'm 41. found out about the fibroids probably 4 yrs ago, but i'm sure they were there previously, as i didn't go the the gynecologist with any regularity; rarely any crazy bleeding, but occasional and rare spotting; i look abt three months pregnant also with the same type of cycle;

doc has watched for 4 years; mine are growing slowly, but growing...currently 20-22 wk size; after much reading and online research i've decided on a myomectomy in september;

a lot of doctors do like the idea of a hyster. doctors i've spoken with say that the hyster is a easier operation for them, in that they remove the whole or part of the uterus, as opposed to slowly cutting away the fibroids and fixing what's left; in addition, you're almost assured to never have to deal with the problem again with a hyster, as some other types of surgery may potentially require more surgery in the future depending upon whether the fibroids grow back, and many other factors.

i started with a pro/con list, and have discovered that everyone has an opinion, but in the end the only one that counts is yours, because you have to be comfortable with the decision; do your research and make a decision out of knowledge instead of fear, and you'll be just fine!
Unread 07-02-2009, 09:43 AM

Thanks for understanding and I will definitely continue the research and weight my options. I will pray for your success in your option and ask that you will pray for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2009, 10:01 AM

will do! keep in touch!
Unread 07-02-2009, 12:58 PM

Before your appointment, I would encourage you to read through our Fibroid Resources so that you can learn all you can about fibroids and the treatment options for them. Keep a list of all of your questions and concerns as you are reading and take your list to your appointment with you.

Keep in mind that a hysterectomy is a major surgery that is not without risks so if there are less invasive alternatives for you, they should be worth checking into! It is also a good idea to seek at least a second medical opinion before scheduling any major surgery!

I wish you all the best and hope that you find a lot of support and information here on the site!

Unread 07-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Re: No Real Symptoms -- fibroids

Hi KKlovespuzzles,

I also had fibroids and they are not fun!!

I might suggest you find out the size of your fibroids. Possibly you are a candidate for a less invasive hyst??

In my case, I opted for my hyst when I did because I was a candidate for a less invasive hyst (LSH). If I had done a wait-and-see..my Drs felt my fibroids would have kept growing and I would have only been a candidate for an abdominal hyst.

In the end...just do what is *best* for you. That is what is most important.

Best wishes~

Mary
Unread 07-13-2009, 07:45 AM

Hello, here's my update. I went to the doctor, my 2 fibroids have double in size (about the size of a donut hole) and my uterus is growing. Still no symptoms, besides a slight cramp on rare occassions. I've talked with family and close friends and they are all supportive. I have scheduled my hyst for July 27. I feel pretty good about the decision however reading other threads can make you second guess, pretty scare you to death, so I am trying to rely on my gut and what I believe is best for me. I would like to add that this is a great site, however sometimes things people say can cause more worry than I think some people can handle, including me!
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:02 AM

KKlovespuzzles,
I too read alot of post here regarding anything and everything that I thought could go possibly wrong. What's important to remember is that every situation is different !
Do what's right for YOU, ask lots of questions at your doc's. Also, a second opinion is a good idea to help ease your mind that you are doing the right course of action!
Keep us updated.

Carol
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:48 AM

KKLovespuzzles,
I too, had the same problems you have described. I did bleed a lot during my periods, my last cycle lasting 29 days. My doctor tried other solutions, without sucess. By the time he dared to mention surgery, I had already made the decision to have a hysterectomy. I am into my sixth week following surgery, and I can say that I am glad I did it! I no longer have to deal with the monthly stuff anymore I know several women who have had this done, and they feel the same way. Just keep that in your mind as you recover....you will feel great in the end!
Unread 07-13-2009, 09:15 AM

Thanks, Car^Go and Theresa. I will try to get that second opinion this week.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register