Questions about after surgery...need people to help me | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about after surgery...need people to help me Questions about after surgery...need people to help me

Unread 07-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Questions about after surgery...need people to help me

I am 47, had my hysterectomy on March 27, 09 and quit smoking on the same day. Doctor took everything! Now would someone please help me...I have no one to talk to and the doctor is NO help whatsoever. All he wants to do is prescribe premarin 0.625mg. I am an emotional wreck. I scream and yell and cry. I have gained 30 lbs and have NEVER ever been this heavy and I HATE it and myself to. I exercise more than i ever have and am gaining weight. I have hot flashes and the night sweats are so horrid i hardly sleep. I enjoyed sex very much before the surgery now forget it and that scares me because my fience' does not know that it does not thrill me anymore, and it is not him! I want to try natural medicine but do not know anything about it. I went to a natural store and they wanted to sell me this progestrone cream and the doctor is telling me NO I need estrogen. Is there anyone out there that is going through the same things as I am. Please someone help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Re: Questions about after surgery...need people to help me

I think you need to go back to your dr. If you can, and if he is still no help, can you change dr's? I think you need support from anyone who you can think of but the first stop is your DR. Here is a big hug from me. You shouldn't have to suffer in silence. I have found that this site is a life saver as every question I have needed to ask has been under some forum and the support you get from other sisters is great. Please get some help and report back
Unread 07-09-2009, 11:52 AM

if your dr isnt helping you through surgical menopause, you need to find a dr who will. i hope you feel better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2009, 12:17 PM

I would definitely find a new doctor!
Unread 07-09-2009, 12:18 PM

I hope you live in a large enough area so that you can shop for a doctor that better matches up with your wishes. You could look for an osteopath or even a chiropractor if they are versed in supplementation for menopause. Get out the phone book and make some calls yet today. You'll feel better that you are doing something to help yourself!

You are not going nuts - you are going through a huge biochemical change with an unusually sudden onset because it is surgically induced. You absolutely need help! Go get it!!

About your man: Explain your symptoms, including the sexual ones. Don't expect him to get it, but do expect him to respect your feelings. I've been married 16 years, and there have been times when I wasn't very interested in sex (usually around the months I had children). Without being graphic here, there are ways to please him without fully participating yourself. Just talk about it first so he understands you love him and are doing these things because you love him.
Unread 07-09-2009, 12:25 PM

I had my surgery just a few days after you.

Please, deep breaths. Take a long deep breath on a count of five, then slowly release on a count of seven. It's important that the exhale is longer than the inhale. It will fool your body into thinking all is well and you will start to relax. You sound a little over the edge and I'm worried about you. Try deep breathing for about 5 minutes. Give it time to happen.

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. It sounds horrible. Even if you can't change doctors completely can you go see a Naturopath? Trying to figure out natural medicine on your own is frustrating and almost impossible. A Naturopath will at least help you figure out what's needed and steer you in the right direction. Most are whole body healers and will take your emotional state into account as well as you individually. There are some wonderful doctors out there but there are also some that think all bodies are the same. As you know, they're not.

Your hormones are all out of whack and most of what your feeling is probably coming from the same source. Don't despair! It will get better, just get the help you need.

My fiance and I are still working on sex. Let him know what you're feeling. At first I wasn't looking for orgasm, I just needed the closeness. It sounds like you need that too and he won't know unless you tell him. Pillow talk is awesome for getting out your fears and for the best hugs ever!

Congratulations on quitting smoking! That's a tough choice when everything is so stressful. Please keep us posted on your recovery. Hugs to you!
Unread 07-09-2009, 12:45 PM

First, find another there are plenty out there that cares. I hope you feel better and your DH and you will become close even though its not the way you want it right now, believe it will be better for you and dont believe it no other way! Feel good about you as well this may help alot.
You been through a major surgery that can bring about emotions been there, he hang tight there is a big light at the of the tunnel
Unread 07-09-2009, 01:08 PM

You are in an absolutely great place to find help.

We are the same age and I had my surgery 2/2/09 so you are following behind me. I did not find this site until April unfortunately and went thru alot figuring things out. Doctors were ridiculously UN-informative!

I also had major issues with the Rx they gave me. Enjuvia for me...much like what you are taking. I honestly felt if this was what life was going to be like....I wanted off this ride. DON'T GIVE UP!!!! I repeat...DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!

When I got off the Enjuvia and started bio-identicals it was like flipping a switch. I feel sooooo much better. And, no the doctors never once mentioned bio-identicals. Nor did she seem thrilled with the idea. I actually had to argue and threaten to find another doctor to get what I wanted.

Medicine is a business here in America. Drug companies and doctors. Ethics schmethics.

I'm not saying you should take exactly what I do...just that the right thing for you WILL make a world of difference. Get an attitude, go on a mission, get what you need.

I tried to see where you are located but could not find it. I'm in California, SF Bay Area. Feel free to write.
Unread 07-09-2009, 02:38 PM

I went through the exact same thing after my Feb 18th hysterectomy. Instant menopause is a kick in the head and MANY doctors do not know how to deal with it. Find one who will work with you on all your symptoms and one who will prescribe bioidentical estrogen. Also google "The North American Menopause Society". It will have listings of doctors in your area who specialize in menopause. If you can, try to avoid going to a doc who does not specialize in menopause. The ones who don't really don't know what the resources are and simply want to put you on synthetic hormones made from horse urine. Premarin means "PREgnant MARe's urIN". Bioidenticals are plant based and synthesize with the body in a more natural way. Docs in general won't advocate for them though since they have sold out to the RX companies who can't get a patent on bioidenticals.
Anyway -- do what you can to get educated and get used to advocating for yourself. WOMEN DO NOT HAVE TO SUFFER THIS WAY. I also would suggest acupuncture from someone who really knows how to do it. Black Cohash is great -- talk to someone who knows about herbs and can help you with a mix of them to relieve your specific symptoms. Get on a GOOD fish oil and multivitamin.

Also - ask your doc to test your blood for your estrogen, progesterone and testosterone, as well as B12, Vit D, cortisol, your adrenal glands and thyroid. My first blood test showed DRAMATIC deficiencies that explained ALL of my symptoms. My second blood test 2 weeks ago showed DRAMATIC improvement after I had been doing all the things I suggest to you. What is happening to you is real and you need to get the right kind of help. Do whatever it takes to get it and don't be afraid to say "thanks but no thanks" to docs who do not have your best interest in mind.

Good luck to you, my sister. You are not alone. Please trust that life will not be this way forever once you begin to get the help you need.
Unread 07-09-2009, 11:20 PM

I know the feeling, I had to do all my own research and decide what was going to work for me, I did the estrogen gel only for a year and then tried it with testosterone, then with more research I added a little progesterone cream too, this was the what helped me, I hope it helps you good luck HUGS

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_97233.htm

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register