Pre Op Exercise recommendations | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre Op Exercise recommendations Pre Op Exercise recommendations

Unread 07-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Pre Op Exercise recommendations

I have prolapse and am having a hyster. in about 2 weeks, what type if any, of exercises can I do to help speed up recovery and make recovery easier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Re: Pre Op Exercise recommendations

I wasn't allowed to do exercises before because I had a huge cyst. I am a big fan of yoga for exercise and relaxation!
Unread 07-10-2009, 02:11 PM

Work on strengthing your arms and shoulders, these are the muscles that you will use to pull yourself out of bed the first week. Also do some squats to strengthen your thighs. Try to picture getting in and out of a chair using only those muscles- no abs. Also walk as much as possible, that is the only type of exercise you will be allowed to do post-op.

I was also very careful with my diet the 3-4 days before surgery and didn't have the bowel problems that many did. Avoid any food that causes gas (beans, brocolli, cabbage, etc.) I also cut out carbinated drinks, alcohol, and desert. I eat mostly chicken or fish with cooked (not raw) vegetables.

You are smart to be thinking ahead. Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2009, 04:49 PM

I agree jchart.
I had my surgery scheduled well in advance so I revved up my workout routine. It paid huge dividends. I was able to reposition my self in the hospital bed and get out of bed without too much discomfort. The squats I cursed for weeks, they were a godsend the first time I went to the bathroom after surgery. I was up and walking around the ward pretty quickly and have had pretty much little discomfort during recovery. Pretty much no percocet in 2 weeks and motrin only once a day here or there as needed. I attribute it to my prep for this procedure.

Of course, the downside...three weeks into my recovery I am suffering from "workout withdrawl" and still have 3 more weeks until my next dr appt. I cannot wait to get back to another exercise other than walking . Can't wait to get to the gym and to the pool.
Unread 07-10-2009, 07:29 PM

Oy - I know that I'm going to be tapping my toes to be able to workout again. I agree that the arms and thighs are probably the muscles that will be used most. I work out regularly but thought I'd work on my abs when I found out about the surgery and then realized that was probably a silly idea. I'll work them later but right now I'm focusing even more on my arms and legs. Working out is how I burn off stress, so it's going to be tough to skip.
Unread 07-10-2009, 09:03 PM

I really miss my workouts, and know that I would not be having these back and neck pains if I was allowed to lift hand weights. I am trying some simple stretching, and one of the sisters suggested Wii yoga. I will see if any of my friends have that game that I could observe (before I buy/try). some Drs allow swimming, but mine said No, No ,No. Following her advice has been good so far, so I will stick to it.
Unread 07-10-2009, 09:16 PM

My question is: how much exercise can you really do with a prolapse? I ask because I have a prolapse with cystocele and rectocele and am finding it painful to even walk too much. I wonder if it would cause more damage to do any sort of vigorous exercise.
Unread 07-10-2009, 09:20 PM

Probably any type of cardio is going to be difficult with a prolapse, but I would think that you could do some light (5 lb) free weights with your arms. Quite honestly, if you've only got a week or two to go, I wouldn't worry about it. Spend the time doing something you enjoy and worry about the other stuff when you've recovered. We have enough to worry in the weeks right before surgery
Unread 07-10-2009, 09:39 PM

All exercise should be based on what your doctor feels is safe. I'm sorry I did not make it clear that I had no restrictions before my surgery. I also have a heart condition, and had a consult with my cardiologist before the surgery. I still feel the extra time spent on the arms and legs was well worth it.
Unread 07-10-2009, 11:43 PM

Soup cans!

Take two cans of chicken noodle soup, and start lifting them. You can do curls with your arms out and bending the wrists towards you with hands facing out, then facing in, then going across the chest with hands facing in. Then you can do the He-Man thing and lift the soup cans straight up from about head height to full up, and again out at a 45 degree angle. Start with 5 repetitions of each.

If you can handle that, then the second week try 10 repetitions.

If you're still doing good, the third week try it with full soup cans, 5 repetitions. Now, you're strong enough to hold the remote.

You will also need to work the thumbs. Start with a fist, lift the thumb into a thumbs-up position, then move the thumb down back into the first. Repeat about 5 times each hand the first week, 10 the second, 20 the third. This will ensure your thumb is in good enough shape to properly change the channel on the remote.

Whew! Typing that wore me out. I'm gonna have to go take a nap again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register