pre op Hysto. Having an abdominal total hysto on tues 21st july | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre op Hysto. Having an abdominal total hysto on tues 21st july pre op Hysto. Having an abdominal total hysto on tues 21st july

Unread 07-15-2009, 05:00 PM
pre op Hysto. Having an abdominal total hysto on tues 21st july

Hi im new to here i really want to know what will haen to me post op straight after my hysto. What am i to expect ainwise? and how long will it be before i start to feel better? Where do i see my reply also ive never used anything like this before. Also, is there a website where you can see the op being performed?
Kind regards,
Marie xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Re: pre op Hysto. Having an abdominal total hysto on tues 21st july

Hi Marie, and

I had a vaginal hysterectomy, so I'll let someone who had the same kind of surgery as you'll have stop by and talk about pain and recovery.

Unless you changed your settings, you should receive an email for each reply you receive. The email will include a link directly to the thread to help you find it!

We do have some video resources. If you click on the Resources tab (top right of the page), you'll see that one of the options is Surgery Videos. You can find links to videos of various kinds of hysterectomies there. Also, we have our own HysterSisters video channel.at https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/vbt...ubeid=20#watch. I don't know if we have abdominal videos posted yet, but you can check.

Meanwhile, I'm so glad you found us. The women here are so supportive and willing to share their experiences to help you on your way.

I'm sending some
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:19 AM

I woke up after my TAH and was very well looked after by all the staff on recovery. I was set up with a PCA (morphine pump) and I could press that lovely little button as often as every 5 minutes to ease what discomfort I had. I remember waking up with just this very bad backache but after I was set up with the PCA it took it away lovely and I was very comfortable. I was elated that the surgery was over and couldn't wait to see my DH. The whole experience wasn't half as bad as I thought and as with me you will gets lots of support from the staff looking after you. Yes, its gonna take time for you to feel your old self again but we are all here to support you............keep chatting and let us know when you have reach the 'the other side' and joins us post op princesses!!

Best wishes and hugs to you xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2009, 08:35 AM

I had my TAH/BSO a week ago and all I can tell you is to take it slow and easy. Don't push yourself and remember this will take time to heal! Make sure you ask for help with either stool softeners or something like Milk of magnesia so your first bowel movements are gentle.

I was given ice chips right away and something to drink, was very pampered by the nursing staff and given pain meds when needed. Don't be afraid to ask.

Best of luck, keep us posted
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:52 AM

Hi Mazza09,

I having my TAH/BSO on July 21 also and even though I had abdominal surgery about 23 years ago I am still scared to ribbons. I think it's only natural to be scared of something that you have no control over. Anyhow, I wish you the best and I'll see you after surgery. Maybe, we can compare notes then?
Unread 07-16-2009, 11:12 AM

July 21st for me also, so we'll all be in good company. I'm nervous but anxious to be done with this. I trust that the dr's and staff are going to take care of me well and when I get home my husband will pamper me like crazy
Unread 07-16-2009, 01:02 PM

Mazza,
I had my TAH 7 weeks ago yesterday and I was pretty nervous before the surgery, which is completely normal. When I woke up in the recovery area, I had a nurse right next to me who was talking to me and asking how I felt. Not long after they wheeled me to my room and set me up with the morphone pump, which I could use every 6 minutes. And I used it pretty regularly for about the first 4 hours and then just every couple of hours after that. You will drift in and out of sleep because you are pretty groggy. I sent my hubby home after I got to my room b/c all I wanted to do was sleep! I felt a lot better in the evening and could stay awake and talk to him. My mouth was SO dry when I came out of the recovery room, and once in my room, one of the first things I did was ask for ice chips. That helped a lot too to just get that dry fuzzy feeling out of my mouth! The first night I slept as much as I could between the noise of a hospital and the vital checks every 4 hours. My catheter was taken out about 6am the following morning, and thanks to the fluids of the IV, I had to go potty about a half hour later. I think that was the hardest part of it all for me--getting out of bed the first time. It hurt so bad! But I just gritted my teeth and got through it and took several deep breaths once I was out of bed. It got easier each time after that.

This website is a wealth of information and support and will help you feel much more knowledgable and less frightened both before and after your surgery. Good luck to you!!
Unread 07-16-2009, 03:36 PM

Can anyone tell me what DH stands for? All I can equate it to everytime I see it as, "Dumb Husband!" and I know that can't be it! haha
Unread 07-16-2009, 03:59 PM

Sometimes it does mean dumb husband but mostly it means dear husband
Unread 07-16-2009, 04:03 PM

hahaha...I thought I might be wrong, but most of the time I am not! hahaha jk..

Thank you so much! That helps me to equate better!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register