Broken-Hearted -- Loss of Pet - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Broken-Hearted -- Loss of Pet Broken-Hearted -- Loss of Pet

Unread 07-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Re: Broken-Hearted -- Loss of Pet

It is oh so very very hard to lose a pet. They become a part of your life, your family. Don't EVER let anyone say "it was just a dog/cat". That happened to me and it made me very angry. We had to put our first Basset Hound to sleep the week before Haloween 12 years ago. It was so hard because Haloween was her favorite holiday because our house was trick or treat central - all the kids gathered at our house so she got extra attention (plus all the treats she could steal). The very next year we had to put Lucky, our 13.5 year old cat to sleep. She had lymphoma. Both of them were in pain and I believe that euthanasia was the kindest way. We owed them that. We now have 2 Bassets - Boomerang and Petunia and 5 cats - Sweetnin, Kottonkitty, AngelEyez, Rascal and Desire'. They were all the animals that noone else wanted and we love them all - hair, drool, hairballs and all.
Please know that you sisters and your families who have lost those special members of your families are in my prayers. I remembered when Daisy died I read something about that when pets die they cross over a Rainbow Bridge to Hound Dog or Kitty Kat Heaven. I thought that was nice.
So your kitties are in Kitty Kat Heaven with Lucky. She was a good cat, she'll take good care of them.

Wanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2009, 01:43 PM

Wanda, thank you! Your "fur babies" sound wonderful! As a matter of fact, I stumbled upon a website last night that explains the 'Rainbow Bridge'. What a comforting concept!

I feel a little better today, but the tears are still lurking at the surface. Losing Sadie has left a huge void in our lives. (We don't have any other pets.) It's hard to look down at the kitchen floor and not see her food and water bowls where they've stood for 17-1/2 years (we had her 17-1/2 of her 18 years). And the corner in the family room where her bed/basket has been for ages is now empty. My heart just aches. I know time heals all wounds, but this will definitely take a while.

Of course, having gone through surgery 8 weeks ago and having everything removed -- including ovaries -- I'm extremely hormonal and emotional. That's certainly not helping matters. Again, one day at a time...

Thank you -- and all the other Sisters who've responded -- for your care and support. It's a blessing!
Unread 07-17-2009, 02:14 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I was just posting a minute ago that I was remembering when we had to say "good-bye" to our beloved lab, Jake, and although it was 10 yrs ago, it felt like yesterday. I don't know where the memory came from today but it made me so sad. The kindest thing we can do is let them go when it' s time, but it certainly isn't an easy decision. Hugs to you and I hope your wonderful memories bring you comfort in the days and weeks ahead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2009, 05:38 PM

Coming across this post now was just an eeire thing for me.

I had to have my 13yr old cat put down just yesterday afternoon after discovering she had tumours on her lungs 2 weeks ago. When the vet told us that she only had a matter of 2months to live (if that) I was shocked & then concerned that I wouldn't be able to say goodbye when the time came, how would I know when that time was?! Anyway the final decision really wasn't a difficult one as she had fluid on her lungs & was struggling to take each breath, it was heartbreaking to watch her. The vet then said it would be kinder to just let her go.

I think I've been really strong but my 14yr old daughter has taken it quite hard so I put on a brave face for her, though we did shed a tear together last night.

What makes me happy (or at least gets me through) is knowing that we gave 'Sally' a loving, warm and caring home, when so many poor animals are only treated with cruelty.

I have the comfort of knowing she is now in a better place with my other beloved departed cats & dog.

Leesa
Unread 07-17-2009, 06:20 PM

((oclocal))

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear . My goes out to you during this time of sorrow.

:cathugs:
Unread 07-17-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlee70 View Post
Coming across this post now was just an eeire thing for me.

I had to have my 13yr old cat put down just yesterday afternoon after discovering she had tumours on her lungs 2 weeks ago. When the vet told us that she only had a matter of 2months to live (if that) I was shocked & then concerned that I wouldn't be able to say goodbye when the time came, how would I know when that time was?! Anyway the final decision really wasn't a difficult one as she had fluid on her lungs & was struggling to take each breath, it was heartbreaking to watch her. The vet then said it would be kinder to just let her go.

I think I've been really strong but my 14yr old daughter has taken it quite hard so I put on a brave face for her, though we did shed a tear together last night.

What makes me happy (or at least gets me through) is knowing that we gave 'Sally' a loving, warm and caring home, when so many poor animals are only treated with cruelty.

I have the comfort of knowing she is now in a better place with my other beloved departed cats & dog.

Leesa

Oh, Leesa! I am so sorry for your loss! No doubt we're both in the same place. I, too, had long conversations with both my children today (both are grown and on their own) and we all laughed and enjoyed reminiscing about our dear Sadie. You're absolutely right about knowing that we gave these dear, beloved little creatures a long, happy life -- especially when you stop to think about how many are out there suffering. If you get a chance, check out the "Rainbow Bridge". It might bring you some additional comfort. Please know you're in my prayers and you have my complete sympathy and understanding!
Unread 07-17-2009, 08:03 PM

Sometimes planting a bush or small tree in their honor can help with the grieving process. Just something that will forever remind you of the time you had with them and a tribute to what they meant to you. I've also seen some really nice stepping stones with the pet's name on it.
Unread 07-17-2009, 10:30 PM

Thankyou oclocal I had a look at the Rainbow Bridge & it is just lovely. I can imagine all my long lost pets playing together, painfree & happy.

We have decided to have Sally cremated & the company that does it puts your pets ashes into a lovely earthenware vase with a name plate. My son has asked to have the vase in his room as that is where she slept - he has kept her stainless steel kitty bowl also & is using it for bits & pieces which is nice.

I will also include you in my prayers tonight & will think of your Sadie running around with my Sally.

Unread 07-20-2009, 07:54 AM

I'm sending lots and lots of big gentle hugs. I lost a beloved fur baby a few months ago. It was very sudden and unexpected ( she was only 3 years old ).
Having to decide what is best for our beloved pets can be so very hard

Unread 07-20-2009, 08:19 AM

You made the right decision. I know what you are going through, I had to do the same thing for my two beloved Cocker Spaniels. It was hard, but it was even harder to see them in pain.

Did you ever read about the Rainbow Bridge?

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water, and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.

To read the rest, please visit http://www.rainbowbridge.com/Poem.htm.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register