Scheduled TAH PCOS without ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PCOS without ovaries PCOS without ovaries

Unread 07-16-2009, 07:05 PM
PCOS without ovaries

Hey all....Here's a question. I have had PCOS for many years, that creates orange sized ovarian cysts..but also adult acne (im 36), facial hair, moodiness, inability to lose weight (insulin resistant) and horrendous periods. I know obviously the periods will go away after my TAH, but what about the other symptoms? I am really hoping I will be able to stop waxing as often and maybe even lose some weight!! Anyone diagnosed with PCOS and have their other symptoms go away???

Christie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Re: PCOS without ovaries

Hello TF73.....I wish I could tell you yes and everything will work it way out....but no one really knows for sure....once they get your hormones in line....they could go away. Keep on telling your doctor what is going on so they can work with you to get these issues taken care of. Good luck to you!!!!
Unread 07-17-2009, 11:22 AM

Ty Lady63.... I appreciate it...i have pretty much settled on the fact that I need to start over with my nutrition after my TAH on 9/17...so hopefully it will be a smooth transition...

Christie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2009, 02:34 PM

I have PCOS too, but we are leaving the ovaries in.
Once you get your surgery and they get your hormones where they need to be, from everything that I understand, you should feel better.
You need to communicate with your dr really well.
Good luck.

There are a lot of us around Sac area (interesting).
Unread 07-17-2009, 03:15 PM

I would suggest you carefully discuss your questions with a knowledgeable physician, such as an endocrinologist. PCOS is a disorder of the endocrine system and removing the ovaries is not a cure. Ladies with PCOS will still have PCOS following a hysterectomy and oophorectomy. Their hormone needs will be a bit different than those who do not have PCOS.

We do have information in our Resource Database and there are several threads here on the site.

I wish you all the best for your upcoming surgery and recovery!

Unread 07-17-2009, 08:58 PM

Hi (((Christie))),

I also have PCOS, and unfortunately it is not cured by a hysterectomy or by having your ovaries removed. I take metformin and follow a low glycemic diet to keep my insulin under control. I take spironolactone to keep the androgen levels down (elevated testosterone causes the unwanted hair and acne).

I agree that it is very important to see an endocrinologist (at least once) to find out what all of your issues are. PCOS doesn't affect all of us the same way, and the treatment should be tailored to your specific needs.

The good news, is that without my ovaries wreaking havoc, the other symptoms have been much easier to control. But, it does require working with a Dr who is knowledgeable in both PCOS issues and surgical menopause.

and Best Wishes,
Kay
Unread 07-20-2009, 08:06 AM

Thank you ladies...that should make it easier to transistion for me..i have a thyroid disorder called Hashimotos (both hypo and hyperthyroid) so im already under the direction of an Endo...but its interesting that we have NEVER spoken of my PCOS..that was only discussed with my OB....weird!!

I so appreciate your imput...it is helping me get my expectations in order....

christie
Unread 07-22-2009, 03:55 PM

Hi Christie,

I discussed my PCOS in detail with my doctor and we decided that the best option for me was to remove the ovaries during my TAH. This will atleast eliminate some of the annoying side affects from my PCOS. My doctor was a wealth of information and I felt much better about my decision after talking in detail with him.
Unread 07-25-2009, 12:15 AM

I have PCOS too and am having my ovaries taken with everything else on August 10th. I know that it is not a cure for PCOS, I think a lot of it is hormonal as well as having a lot to do with Insulin Resistance. I haven't been following a specific diet per se, but I try to be conscious of my calorie intake as well as matching protein & carbohydrates (like what they talk about in the Insulin Resistance Diet book), and that seems to work. I am not on any medications, but I take Cinnamon and Chromium Piconilate. If you decide to go that natural route, please discuss it with your doctor first...it's important that they guide you on that.

Good luck to you!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register