Perineal pain worse than my incisional pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Perineal pain worse than my incisional pain Perineal pain worse than my incisional pain

Unread 09-06-2001, 10:02 PM
Perineal pain worse than my incisional pain

I am 10 days postop (TAH and rectocele repair) and surprised that my abdominal incisional pain is going away faster than the pain from my rectocele repair. He told he me "cut on both sides of the vagina, like an episiotomy" (which I've never had as I had 2 Cesections) and went through my vagina to repair the rectocele. Has anyone else had this experience? Any suggestions to help besides sitting on a soft pillow and using ice?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2001, 10:47 PM

I'm sorry I don't have any first hand experience with what you are going through and also am sorry that you are in such discomfort. I remember after my sister gave birth to her daughter, she partially 'tore' and needed an extensive episiotomy. The doctor told her to buy a product called Dermoplast. It is an over the counter spray with an analgesic in it and the doctor said it would help hemmorhoids as well. Call your doctor and see if he would allow you to use that or something similar.

Hoping you feel better soon...........

Rita
Unread 09-07-2001, 10:30 AM

Hi Jeanu, this is not exactly the same, but I would imagine the pain to be similar. I had a LEEP done 2 mos. before my hyster, and at the same time I had a vulvar lesion excised. I was scheduled for same day surgery, but my GYN told me to be prepared to stay overnight for pain management from the excision.

As it was, I was able to go home the same day as LEEP and excision, but boy...the pain was really something else! I had Percocets and my Dr. prescribed a topical novacaine jelly to put where the lesion was excised. The topical anesthetic was just about the only thing that gave me relief, along with sitz baths (Drs. orders) 4 - 6 times/day.

It remained extremely painful until day 8...then suddenly the pain was gone. "It's a miracle!" I joked to my husband. The pain from the hyster was nothing to laugh about, but it wasn't constant. The pain from where the lesion was excised was just a continuous, burning feeling.

If you haven't already, call your Dr. and ask his/her advice. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2001, 11:53 AM

Hi Jeanu,

I also had a rectocele repair, as well as a cystocele. But my hyst was vaginal, not abdominal so I can't compare the A & P pain to the hyst pain. I am 15 days post-op and still having some discomfort from the repairs. My doctor told me to use warm water - so I wonder if the ice might be making it worse?

2 days after surgery my daughter bought me a donut pillow, which has helped some. Maybe that would be better than the soft pillow you've been using?

At my 2-week check-up yesterday I asked my doctor exactly how she had done the rectocele and cystocele repair work and she said she had made incisions, cut out the excess tissue and then sewed it all back up again. No wonder it's painful, but each day it does get a little bit better.

Hoping you feel better soon.
Unread 09-09-2001, 09:25 AM

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT ADVICE!!!
Unread 09-09-2001, 01:56 PM

Try using "TUCKS". They are actually for hemorroid discomfort but worked miracles on my episiotomy when I had my daughter. You can get them at the drug store. Just TUCK one in place and leave it there for a few hours.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register