Infection/back pain sends me back to castle | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Infection/back pain sends me back to castle Infection/back pain sends me back to castle

Unread 07-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Infection/back pain sends me back to castle

I had a TAH-BSO on 7/7 and was released on 7/9 feeling great. On 7/10 I started getting some pain in my lower back which I dismissed as being from the surgery. On Saturday the 11th I felt ok, but the back pain made it difficult to get comfortable.

I had dinner and went to bed around 11:00. By 12 midnight I was in incredible pain, which felt like gas pain. I believe that pain came from something I ate. I was up all night walking and writhing in pain, and it wasn't until 9:00 and two calls to my gyn oncol surgeon (she said it jsut had to work through) it finally started passing.

I was pretty drained and very uncomfortable with the back pain and pretty much stayed in bed all day. By 6:00 PM I had a fever of 101.4 and was sent back to the hospital.

After giving me morphine my blood pressure came down too low and they pumped me with fluids to bring it back up. I was actually quite dehydrated since I hadnt been drinking water all day.

My white count was very high at 27 (11 is normal) and a CT scan showed multiple pools of infected 'fluid' in my pelvic area, the cause for the back pain.

They admitted me and put me on antibiotics (I am allergc to penicillan so they chose Leviquin and Flagyl. I was in the hospital for two days when the doctor did what they later referred to as a 'therapeutic ' exam in which she wiggled a opening in between stitches (in the vaginal cuff) to allow for drainage.

I was told not to be alarmed if fluid came out as that's the best thing that could happen.

Wednesday noon I was waiting for the doctor and team to visit and all at once I started feeling what I can only describe as 'my water breaking'. My sister called it my 'watershed' moment.

Thankfully the doctors arrived as it was happening and confirmed it was the infection draining. It was pretty gross but so relieving.

I immediately felt relief of my back pain and at that point stopped having fevers. My white count was down to 10 by Thursday morning.

I was sent home with the antibiotics and am hoping that this is the end of it.

Thought this might be helpful to someone.

All the best to you all,
Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Re: Infection/back pain sends me back to castle

(((Sue)))

I'm so sorry. I hope you're feeling better and on the road to a full recovery. Please let us know how you're doing!

Deb
Unread 07-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Re: Infection/back pain sends me back to castle

Hi thanks for the good thoughts. I made a mistake and said 'BSO' but still have my ovaries!

I am doing well so far. I am still draining slightly and was told that as long as there is something to drain it will drain (the cuff will not close up completely until there's no more drainage.

The wound is healing just fine and the staples came out yesterday. Because I was starting to feel some familiar 'infection pain' they ran a CBC and my white count came back 7.5 which is great. I take my last does of antibiotics today.

I was told that the pool of infectious fluids that drained should not recur since they were caused by the surgical event and have for the most part drained.

I actually am battling the runs now likely due to the 10-days of Flagyl. Doing the yogurt and rice thing for now. Should get better once I am off the Flagyl.

I am just hoping and praying that this is the end of it. Were it not for the infection, this would have been surprisingly easy!

S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register