Your most embarassing menorraghia (heavy bleeding) story..! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Your most embarassing menorraghia (heavy bleeding) story..! Your most embarassing menorraghia (heavy bleeding) story..!

Unread 07-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Your most embarassing menorraghia (heavy bleeding) story..!

Now that I am post-op almost seven weeks, I am looking back and thinking how awesome it is going to be to not have to rule my months by that ONE WEEK where I lterally couldn't leave my house because I was bleeding so heavily! Thank God that in the last twelve years I have been working from home, and I could schedule my client visits around these days. These periods, in addition to my huge and growing blood-sucking fibroids, caused me to be severely anemic and experience diminished organ function like my kidneys, bladder and intestines..

I do have three or four incidents that stick out, and I still feel just as mortified as I do the day that it happened. For example, the latest incident I can remember was late last year. I was so busy that I decided to carefully venture out to see a client on the second day of my period.. BIG MISTAKE!.. I got to the client's home and changed myself upon arrival and again upon leaving an hour later. Feeling somewhat confident, I decided to stop at the supermarket to pick up a few things on the way home. ANOTHER BIG MISTAKE!..

Oh, yes, and I'm wearing khaki pants (What Was I Thinking!!??) So I'm at the deli counter ordering cold cuts. Every time I walk up to the counter to pick up part of my order and I turn around to put it in my basket, I notice an older gentleman looking at me with a sympathetic face. I think to myself.. "how odd the look on that man's face.." The second time I turn around, I see him looking at me with the same expression.. Again, I think how strange.

So, I finish, walk around the rest of the store and pick up a few things. When I'm checking out is when I get that AHA moment and I cringe. I feel the back of my pants and all I can feel is a HUGE wet spot around the seat. I was MORTIFIED!! I didn't know how the heck I was going to get out of there. Well, all I could do was put my (thankfully) large purse behind me as I walked out. It may have looked strange, but at that point I preferred that people stare at me for walking while holding my purse behind me rather than the huge red (i'm talking 10 inches in diameter) spot on my khaki pants. I literally drove home with my butt suspended in the air so I couldn't ruin my car seat.. uggghhh. Thank God that those days are over!

TAH BSO 6/03/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Re: Your most embarassing menorraghia (heavy bleeding) story..!

Sorry it's long...but felt good to share!!
I always had a towel in my car "just in case"-blanket for chilly daughter, to wipe up spills, etc. It became a "prevent a stain on the seat" towel instead.
And I loved the Always pads with the plastic type cover...very good at wicking away the liquids even if it didn't absorb the clots. The problem became when they stopped making them!! I did finally find a substitute-CVS brand-but they weren't as good.
My most mortifying moment was Thanksgiving Eve. I sing with a church choir at an ecumenical service at a historic church without a bathroom. I was wearing an incontenance pad (for the first time), hoping it would absorb my heavy bleeding. Well, the problem was I felt the flow and a clot. I did have on dark pants, but didn't want to leave a mark on the seat. I went out to my van and climbed in the back to change the pad. I had my pants down, pad off panties, when I leaned on my keyring...specifically the "panic" button. I didn't know how to turn it off, so I leaned over, stuck the keys in the ignition, and turned the accessories on, which turned off the alarm. But the problem was the older couple crossing in front of the car to go in the church!! I'm sure they wondered what was going on...me naked from the waist down! I don't know quite how much they saw, but I can be happy they weren't choir members!
The only other time it was a problem was one Thursday night at choir. I hadn't had any bleeding that day. We were chatting after practicing, when I laughed. And felt a small gush. I thought it would be OK, but then I felt another. I hurredly got up to cross the room to the bathroom, when I felt something running down my leg. I completely filled the pad, soaked my left pant leg, and made a mess all over. I cleaned up the floor, cleaned the front of the toilet. Of course I had left my purse in the car (duh...never be without spares!!) I called to my sister to bring over my choir folder, and out of earshot of the others let her know I had flooded and didn't want to cross the room just in case the flooding wasn't over. The only good thing was I was wearing black jeans, so you couldn't see the mess...but the wet & cold feeling was awful. I did have the towel, and protected the seat. WHen I got home, I let my husband know I was home and taking a shower. When I joined him he asked what happened. I started to cry telling him about it. He was as understanding as he could be. I was already seeing a doctor about it, but we were at the "control with hormones" stage...HA!
And once I left a small spot on my husband's beige car seat...but Resolve fixed that one! Phew!
Unread 07-21-2009, 10:45 AM

I was driving home from a job interview and started to flow and I did not have a pad on. So I was in this lane and went to try and pull around some old folk and of course incoming traffic was a cop! LOL so she pulls me over and I was totally honest with her. I was speeding because I was starting my flow and about to soak my car seat. She did not give me a ticket! Yeah!!Thank goodness it was a female cop....

PS I, too, got very mad at Always for switching to some non absorbent material for their pads, I even wrote them a nasty letter. DriWeave was the BOMB!!! I'd been using that product for almost 20 years!!! That's when I knew....might as well get surgery LOL. When you soak through 2 super tampons and 2 super overnight pads in an hour, it's basically time to plan your surgery.

I will say that for me Seasonale did an decent job of control for the past year but the breakthrough bleeding, especially during sex, was still miserable, but to not have to deal with the massive tidal wave from below was a good thing. I have a job where I have to wear white.....so you can figure out that it was not good. And try to explain why you can't wear white not just for 1 day but for weeks.

The other reaon I chose surgery is because the day my sister passed away I started my flow and trying to make it to the hospital from several states away, yet having to stop every other rest area to deal with the flow. I was so mad and so sad that I knew I could never deal with it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2009, 11:57 AM

Not the most embarrasing, but my most frustrating times were the first time I bled so much that I had to leave my son's track meet because I was going to the bathroom every 10-15 minutes and was running out of pads. And then the time I had to take a cab home from work for the same reason - couldn't take the chance on a hour train ride.

I sit here now in tears so thankful that I don't have to ever go through that again
Unread 07-21-2009, 01:54 PM

I started my period on 2 August of last year; I was a week early, and I just KNEW that this was the harbinger of doom.

And I was right. I bled for the next 6 weeks...by the sixth week, the bleeding was accelerating.

DH and I were on the way back from a holiday in Michigan. We made good time back to Chicago, but just a few miles away from home, we got stuck in a bad traffic jam. But we perservered and made it home. I got out of the car, and the floodgates opened, and there was blood everywhere. I had told my husband, of course, about the bleeding problems I was having, but he had never actually SEEN it until then. I ran into the bathroom as he was taking my bloody clothes downstairs to throw into the laundry. I was shocked, of course, but it was really interesting to see his reaction. He just had not realized how bad it had been for me.

I called the next morning for a doctors appointment, and I was able to see the doc within a couple of days. But one night before the appt, I had this dream where I passed a bloody clot in the form of a human brain. When I woke up, I knew that I had a serious problem on my hands because I dreamt that I was literally losing my mind! LOL!

I had a hysterectomy within 6 weeks, and now I don't have to think about that sort of stuff EVER AGAIN!

Oh...on 31 October last year, I was scheduled to volunteer at our local hospital as a sub for another volunteer; we work in the family surgical waiting room which happens to be right in front of the pre-op consultation room. Since I was going to be there anyway, I had scheduled my own pre-op appt on that same day (my surgery was to be 4 Nov). Well, as I was volunteering, I could feel myself starting to bleed, and by the time I got to the bathroom, I needed another pad. I was really upset, and the other women in the ladies room called a volunteer to wheel me back to my desk. In the meantime, my pre op appt was moved up to accomodate me. I dunno...here I was in my volunteer outfit being wheeled about by another volunteer through a mass of patients waiting for their own surgery...it was just weird and embarrassing. I hate being the center of attention.
Unread 07-21-2009, 02:49 PM

Once about 12 years ago (yes I have been heavy for a looong time) when I was still working in an office, I got my flow during the workday. I was so busy at my desk on the phone that I didn't notice and when I stood up... well!

My seat had a huuuge red bloody spot that encompassed the entire upholstered work chair. Thank God I had dark pants on but it was so embarassing to have to bring this to the attention of my boss (female thank God) so we could inconspicuously wheel it out of one of these huge offices that have no partitions. Needless to say, they must have had to discard the chair. I headed for my car without another word to the boss; she didn't have to guess what I was doing..
Unread 07-26-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMcF3 View Post
Sorry it's long...but felt good to share!!
I always had a towel in my car "just in case"-blanket for chilly daughter, to wipe up spills, etc. It became a "prevent a stain on the seat" towel instead.
And I loved the Always pads with the plastic type cover...very good at wicking away the liquids even if it didn't absorb the clots. The problem became when they stopped making them!! I did finally find a substitute-CVS brand-but they weren't as good.
My most mortifying moment was Thanksgiving Eve. I sing with a church choir at an ecumenical service at a historic church without a bathroom. I was wearing an incontenance pad (for the first time), hoping it would absorb my heavy bleeding. Well, the problem was I felt the flow and a clot. I did have on dark pants, but didn't want to leave a mark on the seat. I went out to my van and climbed in the back to change the pad. I had my pants down, pad off panties, when I leaned on my keyring...specifically the "panic" button. I didn't know how to turn it off, so I leaned over, stuck the keys in the ignition, and turned the accessories on, which turned off the alarm. But the problem was the older couple crossing in front of the car to go in the church!! I'm sure they wondered what was going on...me naked from the waist down! I don't know quite how much they saw, but I can be happy they weren't choir members!
The only other time it was a problem was one Thursday night at choir. I hadn't had any bleeding that day. We were chatting after practicing, when I laughed. And felt a small gush. I thought it would be OK, but then I felt another. I hurredly got up to cross the room to the bathroom, when I felt something running down my leg. I completely filled the pad, soaked my left pant leg, and made a mess all over. I cleaned up the floor, cleaned the front of the toilet. Of course I had left my purse in the car (duh...never be without spares!!) I called to my sister to bring over my choir folder, and out of earshot of the others let her know I had flooded and didn't want to cross the room just in case the flooding wasn't over. The only good thing was I was wearing black jeans, so you couldn't see the mess...but the wet & cold feeling was awful. I did have the towel, and protected the seat. WHen I got home, I let my husband know I was home and taking a shower. When I joined him he asked what happened. I started to cry telling him about it. He was as understanding as he could be. I was already seeing a doctor about it, but we were at the "control with hormones" stage...HA!
And once I left a small spot on my husband's beige car seat...but Resolve fixed that one! Phew!
You had me in stitches!!!! (no pun intended lol).. I could just imagine your face when the panic alarm went off!! I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who had these issues. I remember at one point in the year before my TAH where I literally couldn't step out of the shower without making a mess everywhere!
Keep 'em coming! We all need to remember why we did this!
Unread 07-27-2009, 11:38 PM

AAAHHHH!!!! That is always my biggest nightmare, that I will have a leak in public! I am so sorry that happened to you!

I always have tons of tampons and pads in my purse just in case. Since I never know when I am going to bleed. I also always wear a pad out to the store, movies so on, just in case. I am so glad it will no longer be an issue in 20 days!!!!!
Unread 07-28-2009, 05:26 AM

Last week, two weeks after my TAH, I cleaned out all my purses, cupboards, bathroomcabinets, pockets of all coats of tampons and pads. All over the house I found some. I collected a big bag and I will donate it to a charity. I just left a couple 'in case of'

So glad I will never ever experience the frustration and the embarassment of leaking again!
I have so many embarassing stories...... I wonder how I have coped with it for so many years.

The worst was on a big festive formal event of my work, where as a member of the board, I was obliged to mix and mingle and be social. This was in the beginning years of my bleeding years, so I happily wore white linen pants. HA! At one moment one of my co-workers came up to me, asking me if I knew I was leaking? It was horrible: blood was dripping down my legs and my white pants were not quite white anymore.....
Since that experience I have only worn black pants and skirts to formal affairs. My boss (male) asked me once if I could dress up what less gloomy and wear something brighter. I have not explained it all to him. I just told him I felt more comfortable in black....
Unread 07-28-2009, 10:37 AM

In regards to throwing away all my extra pads and tampons, I'm just saving them for my 13 yr old daughter, who soon will have to cope with this monthly task. I hope and pray that it never is tantamount to what I used to experience. Maybe I should also hang on to the super-super-duper Overnight pads that look like mattresses just in case..!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register