Clothes, clothes, clothes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Clothes, clothes, clothes Clothes, clothes, clothes

Unread 07-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Clothes, clothes, clothes

Okay ladies. I need to figure out what kind of clothes I should plan on wearing after my surgery. I am getting the bikini line incision and want to make sure I'm picking comfortable stuff. I'm hearing lots of women talk about how swollen they were, so do I need to buy some stuff that is one size larger than I normally wear? Also, how long was it before you were able to start wearing your normal clothes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Re: Clothes, clothes, clothes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agua View Post
Okay ladies. I need to figure out what kind of clothes I should plan on wearing after my surgery. I am getting the bikini line incision and want to make sure I'm picking comfortable stuff. I'm hearing lots of women talk about how swollen they were, so do I need to buy some stuff that is one size larger than I normally wear? Also, how long was it before you were able to start wearing your normal clothes?
Hello Agua - I am 4 weeks and 4 days post-op from a TAH, bikini cut. I still could not wear my regular clothes. I stay home wearing my pjs (the drawstring waistband kind) as I could not bear wearing bottoms with elasticized waistbands, I still have swelly belly. I sent DH to buy me larger panties and I am still wearing granny cotton undies by Haynes high waisted 2 sizes larger from my regular size. I have not been outside of the house since I prefer not to drive, I insist to wait after my 6 weeks post-op. My swelly belly is still here and it gets worse towards the afternoon / evening. This past Sunday, DH bought me add'l bottoms (so I guess I don't be wearing pjs all day... ha-ha), those drawstring capris, shorts; you don't need to buy the expensive ones, just something that you could lounge around the house. They are of sweatshirt material and so comfy! Some of our sisters here also like wearing those big t-shirt type sleep shirts, there are a lot of cute ones at Target. I also received my Abdominal binders yesterday, I wear this during the day (have it on now while I type).

Anyway, I hope this helps, there are a lot of write-ups on what are sisters wear post-op, explore the site and read them. Take care!

Sharon
Unread 07-21-2009, 05:42 PM

I got an XXL dress (read: rag) from Wal-Mart for $15. It's uglier than all get-out, but, it will expand to an XXXXL if need be. It also appears to be suitable for use as a parachute, night shirt, dust mop, curtain, dog blanket, tent, and if you tie the top, a ghost costume for Halloween. I also got an 2 extra long men's t-shirt in a beautiful dark blue that will serve as a night shirt, and paired with a belt, also a dress. It too could serve as a tent or parachute. I think it cost $5.00.

I'm not planning to have a swelly belly either from surgery or fat for too long afterwards, so I'm not going all out with a new wardrobe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2009, 06:41 PM

I'm about 5 weeks post-op now, and I spent the majority of the first few weeks wearing my husband's shorts - the kind with the elastic or drawstring waist and t-shirts. I also bought a couple of sundresses from Target - they're empire waisted, so not at all constricting in the waist. Other than that, I've been able to wear my usual clothing (although, to be fair, they've been my "fat" clothes - the ones that are a size larger than I normally wear) since week 2. I still have a poochy belly, but I know it'll go away over time.

I also had my husband buy some hanes her way panties - granny panties all the way! I have, within the last week, been wearing some of my cotton Victorias Secret low-rise bikinis, but I have to be careful with the way I wear them so they don't rub on my incision. Also, I only wear the dark colored pairs, because I'm still bleeding (some days heavier than others), and I don't want to ruin the few pair of light colored nice underpants that I haven't already messed up.

Hope this helps! Good luck to you.
Unread 07-21-2009, 08:13 PM

Hey, Syster, I'm two weeks out and can wear everything I had worn before surgery because my fibroid had my tummy so big I was wearing biggggggg clothes before. Even with swelly belly, I'm fitting in my stuff better than I was before and I'm more than a little overweight.

I wear my shorts, jeans, jammies and nightgowns that I had previous. Soo, it is always a possibility things might not be as puffy as you think.

Good luck to you.

Oh, I did get one 2X duster (the kind our grandmothers used to wear as house dresses that snap up the front) to hang out in in case I was needing something in the parachute realm.
Unread 07-21-2009, 08:54 PM

Hi Agua, and

I didn't buy anything in larger sizes, but I did get some lounge pants with drawstrings. I didn't have any abdominal incisions so elastic was comfortable as well, but drawstrings could be comfortably adjusted when I swelled later in the day.

Unread 07-21-2009, 10:04 PM

I just stayed in my pj's....tank top and pj bottoms. I had the bikini cut. My husbands boxer shorts worked wonders.
Unread 07-21-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agua View Post
Pajama pants/tops. I have found that most are like t-shirts and capris...or you can wear the bottoms with wife-beater shirts and are quite comfy in a size (or in my case 2 sizes) larger. Not only are they good when I go for a walk...but they also remind me and everyone else that I'm a recovering princess.

For clothing in a setting requiring something more refined than pj's or sweats...I suggest nice loose fitting dresses (sun dresses are wonderful); maternity pants are FANTASTIC, and anything with a drawstring (where you are in control of how much contact and pressure is on your tummy.) I've found that I want NOTHING on my belly at almost 2 weeks post-op. It's a bit itchy right now, and annoyingly sore (but not at all painful so to speak). I'm not in normal clothes yet. I can't wait to get in them, however.

Best of luck to you!!
Unread 07-22-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskapsych View Post
Hey, Syster, I'm two weeks out and can wear everything I had worn before surgery because my fibroid had my tummy so big I was wearing biggggggg clothes before. Even with swelly belly, I'm fitting in my stuff better than I was before and I'm more than a little overweight.

I wear my shorts, jeans, jammies and nightgowns that I had previous. Soo, it is always a possibility things might not be as puffy as you think.

Good luck to you.
That's the same thing with me. I started wearing my regular clothes a week out. I'm not overweight, but I did have very large fibroids. I'm more comfortable in jeans that zip up the front than elastic waistbands, though, because although I'm careful about pulling pants up, I'm still very scared I'll let go at the wrong time. I did wear sundresses for the first few days, though.
Unread 07-22-2009, 10:24 AM

Loose fitting all the way. I went out and bought two pair of pj's. Each one of them came with a top, bottom and set of shorts. This way I could dress according to weather and hotflashes. LOL. I also bought some of those yoga pants. They are loose fitting and have a drawstring waist and this is what I wore out. I didn't really care much about my looks. I was recovering and needed to be comfy.

Another word of advice. Carry a small pillow with you until your incision starts to heal. You can put this between you and the world. It is good to put between you and a seatbelt, you and other children, you and animals. This way it protects your belly a bit from being bumped around.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register