My last pap came back clean - another hurdle conquered ! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My last pap came back clean - another hurdle conquered ! My last pap came back clean - another hurdle conquered !

Unread 07-22-2009, 02:24 PM
My last pap came back clean - another hurdle conquered !

I just got the results of my exam 2 weeks ago. It came in the mail the way they used to come. All clear, no abnormalities!

I was surprised that I didn't even worry about this last check until the night before (when I turned into an insomniac for the night) but the tension faded pretty quickly.

I've been busy but also fretted about a whole bunch of other tests in the last couple of months - physical, flu, mammogram, xrays and mri for my knee (which started hurting after the surgery and kept getting worse, I guess posing like a frog for 3 hours wasn't ideal) and of course the dreaded colonoscopy. All I needed from all that was some pt for my knee.

My next exam will be my 1 year "hysterversary". We are planning for continued good followups. My Gyn mentioned switching me to annuals only after November, but I think I'm going to push for at least another in 6 months at least for another year. I'm planning on checking in with the gyn/onc surgeon to make sure, but the two seem to work closely. I was stage 1b, but the invasion was only 5%.

Has anyone else gone to annuals this quickly?

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you guys and I hope everyone else has good results for their next followup too. And also to let our newbies know that the good place is on the horizon. You all said it would get easier and better, and it is!

I'm going bike riding (i work at home and i can escape) its good for my knee!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Re: My last pap came back clean - another hurdle conquered !

Hooray for the good report!!

monami
Unread 07-22-2009, 08:32 PM

That's AWESOME to have that kind of result!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2009, 07:36 AM

Awsome news!!! now you can kick back and enjoy yourself!
Unread 07-23-2009, 09:24 AM

Congratulations on your good report! Although my path report classified my cancer only as stage 1, I think it was 1a, as there was no invasion mentioned. The D&C biopsy graded the tumor at 2, but after the hysterectomy, they downgraded the tumor to 1-2.

I am seeing only my gyn/onc now. All of my checkups so far have been fine. At my first annual checkup, my gyn/onc said he did not need to see me for another year. He said this was because my cancer was caught so early and my chance of recurrence is 1%. Before my surgery, he had told me he would be seeing me at intervals for the first couple of years.

Of course, if I experience anything unusual, I will be on the phone to him right away. Let's hope that both of us do not have to go back sooner.
Unread 07-26-2009, 03:03 PM

It was so wonderful to read your news! Congratulations! I was just diagnosed with stage 1c ovarian cancer and begin chemo on Tuesday. I love reading positive stories like yours, they lift my spirits!
Unread 07-26-2009, 06:41 PM

Hi, congratulations on the great pap results, may they continue.
My gyn changed my appointments to every 4 months during year two and then to twice a year for years 3 - 5. As I understand with endometrial cancer, usually if there is a recurrence it is within the first two years. You might ask you gyn why the change to only once a year and perhaps would feel more reassured if you have a least twice a year check-ups as you are thinking,
Unread 07-27-2009, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the replies! It's such a yoyo thing, moving on, and then going back to be checked. Balancing optimism and confidence with vigilance can be a bit stressful, even if I don't engage or even recognize it!

Gracianna, Good luck with the Chemo tomorrow. Hopefully it's more for insurance than anything else. I have read that stage 1 for Ovarian is very treatable/curable - the problem being that it's just so much harder to catch in stage 1 than Endometrial. Thanks for letting me know that my report lifted your spirits - Sometimes I feel guilty that my results are good and others are harder. But I'm new enough to this that I remember in the beginning that it was important to see the positive posts here, and that my Drs. weren't just telling me tales about what to do.

Regarding the frequency of visits, it seems like either they tell you its going to be a lot in the beginning, or latest recommendations call for moving to less frequent visits sooner, or maybe its an insurance deal. It's good to hear that your plan is going similarly to mine, Bookworm.

My plan from now until November is no Dr visits, getting enough rest, getting more exercise, doing less stress eating, and listening to my body, but not letting it boss me around!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register