Anybody go in with Complex Hyperplasia without Atypia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody go in with Complex Hyperplasia without Atypia? Anybody go in with Complex Hyperplasia without Atypia?

Unread 07-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Anybody go in with Complex Hyperplasia without Atypia?

I had a endometrial biopsy on 6/17/09 which came back with endo polyps and complex hyperplasia. I'm scheduled for a LSH/bso which is a scary thought to me. I'm afraid that there will be either atypia or cancerous cells that will be released into my body. My doctor "assures" me that chances of me having either one is 1 out of a 1000.

So I was wondering if any fellow hyster sisters went in with this dx and found out later they had cancer? And if so, did anyone have their uterus cut up for removal and if so what was the outcome?

Thanks so much for listening!
Dana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Re: Anybody go in with Complex Hyperplasia without Atypia?

Dana2009 -

This is all so scarey when you get that diagnosis. I ended up w/ complex hyperplasia with atypia after my hyster for a cancer dx (a D&C found a tumor and actually got all of it).

If you are concerned about how this surgery will be done and that possibly you might end up with cancer cells release from dissecting your uterus you absolutely owe it to yourself to get a second opinion.

There are many sisters here who went in without a cancer dx and got one after the hyster. I don't want to be alarmist but the endo biopsy could have been in a spot where no cancer was located that's why most Drs believe a D&C is the "gold" standard but even there sometimes it's missed.

You are right to ask questions, I'd ask the Dr why he / she is so certain there won't be issues.

Sending

G.
Unread 07-27-2009, 07:25 PM

I have to agree with the above. I would absolutely get a second opinion. If I may ask why wouldn't you have a total?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2009, 08:51 PM

He suggested a supracervical because of pelvic support and he also said that a total would involve cutting through a bigger blood vessel and nerves. The more I think about it though the more I believe I want to go with the LAVH so that my uterus will come out in tact. My husband and I've have discussed this at length this evening and we have both decided that we want to go that route. Now if I can just get cooperation out of my dr's office and the insurance company.

I don't know if I'll be able to get into see another gyn at this late date (I have a limited amount of time before the boss takes off for his vacation and fall hunting trips so I have to have this surgery within the next couple of weeks) but I'm going to try and get an appt with my regular doctor for a blood pressure check and a "chat" with her.

The battle with the insurance company is another whole chapter!

Thanks for the advice!

Dana
Unread 07-27-2009, 09:22 PM

Dana -

Don't think you don't have time for a 2nd opinion, I had 21 days from diagnosis to surgery.

You might want to come to the pre-op chat on Thursday and see if there is additional information that might help you make a very informed decision.

Sending you

G.
Unread 07-27-2009, 09:25 PM

Thanks so much!
Unread 07-27-2009, 10:09 PM

Dana, I had the same diagnosis as you after my endimetriol biopsy. I had the da Vinci hysterectomy in early May. They also took everything and I am now on an estrogen patch. I am in my mid 40's. They found a "suspicious" spot on my uterus. I found this out after my surgery. It was tested and it was probably the beginning of something but not cancer yet. I absolutely did the right thing. They took everything out vaginally and whole. Nothing was cut up and so she was able to dissect it all once out..for lack of a better explanation. My dr assured me because it wasnt sliced inside me it wouldnt let the cells spread. I hope all this makes some sense to you. No regrets. Happy to have done it and feel so much better about everything. Your date to the castle is fast approaching. I hope you get all of your concerns answered before then. I wish you well.
Unread 07-27-2009, 10:28 PM

Thanks cheesey for telling me your story. It has reassured me that changing from an LSH to a LAVH is the right decision. I'll let you all know what they have to say when I call and request this change!

Thanks again sisters!
Dana
Unread 07-27-2009, 10:36 PM

You are welcome. Be sure it is what YOU are comfortable with. Everybody is different. I was so confused about the "without" atypia part. Everywhere I googled it was about having hyperplasia with it. It was hard to find somebody in our shoes. I think you will do great. Hang in there. Not much longer. (hugs)
Unread 07-28-2009, 06:57 AM

Dana,

Please do be sure to take the time to investigate all of your options and to get all of your questions answered before making your decision. I admire your dedication and concern for your boss' schedule but this is the time to make your health your #1 priority. Best wishes to you and please keep us posted on what is going on with you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register