6.5 months post op/ pain and bleeding | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6.5 months post op/ pain and bleeding 6.5 months post op/ pain and bleeding

Unread 07-28-2009, 12:10 AM
6.5 months post op/ pain and bleeding

Hi ladies,

It's been awhile since I posted. My husband had surgery 2 weeks after my hysterectomy and life has this way of getting in the way lol

I have a question to put to you gals that may have experienced anything similar. I do have an appointment set up for the 6th of August (my dr. was on vacation all July) but I'd like to prepare myself possibly.

I had a vaginal hyst January 14th, so I'm almost 7 months post op. I healed quickly and wonderfully according to my doctors, although I had some issues with a heavy feeling in my lower pelvis as early as a month after the surgery.

I still have that. Passing gas is painful, and a lot of times BMs are too. They are normal in consistency, and I'm not constipated, so they shouldn't hurt. And it only hurts in the area right before it comes out (sorry, TMI). I also just feel very full down there, for peeing and everything. I can feel it when I walk sometimes and if I sit, I feel like Im sitting on something. If I sit down hard, it can feel like a knife being jabbed up my pelvis. It's also pretty tender to press my fingers into my lower abdomen...

Also, sex is painful. It's painful when he hits the cervix. It feels sore and uncomfortable everywhere else. In the last couple months, I've begun to bleed during sex (a lot) but then it goes away and I might have a trace of blood when I wipe the next day. This last time was the first time I cramped afterward. Needless to say, we don't have sex often

So, the bleeding made me think granulation, but the other things make me wonder if it's not something else. Prolapse?

Has anyone had these symptoms/experiences? I'm very interested in what the diagnosis was, just so that I can feel prepared for whatever might be the issue, and I can press it if they want to dismiss any of my concerns.

thank you!

Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Re: 6.5 months post op/ pain and bleeding

Hi Lynn

I had a vaginal hysterectomy just a few weeks before you did. Some of what you describe matches my own experiences.

I sometimes have a feeling of heaviness, which I also assume to be swelling. I'm moving offices at work, so I've been doing a lot of bending and lifting, and that always seems to trigger this feeling. When I take ibuprofen, it helps.

I have horrible gas pains on occasion, too--and it's usually at its worst when I have the swelling. The other night, in fact, I had to dip into my leftover pain meds because the gas was so painful. (It didn't help until I took ibuprofen to reduce the swelling.) The pain was so bad that it kept me up for hours and had me in tears.

I don't have any experiences with the sharp pains or the bleeding after sex (although sex makes me feel swollen).

While I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble, I'm somewhat relieved to know I'm not alone.

I hope your appointment goes well and that you come back and let us know how it goes.

Unread 07-28-2009, 06:22 PM

Thanks for your reply Chris. I'm not sure that I would classify it as swelling, since it is all internal and it is painful and sore, but what do I know lol

It's something else to consider anyway. I called today to see if I could get in any earlier, but apparently the 6th is the first day my doctor is back. Grin and bear it till then I hope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2009, 06:31 PM

Hi Lynn,

Not sure what is causing your fullness and bleeding; but I hope your doctor can shed more light. It must be frustrating this far out from surgery to still be experiencing some 'hiccups' in your recovery journey.

I wish you luck -- just wanted to give a hug and say "hang in there!"

Chrys
Unread 08-10-2009, 07:08 PM

I had my hyster in March...didnt really notice any symptoms until three months out...and I ended up in the hospital with a tubo/ovarian abscess that stemmed from an unhealed place in the vaginal cuff. I felt that fullness and when i would sit down it would seem as if I had a knife up my area...TMI I know.

However, I now wish they had removed the tube and ovary on the right when they done the hyster.

But I still have some bleeding and pain after sex.
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hupp42 View Post
I had my hyster in March...didnt really notice any symptoms until three months out...and I ended up in the hospital with a tubo/ovarian abscess that stemmed from an unhealed place in the vaginal cuff. I felt that fullness and when i would sit down it would seem as if I had a knife up my area...TMI I know.

However, I now wish they had removed the tube and ovary on the right when they done the hyster.

But I still have some bleeding and pain after sex.
Turns out I had a fallopian tube prolapse. It's hanging half out of the vaginal cuff. So I'm now going back in on the 21st to get the cuff redone and the tube(s) removed. She's thinking she can do it vaginally, but may bring out the lap just to assist. I'm kinda hoping she does do it partially laprascopicly just to make sure there are no other issues causing problems. I'd like to be done with surgery!
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadnickel View Post
Turns out I had a fallopian tube prolapse. It's hanging half out of the vaginal cuff. So I'm now going back in on the 21st to get the cuff redone and the tube(s) removed. She's thinking she can do it vaginally, but may bring out the lap just to assist. I'm kinda hoping she does do it partially laprascopicly just to make sure there are no other issues causing problems. I'd like to be done with surgery!
I'm so sorry to hear that you've had this added complication! Now you know what was causing the problems, what will the recovery period be according to your doctor? Keep us posted as to how you are doing.
Carol
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:25 PM

Oh wow. That sounds scary, and I'm so glad it's something that can be taken care of.

Take it easy.

Unread 08-10-2009, 09:06 PM

Since they have to repair the cuff again, I will once again have a 6 week no-lift restriction -- which will delay my employment opportunities unfortunately.

However, I'm certainly glad we are fixing it now before it gets worse or massively infected.
Unread 08-10-2009, 10:21 PM

So sorry that you are going through this, but I wish you a speed recovery from all of this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register