Fibroids - Making my decision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids - Making my decision Fibroids - Making my decision

Unread 07-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Fibroids - Making my decision

Hi - I've just joined. It's wonderful to see so many women supporting each other!

I don't have surgery scheduled yet but it has been recommended that I have my uterus and cervix removed (ovaries can stay). I have a fibroid in my uterus (7cmx5cmx5cm), and due to the fact that it took seven years to finally get a diagnosis, while having excruciating periods, I also have microcytic anemia. So although I am ecstatic that I finally found a doctor to take me seriously, and I am thrilled to have a diagnosis, I am concerned that the gyno now just wants to do the procedure that he is most comfortable with, instead of what is truly the best for me.

I am concerned that perhaps I could have a less invasive procedure, and concerned that he has not given me a specific medical reason why MY cervix needs to come out. He keeps talking in generalities, rather than about me specifically.

I am now finding that I have to build myself up and prepare for doctor appointments like I am going to do battle. Trying to get one diagnosis was difficult but it seems that trying to get a second opinion may be a challenge as well.

Thanks for listening! I'd love to hear stories (good or bad) that are similar to my case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Re: Making my decision

well I've just joined and i have lots of questions myself.
I've had a myomectomy in 2005 and should have gotten a second opinion.
A "myo" is a surgery where they remove tumors out of the uterus.
my doc said you need a hysterectomy , all i thought was my 'womenhood' not thinking to do research on the diagnosis.now i have to return back to the doctors for another examination in which i know the answer well be total hysterectomy.
all i can say is have family and friends support. do you research and be strong.

good luck
Unread 07-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Re: Making my decision

Thanks vicki2319 - I really appreciate hearing from you. It is so hard to sort through it all...I've read so many books and online articles and now I feel that more than anything I need to hear what other women are experiencing. We are not doctors...but we are experts in what we are feeling and going through. At times I want to rush out and have a hysterectomy as quickly as possible to make my symptoms go away....but I am trying to force myself to have abit of patience to think this through a little longer and talk with women like yourself.

I would love to hear how your appointment goes if you feel like talking about it. I guess as difficult as it might be to hear that they once again recommend a hysterectomy, I hope you still feel that the path you took with the myo was the right one for you at the time. And...maybe you will still have other options that work better for you?

My thoughts are with you, and thanks again for the thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Re: Fibroids - Making my decision

Hi fire

Here is a link to the Fibroids section of our Resources Directory: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=26

I hope you will seek out another medical opinion until you feel comfortable with the treatment plan. My doc #2 had much more cutting & pasting in mind than doc #3.

Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 07-30-2009, 12:36 AM

I was given a choice - either procedure to remove fibroids or hysterectomy. My Dr. explained to me that if he removed fibroids only than there was a good chance that they would return and would have to do again (he said every couple years). I opted for the hysterectomy because I did not want to deal with my periods or the cramping again and since I had no plans for future children this was the best choice for me. But my Dr. was wonderful and fully explained all my options and left it up to me. Good luck, I know this isn't the easiest choice you will have to make but you do have support here whenever you need it.
Unread 07-30-2009, 04:23 AM

Hello!
I faced the same decision two years ago and today is my hysterversary!. I had a very large fibroid that was causing me LOTS of pain and discomfort. I chose the hyster route as I did not want children and had a high risk of fibroids returning due to my age. My doctor also explained that because of the way the fibroid was, there would be a high risk of hemorrhage with a myomectomy. As he was experienced with both procedures and cautious about making sure I was making the right decision for me, I was happy that he was not just recommending the easy way out.

I still have my ovaries, but no cervix as the way the fibroid had taken over meant that the lot had to go. I'm not certain, but seeing as the cervix is just part of the uterus, is there a risk of fibroids growing back if it is left behind? Anyway, result - best thing I ever did...it has literally changed my life. No pain, no periods, no worry, more active, much, much happier, better sex life. Oh and did I mention happy??

It's not an easy decision for everyone and you have to make it to suit your own happiness, but talking to those who have been through it is a good way to get lots of information.

Good luck!
Unread 07-30-2009, 06:20 AM

my first dr offered me a vaginal hysterectomy which removes the cervix. he wasnt trained to do the less invasive type and couldnt offer it to me, but also didnt tell me it was an option. i did a lot of research and knew i wanted to keep my cervix for sure. i went to another dr for a second opinon and told him i wanted my cervix and ovaries to stay. he agreed since both were healthy that there was no reason to remove them. getting a second opinion and doing a lot of research was the best thing i did. tell your dr youre interested in keeping your cervix and if he cant give you a medical reason why it should be removed, maybe he isnt the dr for you. good luck with your decision!
Unread 07-30-2009, 12:31 PM

Hi Fire,

I think getting a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion is a good idea. I got two opinions myself on my fibroids and it is still one of the best things I ever did for my long term health.

My 1st Dr...who I had had for (5) years...recommended an abdominal hyst (TAH). She told me I was not a good candidate for a less invasive hyst. My 2nd opinion disagreed and he recommended a laparoscopic hyst (LSH). I am still pleased with the results.

I found out after my hyst that my 1st Dr. could *not* do laparoscopic hysts. Funny how she never mentioned that at our consultation!!! So...seek out another opinion or two until you feel comfortable with what the Dr. is telling you. A hyst is major surgery so do all the research you can. Drs give us options and we make the final decision when it comes to our bodies.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 07-30-2009, 12:53 PM

Fire,

It sounds like you've had difficulties finding a physician that could diagnose you but I have to say, anytime you have to prepare for a battle before you go to see your doctor, it isn't a good sign.

Your health is your utmost concern. You have a right and a responsibility to ask as many questions as you need to and get as much info as you can so that you can make an educated decision. Your doctor has the responsibility to answer your questions, help guide you to the right decision, and then execute your wishes to the best of their ability. In other words, dealing with issues of your health should be a collaborative process.

I always recommend that you have a second opinion, no matter what type of treatment you're considering. If your doctor isn't willing to cooperate with you, then I think you should find someone who will.

Sorry to vent, but doctors like yours really upset me. This process is stressful enough without having a doctor dictate your treatment to you while making you feel bad at the same time.

All that being said, I had a myo 9 years ago to remove several fibroids. They grew back bigger and badder than ever within the last two years + plus I developed a nasty adhesion (intestine connected to uterus) as a result of the Myo. Even though I have never had kids, I decided the best option for me was the hyst (removed cervix and kept ovaries). I am now 8 weeks out and feel great. I'm Really excited for the next phase in my life!

Good luck to you!
Unread 07-30-2009, 01:09 PM

Hi Fire:

If you aren't sure your Dr has given you all the alternatives, please ask about them.

I had a TAH due to fibroids. My Dr talked to me about 2 different methods of ablation, but didn't mention a myomectomy to me mainly because she knew I wasn't interested in bearing children & wanted to end my heavy painful periods for good. But she answered my questions about it when I asked.

She did speak in generalities as well, especially when talking about my cervix. But she didn't poo-poo my concerns - she explained that the very most recent studies she had read indicated the cervix didn't play as big a role in sexual response as previously thought. And she didn't feel that I needed it for support. I decided to get rid of my cervix, too, since I had some mild dysplasia previously & the idea of a mini-period after a hyster just seemed preponderous to me. And the Dr assured me that she cut very carefully around the very edge of the cervix to leave the vagina as long as possible. I was concerned about a lack of uterine contractions during an O, but that hasn't been a problem....

Your Dr may be more comfortable with the hyster procedure OR he may be concerned about your blood loss with a myomectomy. A lot of research I read indicated a myo could be more dangerous than a hyster since the op could take longer & that hysters actually have fewer complications overall (perhaps because Dr's are more used to performing a hyster).

I found that although my Dr was very thorough in her diagnosis & perfectly willing to answer ANY question that I may have had, she didn't volunteer a whole lot of "extra" information. The Dr's are so used to doing to the procedures that they forget how overwhelming it can be "our first time" (LOL) & they just give us the basics - how many days in the hospital, how long before driving, etc. I also think they are used to women just doing what they say without asking a lot of questions - both the Dr's surgical scheduler & the hospital pre-op nurse commented that most people didn't have as many questions as I did.

You may want to write down your questions so you can remember them all. Please ask as many questions as you need to in order to feel comfortable with your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register