TVH 6/29 with posterior repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH 6/29 with posterior repair TVH 6/29 with posterior repair

Unread 08-02-2009, 10:16 PM
TVH 6/29 with posterior repair

It all started with a GI bug that swept through the house in mid March 2009. After five days of cleaning up after everybody's "mishaps", I knew I would eventually succumb and I did on a Friday morning. The diarrhea and vomiting was horrible, as it was for everyone else in the family. It must have been a week later when I felt what I quickly self-diagnosed as a cystocele and a rectocele. It came on that fast. Two weeks later I had an appointment and my diagnosis was swiftly confirmed. My uterus was fine but I had a pretty bad cystocele/rectocele and would I like to have it fixed? I agreed instantly. I was not about to fuss with a pessary or put up with the awful bulging and pressure, and my doctor was in total agreement. She offered to do a hysterectomy to make room for a good solid repair of my prolapses and I agreed to that. At 49, last of 3 babies born 14 yrs ago, and a tubal ligation, I saw no need to keep my uterus.

I scheduled for 6/29/09 on purpose so my DH would be able to be home from work to take care of everything. Surgery day arrived fast and at the same time seemed to take forever to get here. The weekend before DH and I went away for the weekend and had a great time doing outdoorsy stuff, which took my mind off of my Monday morning "appointment." I didn't have to do any bowel prep which was nice, but in retrospect I'm not sure I didn't suffer more with gas and constipation because of that. I guess I will never know. We arrived at 6 a.m. and by 7:30 I was all set with my IV and tucked under a disposable air-blanket that was attached by a hose to a thing that blew it up with warm air. I was on fire before she put the blanket on me and told the nurse I wasn't the least bit cold, but she insisted and so I gave in and let her put the stupid thing on me. The anesthesiologist came in and squirted something into my IV and out they rolled me, down the hall to the OR. I felt fuzzy and my ears rang, but I stayed alert and awake until after they put a mask over my face. I remember everything. I wasn't afraid or nervous so I guess the drug they gave me did its job.

In what seemed like a split second my eyes opened (actually 2-1/2 hrs later) and I heard my heartbeat on a monitor and glanced down to see the dreaded Foley tubing coming up over my right leg. The next thought I had was PAIN! I was in some serious pain and didn't feel shy about letting that be known. I think I was moaning and groaning, saying "it hurts", flopping my head from side to side, etc. I could see others in the recovery room resting quietly, and there I am making a huge fuss. I asked for my husband but she said she needed to get my pain under control. He later told me he had called to see when they would let him in and was told that I was in too much pain and they'd pick him up on the way up to the room. Next thing I know I'm in an elevator with a wet washcloth over my eyes and I sense my husband next to me. The pain was finally controlled.

All settled in bed and within an hour I was surprisingly and quite unusually awake. I even made a few phone calls. I had compression pumps on my legs, a catheter, vaginal packing, an IV, a PCA pain pump, oxygen in my nose, a blood pressure cuff, and a pulse ox thing clipped on my finger. Not too comfortable, but that's how I remained until the next morning. They made me get up that evening and stand by the bed and the nurse put a stockinette underwear thing on me with a pad, changed my gown, and had me brush my teeth. That felt so much better. Nurses were so kind and were even spooning me ice chips right after surgery for several hours while I was groggy. The next morning all my "appendages" were serially removed starting with the packing and ending with the IV. By 11 o'clock I was on "pee pee watch", waiting to see how I would do. Since I actually didn't have a cystocele (my uterus was apparently the offending organ, pushing my bladder down) I never had the cystocele repair. My bladder popped right back up as soon as the uterus came out. I was released by 3:30 p.m. and went home feeling pretty good considering.

I immediately began having a problem completely emptying my bladder. Even I could tell. By 7 pm I was having a lot of full bladder discomfort and only getting a trickle. DH took me back to the ER where after 45 min of crying and thrashing about, waiting for them to find a bladder scanner and finally drain my bladder with a catheter, I had some relief. It wasn't my finest moment. Unfortunately the catheter came home with me for 3 days which was another experience I could have done without, but it had to be done. I couldn't pee. They took it out in the office and after a couple days of trickling but being able to keep up with emptying, I was fine. I had the usual gas, constipation, crying jags, sleepless nights, extreme pain with passing stool over a rectocele repair, and fatigue. At 5 weeks postop I'm feeling about 97% and going back to work in a week.

Hystersisters has been a great support, a place where people understand, where your fears and concerns can be addressed, and a place where you can lend support to others going through the same thing. And now the fun starts... Nice underwear without fear of stains, no more boxes of tampons, and most of all the heaviness and discomfort is gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register