New member facing TLH with anterior and posterior repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New member facing TLH with anterior and posterior repair New member facing TLH with anterior and posterior repair

Unread 08-07-2009, 07:06 AM
New member facing TLH with anterior and posterior repair

When my doctor suggested the TLH and A&P repair, I asked about being able to lift my 6 month old baby. He said it wouldn't be a problem, but I read all over the web that you're not supposed to be lifting for a while after the surgery. Anyone else had this done with a young child around?

Also, I'm very concerned about the impact of these surgeries to the sex life. Everyone still feel normal in that area after recovery?

Any advice on leaving the cervix, versus removal?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Re: New member facing TLH with anterior and posterior repair

amycc and

I had a TVH with no repairs, and I was not allowed to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for a while. Even at 6 weeks post-op when I was cleared for everything else, I was told I should take it easy on the lifting. Lifting too much too early can damage the healing tissue.

You might want to talk to your doctor again about the lifting. Ask about specific weight recommendations for post-op lifting. You can even call the hospital and ask what their recommendations typically are. I can't even remember how much a six-month-old baby typically weighs!

Will you have help for several weeks after your surgery? If you can have someone else do the lifting for you for the first six weeks, you'll have the best chance for recovery. After all, you have only one chance to heal right. You might also want to take a look at our Post-op Resources page, which includes an article on Recovering with Small Children.

As for your questions about the cervix and about sex life, that's kind of an individual thing. I had my cervix removed due to some previous abnormal paps and trying to avoid cervical cancer. As for sex, there are no guarantees. I'm almost eight months post-op, and generally I'd say my sex life is pretty normal--but there are some times when I'm not comfortable or things don't "work" the way I want them to. My body is still healing, though, and it all continues to improve.

You've found a wonderful bunch of women here, and we'll be here to share our experiences with you as you prepare for your surgery.

Unread 08-07-2009, 08:08 PM

I've had TVH with anterior and posterior repairs. When I left the hospital, my urogynaecologist told me to DO NOTHING for the first 6 weeks then he listed some of his don'ts - lift or carry anything heavier than what you will personally eat or drink, push or pull anything, sweep, etc. It is to give you the best chance of healing at this critical stage post-op.
After my 6 wk check-up and with clearance to lift more than a cup of tea/glass of wine and my food, I was conscious of the impact on my internal stitches of lifting things like wet clothes or moving a stool. There is a long term lifting restriction on posterior repairs of 10- 15 kg that's 20 - 30 lb I think, but it also seems to vary a bit among the doctors. I am almost 9 weeks post op and I haven't tried anything that heavy.

I suspect that your doctor is not being practical or realistic about this. Your 6 mth old is probably within your lifetime lifting restriction now, but 6 mth old babies grow into toddlers and small children who still want to be picked up and cuddled.

Is there a reason to proceed with your surgery immediately? I was able to delay mine until my children were beyond needing lifting (although my 10 yr old recently asked whether I will ever be able to lift him again!), but that may not be your story.

There are many interesting posts from women working out how to manage small children after a posterior repair. You can search the forum to find them. There are also a few from those who lifted too much too many times and needed repair of their repairs.

This is not an easy decision, so good luck with it.
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2009, 08:11 PM

And sex is different but still good. Quite a few posts on this too.
J

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register