Home Sweet Home | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home Sweet Home Home Sweet Home

Unread 08-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Home Sweet Home

I made it through the whole ordeal of surgery, and I am home now moving very slowly.

My son and a friend were great in every possible way....communicating with others and just helping me make it through each day. There were some days that were questionable. They provided the kind of support some people only dream about.

So, the doctor removed two lymph nodes in my abdomen that definitely showed cancer on the PET scan, and he decided to remove more in the vicinity even though no cancer was seen on the PET. When he got the Path report back, all nodes had cancer cells which were the same as my first cancer....epithelial ovarian cancer. As they say, "ovarian cancer whispers, so listen."

My doctor is the most wonderful human being on earth. He does not let anything get by him, and I am glad of that even though I am not sure I can take any more surgeries. Abdominal surgery is very difficult as most of you know, and at this point I don't even want to entertain the idea. At least the doctor thinks I have bought myself more time with the surgery I had last week. So, more time in this world is certainly a precious gift.

At this time, I am lying low at home and only seeing family members. I am still in pain and move around slowly. I have people close to get me the things I need. This is just going to take a while. I cannot drive for some time, and next I have to face chemotherapy. I don't know when that will start yet, and of course I am dreading it. It takes you to the depths of the lows before you can come back and live right.

I know there must be a better way to treat cancer, but we have not found it yet. We have to continue using the methods that have already been used for decades. I have to wonder at times which is worse...the treatment or the cancer. At this time, I will stick with the treatment because I know there is no way to fight ovarian cancer without weapons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Re: Home Sweet Home

Welcome home! You know the drill - take it slow and heal well.

I apologize, but I can't remember which type of chemo you were going on this time?

Its good to hear from you BlueArtemis - please keep us updated on your progress!

Unread 08-09-2009, 10:14 AM

(((Blue))) It is good to hear from you. Sounds like your doctor was very thorough removing neighboring nodes, etc. May the healing go well as you gain strength to better help your body accept the upcoming treatments. If your hospital has a support group for cancer patients, you might consider joining too. You are a fighter and we know you will mount your strength and courage to get through this. I'll be keeping you in prayer and sending positive thoughts too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2009, 11:21 AM

Isn't Artemis the goddess of hunting: a brave goddess who fights? Use your arrow and bow (or in modern times: chemo and surgery) to fight this sneaky disease!
On wikipedia it says that the etymology of Artemis has a connection to "safe and sound". That is what I wish you: to heal and to become safe and sound again.
I am sending you lots of positive thoughts and wish you well.
Unread 08-09-2009, 05:24 PM

Good to hear from you! Here are some healing thoughts and hugs for you --

monami
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:46 AM

Thanks so much for your sweet words! The doctor thinks he will put me on Gemzar/carboplatin, but he sent off a sample of my tumor to get the chemo resistance test. So, he may change his mind. I made it without pain meds yesterday!

Yep, I am Artemis and I am ready to shoot C in the butt!
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:39 AM

Wow Blue, I am sorry you are having to go through this, but with an attitude like yours, you can only WIN!! Go get em!

Carol
Unread 08-11-2009, 10:17 AM

Fighting back! Been off pain pills for two days and feel better about that. The night sweats are a problem, and I thought they were caused by the pain meds.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register