How much time off work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much time off work? How much time off work?

Unread 08-10-2009, 06:12 PM
How much time off work?

What type of hysterectomy are you having and how much time off work is your doctor recommending?

I have the luxury of being able to work from home temporarily (as in for a week or two) if necessary. Depending on the type of hysterectomy I get, how soon could I work from home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Re: How much time off work?

Hi PCAN
How much recovery time you need will depend on a myriad of things. If you post a bit more information, like the reason for your operation, any other procedures to be carried out in addition to hysterectomy, what your Dr has said so far, your age and level of fitness/activity/state of health - then you'll be able to match yourself with women who have similar stories.

Good luck in your hunt for information
J
Unread 08-10-2009, 06:24 PM

My family doctor and my gynecologist both said I would be looking at having a hysterectomy if the ablation failed (had it in January), but I have not been told yet what type my doctor would carry out.

I am 30 and in good physical shape. NO other procedures at this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2009, 07:49 PM

It does depend on so many things.

I had an LSH. I planned to be back up and running in a week. That did not happen. I ended up staying out 5 weeks.

Now, mind you, I was able to work from home, via phone (my first phone call was the day after surgery, shortly before I left the hospital). I sell wine for a living and I was able to call my accounts and have them give me orders over the phone....which is great as I am on 100% commission and do not have any sick pay.

I actually enjoyed it...and probably could have gone back in three weeks, but it was so nice to have some time to focus on me....and my health. I tried to get back out there on week 2, but I ended up getting so dizzy the first day that my Dr told me to stay out for five weeks...so I did.

Have to laugh due to the fact that my boss never had a clue that I was not out on the streets. Normally am in and out of my car 15-20 times a day. During that time, I actually called my gas credit card company as I had not received a bill. They told me that I had not purchased any gas in the billing cycle. LOL!!!

My boss was shocked, two months later, when I told him how long I was at home. My sales numbers were up and I was given an award for sales, while I was home. Hey, sympathy sales work for me. LOL!!!!
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:06 PM

I was told I'll be out any where from 2-5 weeks. It all depends on my recovery. Work has me on LOA from yesterday through Sept 6, subject to change and doctor's release.

I'm fortunate to have a relative easy and flexible desk job. When I do go back, I have the luxury of being able to work myself back up to full 8 hour days. If all goes well, I'd like to start back after the scheduled leave and only put in 3-5 hour shifts a couple times a week.
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:08 PM

I had LAVH w/BSO and bladder sling on July 7th and today was my first day back at work. However, I also work from home as a transcriptionist and I started that on Week 2. I felt perfectly fine and could have started typing the day after I came home from the castle, but I decided to take advantage of the "two week vacation".
Everyone heals differently and you can't compare yourself to anyone else. Take it a day at a time and give yourself time to heal properly. You only get one chance.
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:22 PM

PCAN

I have a job that allows me to work from home at some times of the year. I had a TVH and thought I would be able to begin working part-time after two weeks. I was so wrong! I was tired, I couldn't get comfortable, my hormones were all over the place and causing crying jags, and I couldn't concentrate. And although I was pretty much off my pain meds by that time, many women aren't.

It's better to plan for as much time as possible away from work. Although you may be able to resume some work at two weeks, based on my own experience I wouldn't recommend it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register