Packing for the hospital/need suggestions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Packing for the hospital/need suggestions Packing for the hospital/need suggestions

Unread 08-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Packing for the hospital/need suggestions

My surgery is tomorrow and I'm packing my things for the hospital. I've the article about what to take to the hospital. I would like to know what other things that were not listed are good things to take with me. If anyone can think of something that helped you to relax or feel more comfortable please let me know. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Re: Packing for the hospital/need suggestions

mslettboo,

I haven't made it to the casle yet, but here are some ideas that I have come across:

GasX Thin Strips
Lip Balm
IPOD or MP3 player loaded with relaxing music or your favorites
Tummy pillow
Toothbrush/Toothpaste
Shampoo/Conditioner
Hairbrush/Comb
Your Own Bed Pillow
Comfy PJ's
Clothes to wear home
Slippers
Robe
Something to read
Deodorant
Bath soap (if you prefer a certain kind)
Hand/Body Lotion (for the nurse to give you a back rub)

That's all I can think of right now. I am sure other sisters will have other great ideas that I have forgotten about!

obi1
Unread 08-13-2009, 09:38 AM

Oh, sorry for another post, but I almost forgot -

when I was getting pre-certified for my surgery I found out that my insurance company does not pay for what they consider to be "extras" like the admission pack, which generally includes a water pitcher, kleenex, etc. (depends on the hospital). They will also not pay for pads, even though I am having a hysterectomy! I was going to call them and ask if I should just have the surgery in my living room, since I have to provide everything else myself (or pay hospital charges if they provide it). It might be worth checking into.

obi1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2009, 09:42 AM

Don't forget a crown to wear home to remind everyone you are now a pampered princess!
Unread 08-13-2009, 09:54 AM

I am not sure if my visit to the hospital was different than most because I am in the Army and went to an Army hospital, but...I read all sort of advice and articles on this website. So I was prepared, and packed all sorts of stuff.

In the end, I was not allowed to take a shower, change, or anything else like that. The only personal hygene I could perform was brush teeth, wash face, and comb hair.

Also, the problem with packing a bag, is getting stuff out of it, if there is no one there to help. Truly, though, I was in so much pain, most of that other stuff didn't matter! (Yes my body needed lotion, but I was in no condition to contort myself in various positions to get that lotion on. Getting water into my cup was more important than getting lip balm on. etc.) All you are going to be thinking about is your body, and the changes it just went through - looking nice in a robe or entertaining yourself with the right type of music is going to be the last thing on your mind.

As I said, I was in an Army hospital. So, needless to say, you do NOT get the things or service you would normally get in a civilian hospital. But they did provide, me with pregnancy pads, at the least! (I had a TAH. I barely spotted for a day. So hopefully you won't even need pads.) Your insurance company sucks. You should definitely ask them about the living room thing! ha!
Unread 08-13-2009, 10:56 AM

I was in the hospital for 4 days. Here's my thoughts on your list:

GasX Thin Strips - good idea, but don't take without permission
Lip Balm a must!
IPOD or MP3 player loaded with relaxing music or your favorites this helps with night time noise, but remember to bring a wall charger - you don't have a USB to charge it in
Tummy pillow - leave this in the car for the ride home, ask nurse for extra pillows as soon as you are able
Toothbrush/Toothpaste so much better than hospital supplied
Shampoo/Conditionerwill you be there long enough to wash your hair? I wasn't, and wasn't up to even taking a shower until I got home
Hairbrush/Comb
Your Own Bed Pillowdepends on your personal comfort needs, they can get lost or soiled in the hospital
Comfy PJ'syou don't want any pajama pants -between the leg cuffs, catheter and everyone wanting to check you - I chose to stick with the hospital gowns
Clothes to wear homesuggest you wear what you arrived in, less to lose
Slippers
Robeused another gown backwards, my hospital has really nice, roomy gowns
Something to readI had a magazine, but couldn't focus enough to watch tv let alone read
Deodoranta must!!
Bath soap (if you prefer a certain kind)I brought the Oil of Olay face towellettes - I could "freshen up" in bed and they felt so nice
Hand/Body Lotion (for the nurse to give you a back rub)good luck, if your nurse has that kind of time and is willing - I was sending out search parties for my nurses lol
recommend your cell phone or a list of phone numbers of people you may need to call (including your short term disability provider)
scrunchy if your hair is long - mine is long and curly, so I had it straightened the day before my surgery. I kept it in the scrunchy so it wouldn't tangle and I could just run a comb through it each morning. It was more comfortable than pulling my own hair everytime I moved in the bed

small bag you can clip to the bed railing so you can find your brush, chap stick, etc. I used a makeup bag and kept all of the above in it. Nothing to unpack or lose. DH hung my clothes in the closet and put my flat sandals in the closet. Otherwise, everything I owned was in that little bag. so much easier!

an advocate. You won't feel well, and will need someone to help you communicate when you get frustrated. Extra love is always good too.
Unread 08-13-2009, 11:20 AM

There's a helpful list of things to take to the hospital in Pre-Op Articles that you can find here. I didn't take everything on that list because most of the things were provided for me by the hospital.

I had my surgery in an Army hospital and the only things I took were a robe (although they provided one), slippers, earplugs, hair brush, and personal music device. They provided a toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, lotion, towels, water jug for my ice chips, pads, etc.

Some women like to take their own pillow since the one's in hospital aren't always the greatest. I wish you the very best with your surgery!

Deb
Unread 08-13-2009, 11:53 AM

Hi, I was not in the hospital long enough to shower (46 hours) so I didn't need any supplies except a tooth brush and comb. I took a small fanny pack and attached it to the bed. It held my cell phone, lip balm, glasses, and comb.

I also had an "easy read" book, that was invaluable in the middle of the night when I was not able to sleep.
Unread 08-13-2009, 12:06 PM

I went home in the cloths I went into the hospital in. I couldn't have used anything else even if I had packed it. I sent everything home with my hubby including my cell phone (there is a phone in your room you can use if you need to). I didn't feel like I could keep track of anything. I am not saying not to pack anything but if you are anything like me you wont need it. Best wishes.
Unread 08-13-2009, 12:16 PM

I was in the hospitial for 4 days and didn't really need much of anything at all from home.. the hospital supplies just about everything. My time there was just focused on sleeping, handling pain, passing gas and urine,walking.... just basic survival type stuff ... lol

I had the tv on but couldn't really focus on anything for any length of time.. and definately couldn't read anything. Music may have been helpful.. I did take a light robe to put over my back when walking..but wore the hospital gown the whole time (much easier to get in and out of .. and if you have a catheter and iv lines) I also took slippers.. but never wore them the hospital provides footies to wear when walking with rubber stuff to keep from skidding.

I took a shower each morning... washed my hair once using hospital soap and shampoo. Brought a toothbrush but the hospital provides them. Nurses also brought GasX or anything else you need... i wore my hospital gown home with my robe over it...

Good luck with your surgery,

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register